Forum Replies Created
-
I use the MxM adapters…I haven’t seen any issues I can attribute to the adapters. I think I did jump the red light at one point and corrupted some data.
The classes these things are labeled with seem to have little to do with anything the way these companies use the ratings.
The idea is to look at what media is being recommended as the adapter manufacturers do some pretty extensive testing.
TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions, -
A computer display card only outputs RGB to an RGB display. It’s very difficult to gauge color correction when you’re viewing it in the wrong color system.
I’m aware of the functions of the Canopus ADVC boves as I have several different models myself. They were awesome when i was producing in DV. The Matrox unit that Buck has is designed to output an HD signal to an HD display (HDMI or analog component).
Using a DV converter box to view an HD timeline is a nice fix in a pinch that I do occasionally if I’m traveling or at a remote facility somewhere that only has that available. However, to really see focus, seeing less than a quarter of the resolution simply isn’t sufficient.
TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions, -
It sounds like Buck works in HD…like most of us these days.
I have several Canopus ADVC products and they are very good units…but I think DV’s remaining life in professional production is about over.
The Matrox unit is HD.
Also, AJA has a soon-to-be-released unit called the IO Express, which works in a similar way.
TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions, -
I don’t think that answer is that simple…
You’d need to try it in the context of your workflow…and see how the Matrox codecs work out for you.
Each device has a sweet spot…
TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions, -
It’s possible the AE project has an issue I suppose…
Can you make a new project? Maybe try importing the original project into it and rendering the comp that way.
I can’t believe that if the AE renders are causing a problem that dynamic linking the AE comp to the PPro timeline would be better, but it’s worth a shot in the name of science I suppose…
If that doesn’t work, you may want to try something from scratch in a fresh project…
You can make a new project and drop a render from that in place and it’s OK, right?
TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions, -
In theory, the whole suite should work…the Matrox box can’t handle every format for the price they charge for it…they have to optimize it around something.
You should have the same output ability (i.e. Media Encoder, Clip Notes) that you have otherwise.
I thought that Matrox had a read-only version of their codec that other software could use to access Matrox wrapped source files.
What I do have to say is that I’ve had a fair amount of cases in the past handful of years where the standard definition Matrox gear had difficulty with their own files when rendered out of After Effects. Sometimes it was user error in setting up the proper workflow, but other times it was likely a software conflict that we couldn’t track down…
Test out the workflow by rendering some After Effects comps as the Matrox proprietary codec to make sure that you can seamlessly drop that rendered file onto the PPro timeline with the Matrox sequence settings. (…and you can likely enjoy the full screen preview from AE through the Matrox box as well if they are supporting full screen preview for AE and Photoshop).
Unfortunately we’d all like to have a system where we could run non-proprietary uncompressed video and have it come out of any tap available, but with the practical limitations on drive speed, capacity, processor power, and budget to purchase same, we trade some proprietary operating environments for speed and runnability.
TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions, -
Yep…I can just squeeze a 720p24 :30 spot onto a Data DVD…4+ Gigs.
TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions, -
Tim Kolb
October 7, 2009 at 5:57 pm in reply to: Problem with, Sound delay, Machina and Cineform XENA LHiOK…there are several issues here:
1. CineForm isn’t certified for CS4…so that is at least a portion of your issue.
2. CineForm uses AJA’s OEM drivers, NOT the retail drivers, and the version that is current for CineForm with Adobe CS3 is 7.0.046 (it should be available in a folder from the Prospect install)
3. if you HAVE installed the OEM drivers with the retail drivers…and I speak from experience…you are in bad shape. They HATE each other. Clean them all out and reinstall the AJA Retail drivers of your choice.
4. I have no technical reason why this is, but I see far more issues with ATI display cards and Adobe products than I do NVIDIA pro cards and Adobe products…it’s purely anecdotal, but this is how it seems to me.
First off…I’d pursue those items. Then see how things go.
TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions, -
Keep in mind, you’ll need a second computer for the Ultrascope…I like that product.
I have not used Black Magic products…I have used AJA products.
AJA has been responsive on tech support issues, they seem to be aware of what aspects of the product need to be solid, like signal quality and downconversion, and the workmanship of the hardware also “feels” very solid.
I’d suspect you’d get a more meaningful list of Black Magic’s benefits on the Black magic forum.
TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions, -
I think I’m laughing…no, I’m crying…actually I’m laughing…
Maybe I’m just wishing it was more of an exaggeration…
TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,