[Franco Bogino] “Can anyone shed some light on the benefits of using Virtual Clusters with Compressor & Qmaster? I set up a virtual cluster on a Mac Pro ‘Nehalem’ Quad core, instructing Compressor to use 4 instances. I tested it out on a 3min HVD clip, transcoding to ProRes. The cluster setup took 3 min 45 sec, while the normal render took 1 min 57 sec. “
Virtual clusters are supposed to speed up your encodes, but it sounds like you are pushing your system too hard. If you set it to use four instances on a quad-core machine, you risk overscheduling your processors. Try turning it down to 2 or 3 instances and see if that helps. For example, I use 6 instances on my 8-core machine.
RAM starvation is another possibility; how much RAM do you have?
[Franco Bogino] “Is it something to do with ‘stitching time’, and does this mean that clusters only save time when dealing with footage over a certain length?”
Stitching does add time to the encode, but hopefully that will be offset by the decrease in processing time.
Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog – What I’m thinking when my workstation’s thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events