Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums AJA Video Systems Kona 3 K-Box out of sync with FCP

• Kona 3 K-Box out of sync with FCP

• Simon Green

December 1, 2009 at 12:37 pm

hi there

I am running FCP 7 using the Kona 3 K-box and all of my audio is consistently 3 frames out of sync. I have spent the last 3 months working on an archive show and so I thought it was just the way the files had been encoded and delivered. however, I am now starting a BBC project and another TV series, both shot on XDCAM and I am still having the same problems.

I went through a recent post where someone was having intermittent problems with this, and so I have done a system software update and have just installed the Kona 7.1 drivers, but I am still have the same problem. I don’t really know where to look for the answer as the AJA control panel has nothing on it about sync although I have it on ‘freerun’. Coincidentally, I have another suite which is identical and it also has the same problem so I don’t think it is faulty gear.

Anyhoo, ideas would be very welcome! Also, my audio is coming through the analogue output on the k-box.

Thanks

Simon

• walter biscardi

December 1, 2009 at 12:37 pm

Final Cut Pro Playback Offset needs to be set to 0. Default is 4.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author.
    HD Post and Production
    Biscardi Creative Media

“Foul Water, Fiery Serpent” now in Post.

Creative Cow Forum Host:
    Apple Final Cut Pro, Apple Motion, Apple Color, AJA Kona, Business & Marketing, Maxx Digital.

Blog!

Twitter!

• Simon Green

December 1, 2009 at 3:56 pm

Thank you SO much. I have been going up the wall thinking it was the Kona box! Out of curiosity, why is this there and why is it defaulted to 4 frames offset?

Thanks again!

• gary adcock

December 1, 2009 at 5:54 pm

[Simon Green] “I have been going up the wall thinking it was the Kona box! Out of curiosity, why is this there and why is it defaulted to 4 frames offset? “

I believe that was a default set by the app in the early FW days and has stayed unchanged in the underlying code within FCP since.

Its been at 4 frames since something like FCP 1.2 or so?

gary adcock
    Studio37
    HD & Film Consultation
    Post and Production Workflows for the Digitally Inclined
    Chicago, IL

https://library.creativecow.net/articles/adcock_gary/AJAIOHD.php

• Simon Green

December 1, 2009 at 6:10 pm

Thanks Gary. I wonder why I have never had this problem before – would/could it just be the use of the Kona that creates the problem? Does it have something to do with the fact that my monitor is in sync (well now it is) and FCP on my computer screens is out of sync?

Interesting…..!

• Jeremy Garchow

December 1, 2009 at 7:22 pm

Like Gary says, it was originally designed for firewire latency. You could then adjust it so your external monitor and FCP canvas were in sync. With the Kona cards depending if you’re doing any conversion, there’s virtually no latency. Sometimes, it can be off by a frame if you are down or up-converting, and some flat panel monitors will add even more latency.

Jeremy

• Jason Boucher

December 2, 2009 at 8:12 pm

I’m actually in sync playing back DVCPro1080 with a 4 frame offset. I just picked up an FSI 24″ panel and have noticed I sync issues. I set it from 0 to 4 frames as a result, but come to think of it, I updated the Kona driver at the same time. Could there be an issue there?

greydogcreative.com

• Simon Green

December 3, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Hi Walter, I see what the offset does – it syncs Final Cut with my external monitor so that they are in sync. however, it is my external monitor/kona 3 that is a couple of frames out. Somehow it is pushing it out of sync. Is there something in the Kona 3 output that could cause this?

• Jeremy Garchow

December 3, 2009 at 4:17 pm

[Jason Boucher] “I set it from 0 to 4 frames as a result, but come to think of it, I updated the Kona driver at the same time. Could there be an issue there?”

If it’s in sync, there’s no issue. When you reset the drivers, it also resets the FCP prefs, so it went from your set 0, to the default 4.

• Simon Green

December 3, 2009 at 6:31 pm

Hi there

no it is not the sync in final cut, it is the sync on the external HD monitor (Sony LMD26inch) which is being played through the Kona 3. So basically, what ever is coming out of the Kona is 3 frames out. Any help is desperately needed!

Thanks

Viewing 1 - 10 of 23 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can. Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy