Forum Replies Created

Page 147 of 350
  • Tim Kolb

    January 21, 2010 at 5:51 pm in reply to: Thinking about what Bob Zelin said…

    [Bob Cole] ”
    The American automobile industry obviously DID NOT READ THAT BOOK.”

    Microsoft did…it’s one of that company’s guiding principles.

    Cannibalize your own markets…because someone is going to…

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    January 19, 2010 at 5:42 pm in reply to: Bye bye 700 MHz

    [Richard Crowley] “The fate of the 700 MHz band has been known for a decade.”

    I guess that would be right as the “DTV transition” has been only slightly faster than continental drift.

    I guess I was curious to see what manufacturers were doing to offer their customers an avenue to comply…

    I’ve been surprised by how many VHF units I still see in service. I suppose the longer range still has it’s applications.

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    January 18, 2010 at 2:54 pm in reply to: Bye bye 700 MHz

    It sounds as is at least some variety of Lectrosonics units that are frequency agile have some frequencies outside the range in question.

    I question the corporate liability of them assuring their users that it will be OK due to that fact that many users will be “going pirate” for a period of time (no matter that it is probably quite true).

    I buy things on eBay from time to time and have noticed the increase in wireless mic sets/components with frequencies in this range, or with no frequencies specified.

    “Buyer beware” indeed.

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    January 18, 2010 at 2:10 pm in reply to: return to Prem, Mac or PC??

    I think Vince’s first post captured most of the key differences with a very even-hand.

    As the link in Brian’s post indicates, 32 bit applications benefit from a 64 bit OS.

    I recently explained some of this here:

    https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/27/858465

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    January 16, 2010 at 8:46 pm in reply to: Risk Sharing with an Ad Agency?

    Yes, this is bad mojo.

    There is no such thing as “risk sharing” when you have no client contact or connection to the actual customer.

    You’re creating pre-vis materials for the ad agency to use to sell their services to their client… If you wanted to produce the material and give it to all the ad agencies in your market to use, I suppose you could do that, but the chances of spec work done for an ad agency converting to a payoff is always slim, even on the biggest jobs.

    Proceed with caution and under NO circumstances do you commit these materials to this agency exclusively. Give them a three or six month exclusive and see what they do with it…and reserve the right to take the templates elsewhere. Keep ownership of the production work product.

    It’s not that ad agencies are evil BTW, I work with several that are just fine. Ad agencies have to reel in the work for their own good and if the client happens to hate what you’ve done, they have to agree with the client and ask how they’d like it done…or they don’t get the job.

    If you want to help an ad agency, offer to be in the client meeting to handle any technical questions, etc. Once the client has seen you face to face, it’s easier for you to see what the client really wants and understand if you can do what they want or not-on the spot. I only have one agency that’s ever asked me into one of these meetings, and I think I’ve been an asset for them (or I’ve certainly tried anyway).

    Be careful how much spec work you do when it has to pass from your hands to be presented by someone else…you’re one layer removed and it’s very hard to know what is really going on in those situations.

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    January 16, 2010 at 8:31 pm in reply to: Extremely choppy/stuttering playback w/high end system?

    [Daniel DeSouza] “I believe I used something like AVS Video Converter to convert them from AVCHD 1920×1080. They are now .avi files, 1920×1080, 29 frames/sec. Short clips – probably about 150mb average (down from over a gb each in native AVCHD).”

    So the clips are shorter, or they’re simply more compressed?

    Keep in mind that AVCHD is EXTREMELY compressed…if they are compressed that much more, I’d guess it’s like cel phone video…

    Regardless, it sounds like the converter is producing files that are a problem since AVCHD runs that well…I’d stick with the native files if that’s the case.

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    January 12, 2010 at 11:50 pm in reply to: Xena LHe horrible performance under drivers V.4.2

    I don’t why your follow ups wouldn’t get answered, but I happen to know that they are investigating this issue.

    That’s all I know, but I know they aren’t ignoring it.

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    January 11, 2010 at 9:52 pm in reply to: Flip ultra HD file issues

    You might want to try MPEG streamclip…we’ve had some luck with that on DSLR footage.

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    January 11, 2010 at 8:34 pm in reply to: The “joys” of business travel?

    [Steve Kownacki] “PS- I’m a user of $80 rolling, hard plastic golf club cases. Line it with foam and you can put stix, 2 stands, 2 small lamps and other junk in there for easy transport – keep it to 80 pounds though or the airline will rape you”

    Agreed…those hardside golf club cases are great.

    Keep in mind as we’re having this discussion…I’m not sure all the carry-on hassle is TSA-borne. I think since the checked luggage fees kicked in, some travelers are almost unbelievably inconsiderate as to what they carry on. I’ve seen one person fill a whole overhead segment by themselves. (I at least check my clothes even though I know they’ll get delayed at least 30% of the time…)

    I think the airlines are getting sick of having to pull of the luggage of the last 10 people to board because these business travelers have a compartment swallowing roller bag and a horseblanket coat taking up the typical overhead space that should serve 3 people.

    Half of all these problems could be solved if anyone would stop and think of someone beside themselves when they travel.

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    January 10, 2010 at 10:03 pm in reply to: The “joys” of business travel?

    The last multi-city shooting trip (3 flights, San Diego>Nashville>Home) ended up running about 1100.00 in checked bag fees for our clothes bags (2) and a golf club hardcase (tripod, light stands, etc), and a beefy pelican with de-lamped lights, mics, baby legs…

    We each had carry (not roller) laptop bags and we each had a small Kata bag (191 I believe) with the camcorder and small gear, harddrives, etc. (an EX1…it even fits in the overhead on a puddle jumper…one of the prime benefits of that small camera).

    Renting (non-key) gear with an assistant at each site can sometimes be the easiest route.

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

Page 147 of 350

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy