Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums VEGAS Pro Is VEGAS 19 more stable than VEGAS 18?

• Is VEGAS 19 more stable than VEGAS 18?

Steve Rhoden updated 3 months, 1 week ago 10 Members · 18 Posts
  • Graham Bernard

December 21, 2021 at 10:32 am

My needs aren’t like others here. My needs are to get to my narrative and experiment as quickly as possible. Notwithstanding the absence of an up-to-date Titler, the Tools now present in VP19 are outstanding and raise its relevance to my type of editing head and shoulders above VP18. I’ve been happy to almost ecstatic with most incarnations of VP. Who pines for Media Manager? I do. Now, I say all this because the “new” gang (2016) at VegasPro, have pulled off an amazing trick: they’ve developed New Tools and alongside checking and rechecking stability. This five-year “proving-ground” has delivered VP19. Along with this outcome has come an openness from Team-Vegas that I’d not recognized from the past, almost 20 years, since SONY bought SF. More Build updates and more communications from Team-Vegas.

As to Hardware muscle power, this year I’ve been very fortunate, in as much as I’ve had assembled a MONSTA! machine under the insurance cover I’d paid for back in 2019. I now have an i9 System powering/matched and working with an RTX3080 GPU. For me, VP19 is both swift and stable.

• Dennis Cupp

January 10, 2022 at 3:11 pm

I am not new to the forums but i am an infrequent visitor/contributor due to my dwindling time in the Video Editing world (more of a Music Producer goon).

Just wanted to say how relieved i am to see others talking about how TERRIBLE of an upgrade Vegas 18 was. It forced me go back to the previous version i was working on (Pro 12) to get things completed. Now i get the incessant emails about upgrading to 19. Riiiiiiiight…….

Until Version 12 becomes totally obsolete, i’ll never give this company money again. I have not seen software crash this much since i had a Cakewalk 9 on a windows 98 machine (shivers in horror). Back in those days i’d have to hit the ‘save’ button while tracking a live vocal BEFORE hitting the stop button on a punch in…. in fear of The Blue Screen of Death. Yeah, that was a standard work flow for me.

Vegas 18 was shockingly bad. Unforgivably bad! Especially when i open a V12 project in V12 successfully and then try and open (and play) the same V12 project in V18 only to crash over and over and over again. I did THIS test after a new project kept crashing consistently on V18.

In my many years editing video with Vegas under the Sony umbrella i cant recall an upgrading going this badly. Vegas 18 is unusable as far as i am concerned. V19 should be a total free upgrade to those of us who gave this company cold hard cash for V18.

• Steve Rhoden

January 10, 2022 at 5:51 pm

Well, i’m not here to persuade or convince any of you to continue using Vegas pro. I share my problem free experiences using Vegas Pro because a question was asked regarding. I’ve never had an issue with version 17, 18 or 19, they are all rock solid on my systems.

Mostly when all these issues pops up using Vegas, it’s usually an indication that it is conflicting with something installed on your system etc, or something you are dropping on the timeline!

Happy Editing !

• Luigi Perrotta

January 10, 2022 at 11:07 pm

I am happy this is working for you Steve!

My Vegas 18 is very stable now, the problem is more than Vegas 18 or 19.

The problem is with the support!

If you try out a program and have problems, you fill out a ticket explaining the problem with screenshots etc. Support gives you an answer that has nothing to do with your problem. You answer another 4 days a week or more goes by, you get another wrong answer, you respond then the blame game starts. Your system is at fault, another program is causing the problem etc. These are facts when I first installed Vegas 18 Pro. Finally a member on this forum figured that out, the problem was resolved by just unchecking a box in their preferences.

I didn’t learn the lesson I downloaded a trial 19 and looked like I had the same problems. I just removed the program from my computer and had to reinstall 18 again because it wouldn’t work anymore either.

My suggestion would be don’t try the new Vegas with a project you’re working on. Rename the project and open it in the new program. If everything get screwed you still have the original!

I love Vegas Pro, when it works it is a fantastic program!

Magix we don’t mind paying the money for an upgrade but give us something that works or at least when there is problem fix it!

• Michael Kash

February 15, 2022 at 2:47 am

Like many others I have been using vegas for many years. 2 years ago prior to upgrading to 18 with many issues prior I chose to upgrade my hardware. Ended up getting a MSI laptop(Made for gaming) and I literally have had like 4 crashes in those 2 years. Prior I was using your basic dell laptop with a crash always lingering,lol.

• Luigi Perrotta

February 15, 2022 at 2:03 pm

Michael,

I am happy it works for you. Both my PCs are gaming desktop.

After a big time crash with Vegas 19 Trial version, I went back to my Vegas Pro 18, it works fine but I had to reinstall everything and install again. If I was running a business this would drive me crazy. Probably the video would be made with hardware.

I am a musician and record my shows, I went back to record with a digital recorder. The best thing I ever did, just set-up the recorder at home, on the job just push the record button and it records trouble free for 4 hours!

Is there a mechanical device that let you video record and edit for hours?

• Sean Michael

March 12, 2022 at 6:20 pm

Just a quick update. Thanks to all who have replied to this thread.

Since my original post, a couple of major updates have been made to VEGAS 19 (the most recent is Build 532). Overall the program seems to be more stable for me now. I’m experiencing far fewer whiteouts and crashes. Crashes still happen occasionally but they are rare.

One key change to my workflow has been the use of proxy files. I’ve found that VEGAS struggles with the files produced by my Sony A7Siii (usually shot in 4k 10-bit color etc.). I am now creating proxy files for all of the Sony A7Siii files (a simple right click on the file and “Create Video Proxy”). It takes some extra time but the performance benefits seem to be worth it.

• Steve Rhoden

March 16, 2022 at 7:53 pm

That’s correct Sean, a few updates since this thread was started…… And added to that, Vegas 19 has a bit more added features since Vegas 18, that i absolutely love!

Viewing 11 - 18 of 18 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy