Todd Terry
Forum Replies Created
-
That, and Nick has been lounging around with undeserved, unwarranted, and just plain blatantly-uncalled-for extended vacations.
🙂
T2
__________________________________
Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
fantasticplastic.com

-
Agreed… but it’s not just this week.
Been deadsville in here for months.
T2
__________________________________
Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
fantasticplastic.com

-
Dunno, Bob… I posted the same question here a little while back, with no real answers.
Fortunately we ourselves have 1) been busy as one-armed paperhangers lately, and 2) haven’t had any real problems that needed the forum’s expertise. That will change, no doubt, as cycles do… but right now we’re in a good place. Although very very tired.
I’m hoping that business is great for all my friends here, and that’s the reason for the lack of activity.
But yes, it is as eerily quiet as a church in here. And there used to be fireworks galore… not even a “crackpot comment” or two to get people stirred up. We used to be able to count on those (although not naming names).
T2
__________________________________
Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
fantasticplastic.com

-
Haven’t used either… but I looked up the specs and the BIG consideration for me would be power.
Since we’ve started adopting LED lighting a year or two ago… I have to say I still don’t love the look of them quite as much as tungsten and flos, but I DO love the portability… as I wouldn’t even consider an LED instrument that wasn’t battery powered (or that could be).
I rarely run stingers anymore… in fact with the exception of HMIs I virtually never do… we use bricks to power everything and it’s amazing how freeing it is.
That being said… of your two choices the Area 48 can be battery powered, with an available goldmount. The Cineo apparently cannot (or if it can, it’s not listed in the features/specs that I saw). Between those two that would make it an easy decision for me.
T2
__________________________________
Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
fantasticplastic.com

-
I really couldn’t say, myself.
I refuse to even attend weddings, much less shoot them… so I’m unsure of your requirements.
More importantly though I don’t use a remote pan/tilt head at all. I use a shorter jib that I control from the camera end, where I use an Oconnor 50D head (they are older and tanks, but are my favorite heads).
Maybe others here will have better advice.
T2
__________________________________
Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
fantasticplastic.com

-
If you just have a fixed camera mount and are not using a remote pan/tilt gimble, then you don’t need a second operator. In fact there’d be nothing for them to do… (unless you wanted them to stop/start the camera via the GoPro app).
T2
__________________________________
Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
fantasticplastic.com

-
I won’t make a specific recommendation, but just note that the Phantom is a very lightweight quad copter, good for something more like a GoPro.
To fly something as heavy as your 5D you’ll need a copter that’s more in 10x the price range of the Phantom. I’ve only known a couple of people brave enough to fly a 5D… and those were with the really big (and expensive) octocopters… those in the $5,000-$20,000 range.
I’d think a safer route would be to get something like a BlackMagic Pocket Camera and dedicated it for aerial use. It’s much lighter (and cheaper) than a 5D, so could fly on a much smaller (and cheaper) bird than the 5D would require. It’d still need a lot more than the Phantom, though.
T2
__________________________________
Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
fantasticplastic.com

-
You can’t really pan/tilt with that jib.
Well, you can sorta tilt, but I’d say that feature is mostly usable for re-positioning your tilt angle… I don’t think it’s smooth enough to use as an actual tilt during an active shot.
There is no way to pan.
To do those things you’d have to add a remote pan/tilt head to the business end.
Keep in mind that is a dirt-cheap jib, an almost throw-away price… and you tend to get what you pay for. It might work fine for some rudimentary crane shots (with a lighter-weight camera), but it’s not going to do anything too fancy.
T2
__________________________________
Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
fantasticplastic.com

-
[Soumendra Jena] “Im looking for a package deal. 12ft jib + monitor + cables.”
You’re unlikely to find that exactly. People usually buy these components separately and put together packages exactly to their liking… the jib from whomever their preference is, monitor of their favorite flavor (which usually pulls double duty off the jib), and obviously cables are a no-brainer.
I’m not aware of any companies that sell an “all-in-one” and “already put together” jib and monitor package. If you do find one, its likely to be lowest of the low-end gear.
This is not hard. Buy the jib you like. Buy the monitor you like. Connect. Enjoy.
T2
__________________________________
Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
fantasticplastic.com

-
They do that with either Steadicam, or circular dolly track around the subject.
T2
__________________________________
Todd Terry
Creative Director
Fantastic Plastic Entertainment, Inc.
fantasticplastic.com
