Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy Huge price drop on JVC DTV24L1U 24-Inch MultiFormat LCD Monitor

• Huge price drop on JVC DTV24L1U 24-Inch MultiFormat LCD Monitor

• Erik Naso

April 2, 2008 at 3:19 am

I was looking at this monitor for a while and noticed the price came down 1K this week to $1999.00. This makes HD monitoring almost doable for the budget minded person that was consider using MXO instead. What do you think?

• Shane Ross

April 2, 2008 at 3:50 am

Is this from a reputable dealer?

Well CRIKEY…it certainly is! B&H Photo…

JVC HD LCD

Man…I’d love to get that.

Shane

GETTING ORGANIZED WITH FINAL CUT PRO DVD now for sale!
    http://www.LFHD.net
    Read my blog!

• Erik Naso

April 2, 2008 at 4:11 am

Oh Yeah!!! I put it in my basket on Amazon a few months ago and checked it last night and HELLO! I hate it when that happens. Have you seen this monitor up close and personal?

• Ernie Santella

April 2, 2008 at 5:09 am

Why are you guys so high on this monitor? There’s no HD-SDI inputs?

• Erik Naso

April 2, 2008 at 5:54 am

Well for me I don’t have any HD monitoring. I have to use a down converted signal from my kona card for HDV or any other HD signal. Do you know of a 1080 broadcast HD monitor for a better price. If so let me know. This has been a problem for so long and it seems to me that the prices are going down now to the level that makes it affordable to have a full 1080 broadcast monitor. Sure HD SDI inputs are better but that model from JVC cost $1500.00 more.

Erik

• Colin McQuillan

April 2, 2008 at 5:59 am

My old CRT I’m sure is just about to fold over,, might be a nice economical replacement!

However, a little more than half my work is still SD. Anyone know how well this monitor displays SD?

Colin McQuillan
    Vancouver BC

Octo 3.2, 8gig, 8800GT, 2×23″ ACD, 2TB G-Speed eS, Kona LHe….
    MBP 2.4, 4gig , 2xLacie Quadra 500gig….

• Ben Holmes

April 2, 2008 at 10:02 am

Hi guys. I have the HD-SDI version, which also has the DVI inputs this model has. A product like the Convergent Design Nanoview or similar HD-SDI to HDMI converter would give you a pretty similar experience.

What’s it like? Brilliant. As others have mentioned, it doesn’t really have any competition at this price point anyway, not with a full HD raster. The picture is incredibly clean and natural for a flatscreen, and looks amazing playing 1080 motion projects or converted RED camera footage (which I spend a fair amount of time doing now). I use it connected via a Decklink Multibridge pro, although I also have it connected via DVI as a second desktop (occasional use where I’m not working with video frame sizes the MBP doesn’t recognise). I also use it on set as the 1:1 pixel option and excellent safe area options are perfect with the RED camera. It has the best selection of title/safe markers of any monitor I have used, and supports 24p, 25p, 60p etc. with aplomb.

Only the glossy screen stops me from buying one of these ones and using it as a main computer monitor – plus I know where I am with the 23″ cinema display I have used for years.

Without doubt this was the best purchase I made fitting out an HD system recently – it even has useable audio meters on it – although I don’t know how much of this functionality is included in the DVI-only model. At that price, even without HD-SDI it’s a steal. It looks as good as any HD screen with SD (barring one of JVC’s own 800-line CRT screens, which I rate highly for colour correction). You can always drop the screen down to 1:1 for SD if you need to see it properly, but if you’re not going to work in HD a lot, why buy a flatscreen anyway? There are more sensible CRT SD options.

You probably gathered that I like this monitor. You could probably argue about colour reproduction/response/etc. to other monitors (ie. Panasonic or Sony) but these arguements would be based on marginal differences (I tried them all) and ignore the simple fact that for 1080×1920 monitoring there is simply no competition near this price.

Ben

• walter biscardi

April 2, 2008 at 10:26 am

The only thing I can say about this monitor is that one of the resellers I purchase from was all set to bring a demo model to me for testing because I had just tested the Panasonic 1700W and TV Logic 24″ displays. (TV Logic is amazing by the way)

When he took it out of the box and looked at it with an HD signal, he decided not to bring it out because according to him, it was clearly worse than the 1700W display. So I have not seen them in person, but as he really does know his gear.

My advice is if you are considering this monitor, either look at one in person, or be sure you have at least a 7 day return policy in case you don’t like it.

And by the way, I don’t purchase from B&H Photo because of this very reason. I’ve never had a good experience when trying to return anything so I only purchase equipment from a local VAR. I pay a little more up front, but he takes care of anything if it does not perform as expected or there are other issues with the equipment.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Biscardi Creative Media
    HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
    Read my Blog!
    View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

• Paul Burgess

April 2, 2008 at 12:28 pm

Well here in the UK the JVC DT-V24L1D version has just gone up in price and with tax now costs almost $5000.

Walter – you are not talking about this version when commenting on poor picture quality are you?

Paul

• walter biscardi

April 2, 2008 at 12:33 pm

[Paul Burgess] “Walter – you are not talking about this version when commenting on poor picture quality are you?”

To be honest, that probably is the one as the VAR did say it was the version with SDI inputs. So that’s even worse if it’s that expensive.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Biscardi Creative Media
    HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!
    Read my Blog!
    View Walter Biscardi's profile on LinkedIn

Viewing 1 - 10 of 18 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy