Marvel’s MOON KNIGHT and A24’s THE GREEN KNIGHT are filled with original and compelling cinematography thanks to director of photography Andrew Droz Palermo. We do a deep dive into Andrew’s visual approach for both projects.
Andrew and Go Creative Show host, Ben Consoli, discuss why he avoided excessive close up angles, how filming handheld can motivate editing, what no one thinks about when filming in the desert, cinematography tricks to make someone look crazy, and so much more.
What you will learn:
- Learning from other cinematographers on a series (01:03)
- Avoiding excessive close ups (07:00)
- How shooting handheld can motivate editing (08:54)
- Why cinematographers should rehearse with actors (12:56)
- Setting yourself up for success filming 360° on set (18:11)
- What no one thinks about when filming in the desert (22:23)
- How to light scenes with only flashlights (27:32)
- Working with practical references for CGI elements (32:49)
- Why filming reflections is so challenging (35:15)
- Making someone look crazy with cinematography (39:58)
- Tricks to film duplicates of actors in camera (43:37)
- Cinematography of THE GREEN KNIGHT (46:27)
- Framing composition inspired by paintings (50:10)
- Why Arri DNA lenses were the clear choice (54:42)
- And more!
- YouTube video – https://youtu.be/zFNfuiny8X0
- Website – https://gocreativeshow.com/moon-knight-and-the-green-knight-cinematography-with-andrew-droz-palermo/
- iTunes – https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/go-creative-show/id539359582
- Subscribe – http://gocreativeshow.com/subscribe/
- Twitter – http://www.twitter.com/gocreativeshow
- Facebook – https://www.facebook.com/gocreativeshow/
- Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/gocreativeshow/
- YouTube – https://www.youtube.com/gocreativeshowpodcast/
- Audio Player – play.libsyn.com/embed/episode/id/23534747/height/192/theme/modern/size/large/thumbnail/yes/custom-color/c62b2b/time-start/00:00:00/playlist-height/200/direction/backward”
Enjoying the news? Sign up now for the Creative COW Newsletter!
Sign up for the Creative COW newsletter and get weekly updates on industry news, forum highlights, inspirational tutorials, tips, burning questions, and more! Receive bulletins from the largest, longest-running community dedicated to supporting professionals working in film, video, and audio.
Enter your email address, a first and last name, and let us know what you’d like to see more of in the message!