Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy FCP 7 importing DV at wrong frame rate

• FCP 7 importing DV at wrong frame rate

• Rob Randall

April 6, 2016 at 7:24 pm

I’m using FCP 7 to import some old DV tapes into my 2011 MBP. The first 40 tapes imported fine, but the last 15 or so, some of the the frame rates are not 29.97. They are random ranging from 14 something to 29.6. The tapes themselves are fine and in sync. They import fine into FCP X, Quicktime 7 and Quicktime X. I really want to use FCP 7 because it’s the only way that I can to find to import the entire tape without it getting cut into clips (FCP X), or aborting at dropped frames (Quicktime). If I run a test of a minute or so, it captures properly at 29.97. When I capture the entire tape, it’s out. My hard drive has plenty of space. I even tried making a new user on my MBP to eliminate a User issue.

Any ideas,
    Thanks,

Rob

• Nick Meyers

April 7, 2016 at 1:58 am

I’ve had some clips with similarly weird frame rates.
    they’ve been things sourced from youtube or similar, and run thought compressor,
    and our fix was to simply run them through Cinema Tool and “conform” them back to their real frame rate.
    worked fine for us,
    but then, your situation is slightly different (capture from tape)

you should make a copy of one of your files and test it.

nick

• Rob Randall

April 7, 2016 at 2:06 pm

Thanks. How would I go about using Cinema Tools to change the frame rate?

• Nick Meyers

April 7, 2016 at 10:41 pm

for individual files open the file in CT,
    click the “conform” button lower right of window,
    chose a frame rate

for groups for files,
    open CT,
    under “File” menu ( i think) find Batch Conform.

the conform process is instantaneous.
    it nearly re-writes a line of code to give the file a new frame rate.

as i say do a test on a COPY of one file first

cheers,
    nick

• Michael Crochetiere

January 18, 2021 at 9:55 pm

I’m trying to re-import a .mov file in FCP7. The file doesn’t play in QT movie on my MBP 2009 or my MBP 2020. It does play with VLC player, but it’s stretched horizontally. I can import the file into FCP7, but it just shows up as white in the viewer and it does connect with the corresponding clip. Any ideas? Thanks!

• Dennis Couzin

January 23, 2021 at 2:15 am

Hi Michael. Why did you post your question in this strand? Is your .mov file in DV codec?

Which program created your .mov file? (Where did it come from?)
    Which operating systems are running your two MBPs?
    Which QuickTime player doesn’t play the file: QuickTime 7 which always accompanies FCP7 or QuickTime 10 supplied with the operating system? Does it show an error message?

VLC player misunderstands the pixel shape of the video, but that’s a trifle. VLC has performed some temporary repair to the .mov file to make it playable, and if you’re lucky you can crudely solve your problem with VLC itself. Go to File>Convert/Stream… Click Customize. In Encapsulation click AVI. In Video codec choose H.264 and in Bitrate choose a very high number like 100000000. (It won’t really do that.) For Frame Rate enter the true number (reported in the VLC player’s Tools — lo, interlace information is missing). For Resolution choose Scale 1 (although you could solve your shape problem here). QuickTime Player 7 should be able to open the .avi thing VLC player makes. Then File>Save As, and save it as a self-contained .mov file. FCP7 can then edit this new .mov file (with usual cautions about editing H.264 inf FCP7).

That dirty VLC method doesn’t always work. It’s best to figure out what’s wrong with the .mov file. Digital Rebellion’s QT Edit program digs into it and lets you fix some faults manually.

Googling “mov repair software” finds several on the market. One is Stellar Video Repair. I haven’t tried it but was satisfied with other Stellar software.

Dennis

• Michael Crochetiere

January 23, 2021 at 5:35 pm

Hi Dennis – Are you Dennis from SAIC? In any case, thanks for the advice. I ended up getting the 20 files fixed via a Danish company https://aeroquartet.com/treasured/index.en.html. It took a few trials, but we got the files repaired. <font face=”inherit”>They said that ..the files were missing the moov atom (the “brain” of the video) and all the frame tables. They needed to be fully reindexed. It cost me $100., but saved me a lot of time, given my level of technical </font>expertise.<font face=”inherit”> I had help from Larry Jordan, as well. We tried going through Handbrake, exporting mp4. I’ve made note of Stellar, in case I have similar issues in </font>there<font face=”inherit”> future.</font>

• Dennis Couzin

January 24, 2021 at 4:34 am

@Michael. VLC player could play the .mov file with a guessed frame rate, guessed gamma, guessed pixel aspect ratio, etc. It’s kicky that there’s free software that ekes SOMETHING from a corrupted file — many players just get SOMETHING from an uncorrupted file! Unfortunately the free VLC File>Convert solution, and likewise Handbrake, involves lossy recompression. If you can upload one of the bad .mov files I’ll check whether just filling in missing metadata in QT Edit can make it FCP7 compatible.

I’m him.

Dennis Couzin

• Michael Crochetiere

January 24, 2021 at 1:59 pm

Thanks for the info and offer, Dennis. I’m covered for the time being. How are you doing? It would be fun to stay in touch, if you like. I’m on Facebook/Messenger. Or e-mail. Michael

Viewing 1 - 9 of 9 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy