Forum Replies Created

Page 124 of 402
  • Todd Terry

    April 22, 2014 at 2:31 pm in reply to: keep foam from flaking – but BORING

    I’ve been trying for YEARS to figure out how to cut my own custom foam, but have yet to have total success with that (at least results that are both functional and look pretty).

    When buying some upholstery foam a few years ago I remember seeing the guy at the store cut it with a jigsaw…clean as a whistle. I don’t know what kind of blade he had (it was also very long), but haven’t been able to replicate the cleanness of his cut.

    The last time I was at good ‘ol Harbor Freight Tools buying some widget for a shoot I noticed they sell a hot knife… I might give that a try the next time I’m in need.

    T2

    __________________________________
    Todd Terry
    Creative Director
    Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
    fantasticplastic.com

  • Todd Terry

    April 21, 2014 at 10:53 pm in reply to: Issues with Lectrosonic wireless mic

    Hmmmm…. and you can monitor the Lectrosonic receivers directly (headphones straight in to the receivers) and they sound fine?

    If so, that’s a puzzler…

    T2

    __________________________________
    Todd Terry
    Creative Director
    Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
    fantasticplastic.com

  • Todd Terry

    April 21, 2014 at 10:36 pm in reply to: Extracting 23.976p from AVCHD MFX 60i PF24

    It’s probably too late, but here’s my guess.

    I’m not really familiar with the S200 but I’ve seen some other Canon cameras behave similarly. With those, when you shoot 24p you are indeed shooting 24fps, but it is embedded in a 60i wrapper. You are not doing anything wrong shooting… or anything wrong capturing… it is both shooting and capturing exactly as it was designed to, in 60i.

    I had a similar situation before… prior to switching to the C300 about a year and a half ago we shot with the XLH1. In HD mode, 24p (or Canon’s 24f) did indeed capture at 24fps. But in standard-def mode, 24p was embedded in a 60i wrapper… no way around that. It still was true 24fps and had the proper 3:2 pulldown, but the actual footage was 60i.

    I can’t attest to the methods that you try, but if you have access to Premiere it will do it quickly… just put your 60i footage on a 24p timeline and output a new clip(s). It shouldn’t be too render heavy or take too long if you have a reasonably powerful machine.

    Otherwise, then yes Compressor is probably the best bet… heavy render times and all. I would test that first on a few-seconds long clip (a clip with good action) so you can toggle through the individual frames to make sure it’s doing it exactly right and at an acceptable quality.

    T2

    __________________________________
    Todd Terry
    Creative Director
    Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
    fantasticplastic.com

  • Todd Terry

    April 21, 2014 at 9:56 pm in reply to: Issues with Lectrosonic wireless mic

    Just one idea that comes to mind…

    Are you sure that the camera’s 48v phantom mic power is OFF for each channel? The Lectrosonic receivers won’t need that, obviously, and if the phantom power is on it might be making the receivers go haywire somehow.

    T2

    __________________________________
    Todd Terry
    Creative Director
    Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
    fantasticplastic.com

  • Todd Terry

    April 21, 2014 at 4:20 am in reply to: Will 2014 repeat?

    … always the optimistic ray of sunshine.

    T2

    __________________________________
    Todd Terry
    Creative Director
    Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
    fantasticplastic.com

  • Todd Terry

    April 18, 2014 at 4:07 pm in reply to: Cheap and easy lighting stand bags

    Very cool, Mark.

    Not sure they would hold actual light stands (at least not ones of any size), but they would be perfect for shorty C-stand risers.

    I too used a fishing pole thing as a mic boom holder for years… although I did eventually bite the bullet and buy a “real” one. I think that’s one of those things where a real one is definitely worth the money if you use it much. But the fishing pole holder works fine for occasional use.

    T2

    __________________________________
    Todd Terry
    Creative Director
    Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
    fantasticplastic.com

  • Todd Terry

    April 18, 2014 at 3:38 pm in reply to: WORK FOR HIRE contract…Really?

    I gotta agree… I think that letter has a lot of vitriol and not-so-passive passive aggression in it, which might not be well received.

    When I first read it my first thoughts were to immediately respond with a “Noooo don’t send that… do this…” but then I realized you had likely already sent it, so the cow was already out of the barn. You can’t un-ring that bell now. And other assorted metaphors.

    In hindsight, I would have either politely sent them a contract with the parts you don’t like clearly redacted, or a completely new fresh contract to your liking… and see their response. I think you’d have better luck with that if you want to keep writing for them.

    But Mark’s right… writing that might have been cathartic. If this is a client you don’t really care about losing, heck the “feel good” vibes from sending it might be well worth it.

    T2

    __________________________________
    Todd Terry
    Creative Director
    Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
    fantasticplastic.com

  • Todd Terry

    April 18, 2014 at 4:26 am in reply to: Will 2014 repeat?

    Glad to hear 14 is starting out great for you, Rich.

    Here, it’s really hard to say… wish the Magic 8 Ball worked better. We’ve actually had an extremely busy first quarter, I’d have to look up the stats but it’s likely the busiest quarter we’ve ever had (our 17th anniversary last week). Will it continue throughout the year? Ehhh… I doubt it, I just hope the inevitable dip isn’t too deep.. or long.

    We actually had a really good 2013. If 14 could match it, I’d be happy… but the goal is to beat it, of course.

    I think one plus here is that we don’t have any big capital expenditures anticipated or needed. Last year we gutted (and replaced, obviously) two edit suites and lots of camera expenses that we won’t have this year (knock on wood), so tha puts us in a little bit better position going in compared to last year.

    If things would just even out I’d be more than thrilled. Seems like that’s a problem in production houses everywhere. About a month ago we actually just sent our senior editor home for two days… there was simply nothing for him to do. Lot of stuff in pre-prod and on deck, but nothing ready for him to cut. Since then though he’s been jamming, and I’ve been cutting myself every minute that I’m not directing. Seems it’s always feast or famine. Our goal is always to save some of the feast for the famine times, but that seems so hard to do.

    Ya never know what will happen.

    T2

    __________________________________
    Todd Terry
    Creative Director
    Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
    fantasticplastic.com

  • Todd Terry

    April 15, 2014 at 2:54 pm in reply to: A little levity — and the importance of details

    Looks to me like the picture should PROBABLY say “This is Deon Gordon… and this is his accountant.”

    T2

    __________________________________
    Todd Terry
    Creative Director
    Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
    fantasticplastic.com

  • Todd Terry

    April 13, 2014 at 6:31 pm in reply to: What happened to this forum?

    Might have to give that forum a look sometime.

    Probably like a lot of people, it would never have even OCCURED to me to even darken the doors of that forum. In fact, I would purposely stay away.

    In all my years of doing this, not only have I never used a Mac, never cut on FCP… but I’m thinking very hard and don’t think I have ever once even used an Apple product, ever… so it just wouldn’t be a place I’d naturally gravitate to.

    And the hullabaloo over FCPX and all the vitriol that it generated toward Apple held no interest for me… other than getting to watch with amusement and feel vindicated for having edited with Premiere my whole career.

    It’s not at all that I’m anti-Apple, it’s just that for so many years the MacHeads were so militant about it that they were frankly not a lot of fun to hang out with (and I see that very firsthand in my own house, as my better half Kim is a graphic artist and thus a hardcore Mac gal). Much like the RED fanboys in its early days were impossible to even hold a conversation with unless you also worshiped at the RED altar.

    I think the Mac folks have toned it down a bit now though… so might give it a shot.

    T2

    __________________________________
    Todd Terry
    Creative Director
    Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
    fantasticplastic.com

Page 124 of 402

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy