Hmm … a challenge.
I’ve just tried the FW preview for the first time on this Dell XPS Gen2 laptop running XP, by hooking it up to a little Optura Pi. I hooked up the FW cables, launched AE 6.5, set up a comp, then set the display prefs to IEEE 1394 NTSC with the first three boxes checked (previews, mirror, interactions). Worked like a charm during RAM previews and scrubbing. At least on the camcorder’s flip-out monitor.
Maybe I’m mything something (sorry) ….
1. Have you tried it on computers that have no Avid installed?
2. Have you tried it without the Avid running?
I smell conflict with the Avid. As you know, sometimes two apps don’t share the preview very well. Could this be it?
Steve
(by the way, you probably know this Bendex, but for anybody else reading, IEEE is pronounced eye-triple-ee. It’s an Electrical Engineering Association. Or Institute.)