Forum Replies Created

Page 301 of 422
  • Ty Ford

    June 12, 2009 at 10:55 am in reply to: Sennheisser Wireless noise and wind

    Welcome to the Cow Audio Forum, Kaye.

    Dave and Brian are correct. Your use of the cardioid mic may even make wind noise worse because cardioid mics are more sensitive to lower frequencies (like wind).

    Satin is a nasty material and so is nylon.

    Getting a mic on right without noise is a craft. I frequently put a loop in the cord and find a place inside the garment to tape it with a square of g-tape. This acts a a mechanical damper to reduce clothing noise and body rub from being mechanically conducted up the mic cord to the mic.

    BTW, there are some great plastic mic clips that I prefer to some of the metal ones.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Watch Ty play guitar

  • Ty Ford

    June 11, 2009 at 1:52 am in reply to: Boom Poles

    Hello Peter and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

    I have a 16ft carbon fiber K-tek pole rigged for external cable.

    I went w/a 16 footer because I knew if I got a 12 footer, I’d need 16 feet the next day. I’ve only deployed it full about 4 times in 12 years, but the extra length does come in VERY handy as a counterweight. It’s a LOT easier to hold a boom with a bit extending behind you to balance the weight. The particular model I have can be extended or collapsed fairly quietly. I’ve needed that when I get backed into a wall or corner and need several lengths to cover the action. YMMV.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Watch Ty play guitar

  • Ty Ford

    June 10, 2009 at 12:13 pm in reply to: Home VO Studio!

    [Bill Davis] “Audio Technica 414s”

    AKG 414?

    Regards,

    Ty Ford

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Watch Ty play guitar

  • Ty Ford

    June 10, 2009 at 12:11 pm in reply to: Home VO Studio!

    Jenny,

    I was on the air in major market radio for 17 years and was also the production director at the stations for which I worked. I teach VO for the Washington/Baltimore AFTRA/SAG Conservatory. My thoughts on your clips.

    Your sportscaster clip has good energy but you fall into an inflectional pattern that doesn’t have anything to do with what you’re saying, so it rings false. Work on letting the meaning of the words form your intonation.

    The Verizon clip sounds like sentences recorded separately and strung together. There’s a disconnect between each one. Try that copy in one take and “bring it all together.” Integrate.

    Interesting voice quality; slight huskiness, nice texture.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Watch Ty play guitar

  • Ty Ford

    June 9, 2009 at 2:00 am in reply to: Home VO Studio!

    Chaz, buddy,

    The 635 is an omni with almost no proximity effect. Not a good choice for VO. The Centrance Mic Port Pro is a good thought. I also like the idea of getting the same mic the station uses. Preamps, however, can make a mic sound very different. If the preamp at the station is pretty neutral, you should be OK.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Watch Ty play guitar

  • Ty Ford

    June 8, 2009 at 9:23 pm in reply to: Genelec 6010A and optical Airport Express

    Duncan,

    Hmm, well if that’s what it says that’s not digital it’s unbalanced audio at (presumably) line level of -10.

    Like what comes out the back of most consumer CD players.

    So that means you don’t need a TOSLINK SPDIF anything.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Watch Ty play guitar

  • Ty Ford

    June 8, 2009 at 3:50 pm in reply to: Genelec 6010A and optical Airport Express

    Hello Duncan and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.

    By “RCA” do you mean S/PDIF coaxial digital audio?

    If so, there are coxial to optical converters.

    here’s one: https://tinyurl.com/m5woub

    Regards,

    Ty Ford

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Watch Ty play guitar

    Some contents or functionalities here are not available due to your cookie preferences!

    This happens because the functionality/content marked as “Google Youtube” uses cookies that you choosed to keep disabled. In order to view this content or use this functionality, please enable cookies: click here to open your cookie preferences.

  • Ty Ford

    June 8, 2009 at 10:21 am in reply to: Countryman B6 vs TRAM TR50 vs Sanken COS-11X

    Hello Hannah,

    Yes, if the COS 11 you have has an XLR connector, the mic requires 48v phantom power.

    Battery powered phantom power supplies can be used if your camera does not provide phantom power. A good mixer which provides that and more is an even better idea.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Watch Ty play guitar

  • Ty Ford

    June 8, 2009 at 1:14 am in reply to: Audio for a Documentary – Wireless mic advice

    Hi Craig,

    I like the Countryman EMW just fine. I have 5 of them. I hadn’t used on in a while til last monday and when I plugged it in and listened, I thought, “Hmm, sounds GOOD!

    Regards,

    Ty Ford

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Watch Ty play guitar

  • Ty Ford

    June 8, 2009 at 1:03 am in reply to: Audio for a Documentary – Wireless mic advice

    You’re welcome, Charles.

    The G2 is as low as I go for pro work.

    Regards,

    Ty Ford

    Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
    Watch Ty play guitar

Page 301 of 422

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy