Forum Replies Created

Page 135 of 426
  • Steve Connor

    November 17, 2014 at 5:05 pm in reply to: FCPX on 5K iMac

    Obviously a mid-high range nMP is going to be faster but

    [Mitch Ives] “To make the new iMac really useful, you’ll need to max it out… at which point it isn’t cheap. The difference in price pretty much disappears,”

    That’s true for the lower spec models, but your 8 Core with dual 700’s and 1TB flash is $3000 more than the iMac!

  • Steve Connor

    November 17, 2014 at 1:23 pm in reply to: FCPX on 5K iMac

    [John Rofrano] “Getting back to the topic of this thread, it would be interesting to see how the AMD Radeon R9 M295X in the iMac 5K stacks up against these GPUs.
    “

    I’m hoping to get a second look at the retina IMac on Friday, I’ll take some 4K material with me to see how that goes.

  • Steve Connor

    November 16, 2014 at 2:42 pm in reply to: FCPX on 5K iMac

    [Jeremy Garchow] “Now outside of fcpx, perhaps this isn’t true, and a GPU and SSD upgrade might be worth it.
    “

    Although FCP X can be a little “creaky” on my upgraded 2008 MP, Premiere Pro CC absolutely flies!

  • Steve Connor

    November 15, 2014 at 11:04 pm in reply to: FCPX on 5K iMac

    [Nicholas Kleczewski] “I have to agree with Oliver. I just returned from an Apple store and while the screen is beautiful, i was not impressed with the UI performance of the iMac 5k at all. Completely granted, it was an i5 base model. But there was minute lag on the stock 1080p projects and very very bad lag on the 4k footage. To the point where id say it’d be very difficult to do real precision editing with, without pulling out your hair in the process.

    They obviously didn’t have the 4k project loaded on the base model Mac Pro, but even the identical 1080p projects that are loaded on both ran noticeably better than the iMac. Basically nothing shocking to report given what they are intended for, I just worry people will buy the iMacs with false sense what they can accomplish.
    “

    I would only worry if someone purchased the i5 model, which is not good enough, the i7 with 4GB card is a different beast entirely.

  • Steve Connor

    November 15, 2014 at 4:51 pm in reply to: FCPX on 5K iMac

    [John Rofrano] “If you’re saying that the 12 core didn’t match the iMac for editing then I really have some re-thinking to do.”

    Yes, the iMac was faster for editing operation

  • Steve Connor

    November 15, 2014 at 1:33 pm in reply to: FCPX on 5K iMac

    I’d go with the iMac, FCP X seems to be optimised for the newer Intel chips, I’ve used a 12 core and it didn’t match the iMac for editing tasks, the one benefit to the 12 core is that I imagine renders will be faster, although having said that when I rendered some .h264 files from the iMac it seemed pretty quick.

    The one I used was an i7 with the 4GB graphics card and only 16GB RAM

  • Steve Connor

    November 15, 2014 at 1:14 pm in reply to: FCPX on 5K iMac

    [Lance Bachelder] “Nice to know about the iMac. I’m currently on a similar 2009 Mac Pro 8 core with SSD and 7950. It’s just okay. Can’t wait to try out the iMac.”

    Don’t try it until you can actually get one, it’s very depressing going back! going to put my order in next week.

  • Steve Connor

    November 14, 2014 at 4:35 pm in reply to: FCPX on 5K iMac

    2008 8 core Mac Pro with SSD drive, G-Tech SATA and Radeon 7950, which I know is less than ideal, But I also use an i7 2013 MBP and the 5K felt considerably faster

  • Steve Connor

    November 14, 2014 at 4:17 pm in reply to: FCPX on 5K iMac

    It was mostly from the internal SSD, but had some other footage on a USB3 drive

  • [Gary Huff] “CS6 I understand. In two mini-docs (7-8 minutes) right now in Premiere CC 2014, and it’s quite a wonderful experience.”

    I’ll second that!

Page 135 of 426

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy