Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums VEGAS Pro Is it worth going from Vegas 10 to 11?

• Is it worth going from Vegas 10 to 11?

Angelo Mike updated 10 years ago 11 Members · 17 Posts
  • Michael West

October 22, 2011 at 1:16 am

I just bought a new PC with an i7-2600K which is beautiful. 🙂 I don’t use a dedicated video card as it works very well with the motherboard’s onboard video and transcoding with the CPU is supposed to be enhanced.

I looked at V11 and, to be honest, I really wasn’t that impressed. I’m reading about enhancements for nVidia based cards and supposedly the application is a little snappier but I’m not seeing why I want to pay $140 to upgrade again and wondering if it’s just better to sit this one out.

1) How much benefit do you think one will get aside from having a dedicated GPU, which I don’t have?

2) Anyone know policies if you don’t upgrade one year? Are you penalized to going from V10 to V12?

3) Maybe it’s just me but does anyone think that the interface could use a facelift? I feel like I’m using Windows 95 apps half the time and can’t but wonder think that more emphasis should be placed on workflow and not on tools like 3D that seem a little early in the game (although I could be wrong about this.) I’ll never use that function…

• John Rofrano

October 22, 2011 at 2:37 am

[Michael West] “1) How much benefit do you think one will get aside from having a dedicated GPU, which I don’t have?”

Well… you won’t get any because you don’t have one and you’d need to spend at least another $120 for graphics card that is fast enough to make a difference so it’s probably not worth it for you.

[Michael West] “2) Anyone know policies if you don’t upgrade one year? Are you penalized to going from V10 to V12?”

The special price is only good until the end of November I think. Then it will go up to the normal upgrade price (which is still a lot less than full price but not as good as the early adopter price). Then if you decide to upgrade later, you’ll be asking when will Vegas Pro 12 be coming out and be upset because you will upgrade to 11 and 12 will come out right after that (it always happens that way). So I would suggest that if you don’t upgrade right now, you probably have decided to skip this release entirely.

[Michael West] “3) Maybe it’s just me but does anyone think that the interface could use a facelift?”

No, I have no time to learn a new interface. Vegas Pro looks like a Windows application. That’s why I use Windows. I hate programs that try not to look like Windows and force me to lean their convoluted interface (and I usually don’t).

I agree that 3D is useless to those of us not working in 3D but the same can be said for HD for those people who are not working in HD. There will always be features that you never use. That’s just the way it is.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
    http://www.vasst.com

• Michael West

October 22, 2011 at 3:14 am

John –

Many thanks for your message. I think that my biggest disappointment was from there not being any benefit from having my CPU and motherboard and the reported amazing encoding offered using Quick Sync. While I’d agree with you about the waiting game, I’d be inclined to say that I’d probably be able to wait it out if QS is not included and if the product generally stays as is.

I hear you on the windows bit. To me the issue is more along the lines of the unnecessary scrolling. You click a plugin and it defaults to a window that assumes your monitor is 15″. Perhaps I’m missing some setting but that is what I recall that happens often. I also wish some things were a bit more intuitive. Otherwise, it’s a great editor.

Additionally, I’d have hoped that the DVD/BluRay authoring package was more streamlined. It still is a bit awkward as is.

Thanks again…

• Angelo Mike

October 22, 2011 at 3:33 am

In my opinion, no, it’s not worth it. Logs of bugs and loss of functionality. I was hoping to take advantage of GPU acceleration (which I couldn’t on my Radeon 6870, even though Sony’s website states on a chart that very model and how much faster processing is with it), the NewBlue 3D titles (which slow Vegas to a crawl), and to be able to use the latest plugins with programs like Boris.

3D seems to be the main upgrade, and I hate 3D. So it’s pretty useless, buggy, and crashes (though 10 does for me quite a bit as well). The stabilizer function crashes at 99% for me, and you have to create your own subclip for any clip you wish to stabilize-no more right clicking and Vegas asking if you want to stabilize the entire piece of media and create a subclip for you.

If I didn’t know any better and was offered 10 and 11, I would think 10 was the upgrade. Well, 9, really, since that rarely crashed for me-as soon as I finish the projects I have on 10, I’ll be rolling back to 9.

• Jeff Schroeder

October 22, 2011 at 4:15 am

I am absolutely jazzed about 11. My (AVC) render times are cut by about 40%, My preview Good(full) is excellent even with video effects on. I’ve never had this kind of performance with multiple tracks of AVCHD on any computer. I’ve used the stabilization, no problem. I did have to re-install Vegasaur, not a big deal.

I feel bad for Angelo, he is having poor results with his upgrade. I might recommend a fresh install of Windows, because I think something is causing problems. I keep my computer clean, no trial-ware, no junk, I surf on another system. I wish I could help more.

Jeff

Windows 7 64-bit, ASUS P6X58D, i7 960 3.20GHz, 24.0GB DDR3, 12TB connected storage
    http://www.narrowroadmedia.com

• Angelo Mike

October 22, 2011 at 4:24 am

Even 10 is quite buggy and crashes CONSTANTLY. I’m going to reformat everything and reinstall Windows 7 soon.

• Ken Mitchell

October 22, 2011 at 2:08 pm

NewBlue FX Titler pro is worth the price of the upgrade.Faster than Boris Graffitti (it works in 64 bit) It’s easy to understand and with a little work you can create some tasteful presets. So when you throw in Vegas 11 plus the NewBlueFX Titler Pro….It is definitely worth it.

• Michael West

October 22, 2011 at 2:34 pm

So from what I gather:

(i) If your hardware is the limited kind that they now accelerate
    (ii) If you really want/need NewBlue Titler

Then it’s worth considering an upgrade, which is almost $150. Neither really affects me (I’d rather have a better stabilizer in there like ProDad2 instead of 1.)

• Mike Hinkel

October 23, 2011 at 12:33 am

My (AVC) render times are cut by about 40%

I am liking it so far and that is a big reason. The bugs will get sorted out. I took the time and expense to get my machine to do the work it needs to do. With this upgrade I am glad I did.

• Ted Snow

October 23, 2011 at 2:04 am

[Jeff Schroeder] ” I keep my computer clean, no trial-ware, no junk, I surf on another system”

I’m with you on this one Jeff. My work computers NEVER see the internet and never get anything installed unless it’s something that I need installed for the software I work with.

I “play” on a different computer.

————————————————
    ASUS P8P67 Deluxe MB
    EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1 GB DDR 5
    Intel i7 2600k 3.4 Ghz
    Corsair HX750 power supply
    Two Seagate Barracuda 500g SATA III drives
    16 Gig G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
    Canopus ACEDVio card
    Thermaltake V9 BlacX Edition case
    Xigmatek Dark Knight CPU Cooler
    Win 7 Pro
    VEGAS 8.0
    Sony VX2100
    Alesis HD24

Viewing 1 - 10 of 17 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy