Hello Stephen and welcome to the Cow Audio Forum.
Brian has given you some good information.
But, as I have heard before…..
“You can use the Magic Lantern Hack to disable AGC on the 7D. It’s not destructive, boots off your memory card when you boot the camera. It has a few other nice tricks up it’s sleeve also.
The input is mic level, but you can buy a beachtek adapter to give you two XLR and a line input for it. They aren’t powered so no condensers and are going to starve any decent dynamic mic so I’d only use it to bring line in from a mixer or something. Unless you are needing serious fidelity, you’ll probably get roughly equal results running a mixer into the mic input at a very, very low level.”
NOTE: I HAVE NOT TRIED THE ABOVE AND MAKE NO GUARANTEES ABOUT IT OR WHAT IT MIGHT DO THAT YOU DON’T WANT.
Regards,
Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader
Want better production audio?: Ty Ford’s Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford’s Blog