Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Forums AJA Video Systems Building a FCP/Aja IO HD Workstation

• Building a FCP/Aja IO HD Workstation

John Crane updated 9 years ago 7 Members · 18 Posts
  • Adam Duguay

November 29, 2007 at 3:30 am

Hello all,

My company and I would like to upgrade our FCP Studio 2 system, from strictly working in DV NTSC, to working in SD and HD uncompressed. The Aja IO HD looks really good and we think it would be a great fit for our small shop.

I’m wondering if somone could give some advise on what we need to get up and running.

Here’s a rundown on what we have and what we’re thinking of perchasing.

Our current setup:
    Dual 2.0 G5/2 Gigs of ram
    Final Cut Pro Studio 2
    DVX-100 Camera

We were thinking of perchasing a 42′ Sharp LCD TV to use as a monitor. I noticed the IO HD has an HDMI output, would I be able to run the program out from FCP to this LCD T.V via HDMI? I was also wondering if anyone could recomend how to setup proper audio for an edit suite. We were thinking of perchasing a small audio board and buying some KRK RP5 speakers. Would we need a sound card for the audio or can it all run out of the IO Box? Storage is also an issue, we currently are using a Lacie 1TB external firwire 800 drive. Will this work with the IO or will be have to buy some SATA drives.

Hope someone can help,

Thanks,

A

• Jerry Hofmann

November 29, 2007 at 4:05 pm

The Io HD will source uncompressed HD, but it will transcode that to ProRes… IMHO for most projects this is quite acceptable.

The FW 800 drives would require another FW card to add a bus for them, IO won’t share a FW bus with FW drives… They should work OK for a stream of ProRes as long as they are fastish… ESata is a better solution. (It’s faster , and costs just a bit more is all) https://www.barefeats.com is a great place to look at speed tests of the drives…

Io’s analog outputs will give you what you need for audio monitoring… no need for a card if you’re happy with up to 4 channels of analog out (i.e. no surround sound without a card to support it.)

I’d look at a Pro monitor instead… but it will work with the LCD you mention, however there’s no way to set up that monitor for critical color correction… (i.e., no blue only available on it) I’d look at the JVC line of pro LCD’s for this… probably fine for a client monitor, and the iO would run that plus the editor’s critically setup pro monitor.

Jerry

• Winston A. Cely

November 29, 2007 at 8:53 pm

Jerry, I was wondering about what you said about not having the capability to use the monitor the OP wants to use for color critical applications. Could they not add the Matrox MXO? It has the functionality to give you Blue Only color bars and there for get broadcast quality color. This is mentioned in Shane’s review of the MXO here:

https://library.creativecow.net/articles/ross_shane/MXO.php

What do you think? I’m pretty sure I’m going to get one since I have the Apple Cinema HD (30″) display, but I’m curious to hear what your thoughts are.

Winston A. Cely
    Editor/Owner | Della St. Media, LLC

“If God could do the tricks we can do, He’d be a happy Man.” – Peter O’Toole – “The Stuntman”

Mac Pro 3GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
    4 GB RAM | Final Cut Studio 5.1.4 | Aja Kona LHe

• Jerry Hofmann

November 29, 2007 at 10:55 pm

You could do that alright, but you’re adding that MXO to the mix…. Then you couldn’t use the Io and the MXO at the same time either when monitoring.

Jerry

• Winston A. Cely

November 30, 2007 at 5:22 pm

I’m curious to know how this works then….

So say you have a Kona LHe, an MXO and an Apple Cinema Display (OK so take my future setup). Right now, without the MXO in the mix, I have a client monitor (not color critical) setup as my external monitor. This runs out via the analog setup from my Kona LHe. If and when I get the MXO, I’d have to change my setup every time I needed to capture to the Kona and then back to the MXO for basic monitoring. Correct? I wouldn’t be able to have my Kona still suppling the client monitor, while my Cinema display was color critical during editing?

Winston A. Cely
    Editor/Owner | Della St. Media, LLC

“If God could do the tricks we can do, He’d be a happy Man.” – Peter O’Toole – “The Stuntman”

Mac Pro 3GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon
    4 GB RAM | Final Cut Studio 5.1.4 | Aja Kona LHe

• Jerry Hofmann

November 30, 2007 at 5:30 pm

No, You cannot send the video to the MXO and the Kona at the same time… one or the other… You could use the MXO for both outs or the Kona for both outs.. but not one out on each at the same time.

Jerry

• Eric Stinemates

November 30, 2007 at 10:39 pm

Does the IOHD have any kind of calibration tool (ala the MXO) that would allow you to calibrate a Cinema Display or similar full HD monitor for color work or would you have to spring for one of those pricy Pro LCDs?

The MXO is a neat device, but it’s output only. I have a lot of legacy SD footage, much of it historical in nature and not available in any HD form that I’ll have to integrate with HD in the future. How is the quality of the IOHD’s upconversion capability vs. software uprezzing.

• Jerry Hofmann

December 1, 2007 at 5:01 pm

You can certainly output bars to a monitor for calibration, but to do so you need a blue only button on that monitor. So the answer is not exactly… the MXO has a utility that sends blue only bars to an LCD for calibration. The Io doesn’t.

Jerry

• gary adcock

December 1, 2007 at 5:28 pm

[Jerry Hofmann] “he MXO has a utility that sends blue only bars to an LCD for calibration. “

but without ability to adjust the color levels inside a computer LCD there is not a way to truly calibrate any Cinema Display properly (and apple mentions this in their Knowledgebase)

Not to mention that there is not a way to properly monitor an interlaced signal on a progressive TFT display.

gary adcock
    Studio37
    HD & Film Consultation
    Post and Production Workflows
    Inside look at the IoHD

• Jerry Hofmann

December 1, 2007 at 10:57 pm

Not quite right Gary. The MXO can be calibrated exactly to match what I’d see on a CRT with a blue only gun. However the blacks are typical LCD black… (not quite there)

Jerry

Viewing 1 - 10 of 18 posts

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy