Forum Replies Created

Page 139 of 350
  • Tim Kolb

    April 19, 2010 at 3:14 am in reply to: Adobe CS5 and NVidia Quadro CX

    William Urschel “So now, despite Adobe’s promotion of CX last year, its gone from support with CS5.”

    The QFX CX is supported.

    Check this page: https://www.adobe.com/products/premiere/systemreqs/

    It’s listed, so problem solved.

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    April 18, 2010 at 5:30 am in reply to: Nvidia Card Peformance differences with Mecury

    “I knew that the current Mac 30″ display requires a dual link DVI to drive a 2560×1600 display so you do need 2 video cards to run an additional monitor if one of them is a Mac 30″. I was not aware that there are 30″ 2560×1600 monitors that were DVI that did not require dual link.”

    I think you need to re-read my post.

    All 30″ monitors need dual-link to run at full resolution (the Dell will accept nothing else but dual-link, and the Apple will accept single link, but will simply scale the resolution, though it does it quite nicely in my experience).

    Once again, “dual-link” does NOT refer to two ports. It is a kind of port. Feeding a monitor “dual-link DVI” is done from one DVI port that is a dual link type…all the digital pins are active instead of those four vacant spaces on single link DVI. The QFX 4800 has two (2) dual-link DVI ports and therefore can feed two (2) 30″ monitors.

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    April 17, 2010 at 12:44 am in reply to: EX-3 1080 24P is recording with 3:2 pulldown?

    psf or progressive segmented frame is how the frame is sent, not how it’s imaged.

    on the EX camcorders, progressive is progressive. psf helps some monitors and vtrs deal with the footage through SDI

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    April 17, 2010 at 12:10 am in reply to: EX-3 1080 24P is recording with 3:2 pulldown?

    what NLE software doesn’t handle 23.976 psf these days?

    I only use HQ mode…so I assume that SD mode is 25 Mbits? If so, it’s basically HDV, and I would guess that’s why it would switch.

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    April 17, 2010 at 12:01 am in reply to: Corrupt XDCAM EX1 Clips — Will Not Import

    I’ve only had a ‘restore’ warning twice since I’ve owned the camera, but I’ve done exactly what Craig is saying…then restore it…then I take it out and transfer it. I don’t shoot with it until I’ve verified there isn’t a media problem.

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    April 16, 2010 at 11:38 pm in reply to: Nvidia Card Peformance differences with Mecury

    DVI dual-link refers to a type of DVI connection. it does not mean you have 2 DVI ports linking 1 monitor.

    The Mac QFX4800 has 2 dual-link DVI ports…so you can drive 2 30 inch displays. For a 1920×1200 display, it simply sends single link out of the port. BTW, I run a Mac 4800 in my PC…if the PC model doesn’t run in the Mac, it’s likely an apple thing.

    The QFX 4800 (for PC) has 2 display ports and 1 dual-link DVI port…use any 2.

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    April 15, 2010 at 9:33 am in reply to: Nvidia Card Peformance differences with Mecury

    Bruce N. Goren: “My conspiracy theory is that this is all about preserving price point for the software. There is resistance to paying up for software when the hardware to run it on is cheap, so Adobe creates gravitas for the price point by padding your hardware build tab.”

    Yes, well…keeping in mind that AE cost more than the whole Prod Premium suite not all that many years back…I’d say that whatever Adobe has done, preserving the pricepoint of any software they make isn’t on that list.

    Gamer cards are a fast moving target…they revise models much faster than the pro cards…I suspect the un-intriguing answer has something to do with not having the personnel to troubleshoot every card made through the life cycle of the product…

    Everything from computers to software to cameras have come down in price so much that I fail to see how anyone can say that any manufacturer has done much to protect pricepoints…even a Quadro 4800 display card is less expensive than the 3 yr old 4500 I replaced…by almost half!

    Politics will always be a part of business to be sure, but often the reason for arrangements like this are incredibly mundane and boring.

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    April 15, 2010 at 3:26 am in reply to: Nvidia Card Peformance differences with Mecury

    PPro CS5 Mercury Playback Engine represents a recoding of that part of the software and is active whether you’re using a CUDA capable display card or not…but the performance will be improved if you have one of the designated cards, the effects are sent to the GPUs…decode is still the job of the CPU.

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    April 12, 2010 at 2:40 pm in reply to: LHi Firmware Update failed?Help!

    Hmmm… well, first I meant that I wasn’t familiar with the machine you had so I wondered about the card being damaged from a power inadequacy, or something of that nature… AJA is not known for shipping defective product. (I’m not saying that it’s not ever happened, but it certainly isn’t the reputation they’ve earned in the industry).

    Second…again, I’m no IT guy, but I know that I’ve seen some pretty tweaked gaming machines that aren’t up to HD video editing snuff at the level the AJA cards are made for…again…I’m not being rude here, but running a flight sim…even a huge one with great graphics, takes CPU, and moreso GPU, says little about bus speeds or card conflicts. When i run uncompressed HD, I need 1.5 Gbits/s unhindered throughput, and nevermind the drive array I have to run to get the data moving like that, the computer itself can create some small conflict somewhere that wouldn’t bother any other function a ‘normal’ user would encounter, but it can be enough to cause a problem for us…

    Buggy software…this is a CS4 issue across the board for almost every third party vendor to Adobe products from AE plugins to hardware IO. CS4 had several fundamental structure changes that were not finalized until such time that nearly every vendor I’m familiar with ended scrambling to catch up with… AJA’s software itself is typically pretty solid, but you can only be as good as the info you’re given… HOWEVER, I’d also add that in my experience in web forums, there are some actual issues, and then there are a pretty high percentage of incidents of the user simply not reading instructions or knowing how to troubleshoot their own rig to discover their own mistake.

    I’m really surprised that AJA said that this configuration was acceptable, but I guess they would know…

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

  • Tim Kolb

    April 12, 2010 at 8:07 am in reply to: ALEXA vs. RED?

    [Pat McGowan] “given that RED has the dominant market position”

    In what market?

    TimK,
    Director, Consultant
    Kolb Productions,

Page 139 of 350

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy