Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums VEGAS Pro Is VEGAS 19 more stable than VEGAS 18?

• Is VEGAS 19 more stable than VEGAS 18?

Sean Michael updated 2 hours, 38 minutes ago 4 Members · 6 Posts
  • Sean Michael

November 4, 2021 at 9:02 pm

I have been editing with VEGAS for more than 15 years. Unfortunately I’ve found VEGAS 18 to be the most problematic version I’ve ever used. A typical editing session involves full crashes/freezes every 15 minutes or so, of the kind that require a complete reboot. Even with autosave backing up the file every 1 minute, this ongoing disruption is costing me a lot of time & money with every project. The problem is not my hardware — I am using very powerful hardware (CPU/GPU, plenty of RAM, SSD drives, etc.). I have made every effort to properly configure VEGAS 18 to minimize crashing (adjusting available RAM, updating drivers, etc.) — my efforts have not been successful. I am at my wit’s end with this software, to the point I’m ready to go out and spend $4500 switching to Apple / Mac specifically for a stable editing experience. Hence the topic of my post — is VEGAS 19 more stable than VEGAS 18? Or would I be better off cutting my losses and starting with something new?

• Red-Rob Rothkopf

November 4, 2021 at 9:25 pm

Hey Sean.

I can’t comment on 19, but have been editing on Vegas the same length as you. Although I’ve had an occasional crash with 18 it sounds like my experience isn’t quite as bad as yours, and mine depends on the project, plug-ins, what my source file formats are and if I’ve built proxies, and whether I have GPU turned on or off inside of Vegas (off is almost always more stable, albeit lower performance in some areas).

More usual than not it’s pretty darned solid for me.

Have you posted in the VegasCreativeSoftware forums, or filed a report with MAGIX to try to get to the root cause? I’m not saying that submitting a report with MAGIX has *ever* actually led to identifying the cause of my own problems or a fix — but that would seem like the “normal” way to get it fixed.

–Rob

• Jeff Schroeder

November 5, 2021 at 12:47 am

Before you lose any more sleep try the tips this guy has. He is very good at Vegas.

Some contents or functionalities here are not available due to your cookie preferences!

This happens because the functionality/content marked as “Google Youtube” uses cookies that you choosed to keep disabled. In order to view this content or use this functionality, please enable cookies: click here to open your cookie preferences.

• Sean Michael

November 8, 2021 at 6:47 pm

Thanks for your replies. I have watched the video and made all of the suggested changes.

I edited for about an hour today before my first crash (sadly this is doing well for VEGAS 18).

During a typical editing crash, video preview playback freezes, then the program stalls. I get a program “Not Responding” message, the page goes grey, and I am completely unable to interact with the program. My only recourse is to shut down, reboot, and restore from the autosave file. A disruptive 5-10 minute process. This usually works until the next crash, which may happen at any time. I rarely get an error report since the program is simply frozen. I will check out the Vegas Creative forums and see if there are any other suggestions. In the past I’ve had better luck finding solutions from online forums than from corporate emails.

I do often mix different camera files in a typical project — for example, DJI drone / action camera footage, 10-bit Sony A7Siii footage, and Sony AX700 video camera footage. In the past VEGAS was a champ at ingesting different codecs (in fact this was a chief advantage in the early days). Perhaps that’s what’s tripping up the software now.

I don’t enjoy posting complaints. I certainly don’t relish the thought of leaving VEGAS behind and learning a new platform (not to mention transitioning all of my archived video content to the Mac platform) but I’m at my wit’s end. I was hoping that MAGIX would focus on stability/reliability but it doesn’t seem to be happening. Thanks again for your help.

• Gabriella Bank

November 10, 2021 at 10:03 pm

I am having similar experiences. Vegas user for over 15 years. Keep going back to 17 now. Can’t take the stress to fail deadlines.

• Sean Michael

December 2, 2021 at 10:48 pm

I ended up buying a new MacBook Pro (M1 Max!) and Final Cut Pro X. $4000 expense. Honestly I am intimidated by the learning curve of FCP X — it will take me years to attain a similar proficiency with this software.

I may give VEGAS 19 a shot while I bring myself up to speed with FCP. I’ll report back with regards to stability. I wish Magix would focus on stability, first and foremost. New features are useless if the software crashes every 15 minutes.

Viewing 1 - 6 of 6 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy