Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Adobe Premiere Pro › edit Canon 5D footage natively in PP CS6 on Macbook Pro?

  • edit Canon 5D footage natively in PP CS6 on Macbook Pro?

    Posted by Danielle Smit on January 12, 2013 at 6:02 pm

    Hi,
    I am trying to make the switch from FCP to Premiere. I am so exited to edit Canon 5D footage natively without long conversion times first.

    But, it is not working: playback will freeze after 1 or 2 seconds.

    Changing the project settings from CPU to software does not make a difference. Also changing between memory and performance does not make a difference, neither is deleting the prefs and / or cache files.

    I am working on a macbook Pro, early 2011, 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB, with OS 10.8.2.

    Now is this purely a performance issue? I dont consider these specs bottom line..

    If it is a performance issue, what codec should I use?

    Thank so much!

    Tom Daigon replied 13 years, 8 months ago 7 Members · 50 Replies
  • 50 Replies
  • Danielle Smit

    January 12, 2013 at 6:47 pm

    update:
    It seems that the clips that have no audio are fine, only the ones with audio won’t playback in the source monitor or on the timeline.
    Any advice would be appreciated!

  • Dennis Tzeng

    January 14, 2013 at 12:41 am

    Did you use the DSLR preset for the sequence? Is there a yellow or red bar above your footage in the timeline?

    Dennis

  • Danielle Smit

    January 14, 2013 at 2:27 pm

    I changed the sequence settings to the clip’s settings when I dropped one on the timeline.
    But that can’t be it, because it won’t play in the source monitor without freezing either.
    The render bar is yellow on the timeline.

    I have been working without a problem on the clips without audio, the editing mode says: ARRI cinema.

    The clips with audio ask for a different sequence setting, that editing mode is: AVC-Intra 100 1080i 50Hz
    The rest of the sequence settings are the same.

    I didnt shoot it myself, before I go back to this person telling him he did something wrong and I cant use half the clips, I need to be able to tell him what exactly went wrong.
    Did he change some setting in the camera? Or is it my computer.

    I dont need the audio, but I do need to use the video in those clips.

    Thank you

  • Tom Daigon

    January 14, 2013 at 3:11 pm

    What you did not mention is what kind of raid are you playing the clip back from. That can be a bottle neck with a slow HD or HD doing double duty (ie playing media off the same drive your OS and Apps are on – a big no no.

    Id be glad to test a clip on my system if you can make it downloadable.

    Tom Daigon
    PrP / After Effects Editor
    http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxPrG3WUyz8
    (Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
    HP Z820 Dual 2687
    64GB ram
    Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

  • Brian Cooney

    January 14, 2013 at 3:21 pm

    HI. I purchased an 8TB Pegasus R4 Thunderbolt RAID array from Promise Technologies. I’ve had it a week and am looking to return it to B & H today. My system has failed to boot several times. It locks up the computer and even sometimes when the computer boots the drive hangs. I sent in a service request to Promise and they requested a system report which I sent them via the promise utility. They came back saying there was a blown sector in drive one (the thing is one week old) and they would send out a drive replacement. I have the latest firmware and thunderbolt drivers installed. Promise never addressed my issue of whether they would have a download fix comign in the near future.

    Can anyone suggest a replacement array for the same price or less? Looking at Buffalo and LaCie. I htink I want to go USB 3.0 instead of thunderbolt. Using OSX Mountain Lion.

    thanks.

    MotionFoundry, Inc. Video Post
    Clients: GM, AOL, Kohl’s, 3 Doors Down, IKEA, Kelloggs, Toyota, Thomas Nelson, NASCAR Affiliates

  • Tom Daigon

    January 14, 2013 at 3:52 pm

    Brian for the best response, it might be a good idea to start a new thread for your problem. Since it doesnt relat to the OP issues, hijacking the thread maybe counter productive in getting you the info you are looking for. 😀

    Tom Daigon
    PrP / After Effects Editor
    http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxPrG3WUyz8
    (Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
    HP Z820 Dual 2687
    64GB ram
    Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

  • Brian Cooney

    January 14, 2013 at 4:05 pm

    ok. sorry tom. was in need of a solution today and know that you generally respond quickly. sorry didn’t mean to hijack the thread. thanks.

    MotionFoundry, Inc. Video Post
    Clients: GM, AOL, Kohl’s, 3 Doors Down, IKEA, Kelloggs, Toyota, Thomas Nelson, NASCAR Affiliates

  • Tom Daigon

    January 14, 2013 at 4:12 pm

    Hi Brian. I understand. I switched to a Z820 PC last July when I decided to leave Apple in the dust. So Im not familiar with Thunderbolt technology or the Pegasus product.

    I have had wonderful performance from this product from Dulce but it is PCIE .

    https://www.dulcesystems.com/html/pro_dqg2.html

    Their service and support is excellent.And the hardware is built like a rock. Maybe they have something that fits your needs.

    Tom Daigon
    PrP / After Effects Editor
    http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxPrG3WUyz8
    (Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
    HP Z820 Dual 2687
    64GB ram
    Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

  • Brian Cooney

    January 14, 2013 at 4:14 pm

    thanks Tom. appreciate the feedback.

    MotionFoundry, Inc. Video Post
    Clients: GM, AOL, Kohl’s, 3 Doors Down, IKEA, Kelloggs, Toyota, Thomas Nelson, NASCAR Affiliates

  • Tom Daigon

    January 14, 2013 at 4:14 pm

    Good luck Brian.

    Tom Daigon
    PrP / After Effects Editor
    http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxPrG3WUyz8
    (Best viewed at 1080P and full screen)
    HP Z820 Dual 2687
    64GB ram
    Dulce DQg2 16TB raid

Page 1 of 5

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy