THE WHITE LOTUS features incredible voyeuristic-style cinematography that constantly keeps you on edge. Director of photography Ben Kutchins explains his unique visual approach and the difficulty of filming in an actual hotel.
Ben and Go Creative Show host, Ben Consoli, discuss the juxtaposition between the warm color palette and plot, filming with as much natural light as possible, constantly rolling with the punches on set, and much more!
What you will learn:
- The crazy writing of THE WHITE LOTUS (01:39)
- Not having firm rules in cinematography (01:42)
- Achieving voyeuristic cinematography (08:03)
- Embarrassment through cinematography tricks (13:19)
- Warm color palette of THE WHITE LOTUS (17:43)
- Masterclass in covering dialogue scenes (22:06)
- Shooting with Super Baltar and Cooke lenses (32:27)
- Primarily using natural lighting (35:13)
- Logistics of filming in an actual hotel (41:17)
- Filming the water and boat scenes (48:32)
- Not worrying about realism with sunlight (52:07)
- Having to roll with the punches on set (57:06)
- Filming Paul McCartney’s latest music video (01:02:21)
- And more!
- Website – https://gocreativeshow.com/the-white-lotus-cinematography-with-ben-kutchins/
- iTunes – https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/go-creative-show/id539359582
- Subscribe – http://gocreativeshow.com/subscribe/
- Twitter – http://www.twitter.com/gocreativeshow
- Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/gocreativeshow/
- Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/gocreativeshow/
- YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/gocreativeshowpodcast/
- Audio Player- https://html5-player.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/20291234/height/90/theme/custom/thumbnail/yes/direction/backward/render-playlist/no/custom-color/c62b2b/
Enjoying the News? Sign up now for the Creative COW Newsletter!
Don’t miss out!
Sign up for the Creative COW newsletter and get weekly updates on industry news, forum highlights, inspirational tutorials, tips, burning questions, and more! Receive bulletins from the largest, longest-running community dedicated to supporting professionals working in film, video, and audio.
Enter your email address, a first and last name, and let us know what you’d like to see more of in the message!