Simon Ubsdell
Forum Replies Created
-
Simon Ubsdell
November 6, 2013 at 8:35 pm in reply to: iMovie (2013) is an unreleased version of Final Cut Pro X with a consumer UI[Marcus Moore] “Carbon to Cocoa, 64bit (which it just missed the boat on, since Logic made to 64bit before the 64bit Carbon initiative was killed), AVFoundation (which iMovie for Mac hadn’t moved to until the new one released just last month).”
I can’t speak about AV Foundation and I’m not sure a lot of us can, but it’s certainly the case that a transition to 64 bit is an exceedingly trivial issue in the scheme of things.
Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com -
Simon Ubsdell
November 6, 2013 at 8:28 pm in reply to: iMovie (2013) is an unreleased version of Final Cut Pro X with a consumer UI[Andy Branner] “:-))))) Yeah, since you know so much about me. You totally got me.
And since you have such rock solid, convincing logic, I’ll be calling Aperture “iPhoto Pro”, Logic “Garageband Pro”, Pages “TextEdit Pro”, OS X “NeXT Pro” etc. etc. etc. Because… it’s really important. I certainly wouldn’t want to NOT give ****.
:-D”
Yup, now you’ve completely lost me.
Thanks for the enlightening discussion nonetheless.
Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com -
Simon Ubsdell
November 6, 2013 at 8:26 pm in reply to: iMovie (2013) is an unreleased version of Final Cut Pro X with a consumer UI[Charlie Austin] “I dunno if it’s correct, it just seems logical in hindsight…”
BTW, Charlie, while I’ve got you, I just want to say a big thank you for your level-headed X posts which have got me moving a lot of my current trailer projects over … and finding it a whole lot of fun to work with, thanks to your suggestions and ideas.
Much appreciated.
There’s still a lot that doesn’t deliver for our workflows and makes for serious headaches but the actual cutting is really liberating and worth the aggravation of the rest of it.
Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com -
Simon Ubsdell
November 6, 2013 at 8:15 pm in reply to: iMovie (2013) is an unreleased version of Final Cut Pro X with a consumer UI[Charlie Austin] ” I hope they put Trailer Templates in FCPX, my job will become much easier”
I have to say that today I would have killed for Trailer Templates Pro 😉
Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com -
Simon Ubsdell
November 6, 2013 at 8:14 pm in reply to: iMovie (2013) is an unreleased version of Final Cut Pro X with a consumer UI[Andy Branner] “Yeah. I’m sure you can prove that the development of X was in fact started AFTER that of iMovie so as to make “iMovie Pro” totally legitimate, as opposed to “FCP Lite”… which of course wouldn’t be nearly as fun and provocative, so, of course not. Or should I say “You really should think about providing chapter and verse for this kind of claim”? 😀
Since otherwise it’s nothing more than the same tired, two year old, unsubstantiated conjecture for the sake of (pointless) argument that leads to nothing of any value imho.”
You must forgive me, I have absolutely no idea what you are trying to say.
Perhaps it’s a generational thing.
Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com -
Simon Ubsdell
November 6, 2013 at 8:13 pm in reply to: iMovie (2013) is an unreleased version of Final Cut Pro X with a consumer UI[Walter Soyka] “Given that your worthless opinions seem spot on, I’m eagerly looking forward to you sharing some worthwhile ones!”
His “leapfrog” idea really does seem to sum the whole thing up perfectly, damn him!
That’s so much in tune with the slightly haphazard way that development works. The notion of strict linear sequence just doesn’t bear any relationship to the reality.
Next up, Charlie Austin on the Middle East crisis.
Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com -
Simon Ubsdell
November 6, 2013 at 8:06 pm in reply to: iMovie (2013) is an unreleased version of Final Cut Pro X with a consumer UI[Charlie Austin] “Here’s my worthless opinion…
iMovie 08- proof of concept, leading to…
FCP X (common concepts, new code and foundations – AV Foundation etc)
—FCPX Evolves… meanwhile… Rewrite iMovie based on FCP X Code while rewriting new version of FCP X
iMovie 10 – released with possible clues to new X features to drive everyone crazy. 😉
FCPX 10.? – waiting on Mac Pro?
Leapfrog. :-)”
Worthless, but far more likely to be right than most views on the subject 😉
Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com -
Simon Ubsdell
November 6, 2013 at 8:03 pm in reply to: iMovie (2013) is an unreleased version of Final Cut Pro X with a consumer UI[Marcus Moore] “FCPX was a much bigger coding job”
I think unless you were there (and I don’t know about you but I wasn’t) that this sort of statement is highly debatable.
iMovie was a seriously sophisticated offering well before X’s release. As to how much coding was involved in the separate offerings it’s frankly anybody’s guess.
And let’s not attach too much importance to the coding – it’s the design that’s the really significant factor.
Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com -
[Herb Sevush] “until then I will continue to post my ignorant questions if it’s all right with you”
As ever, your “ignorant questions” are far more incisive and enlightening than a host of other contributions.
Just sayin’, as it were.
Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com -
Simon Ubsdell
November 6, 2013 at 7:58 pm in reply to: iMovie (2013) is an unreleased version of Final Cut Pro X with a consumer UI[Andy Branner] “Exactamundo… until now. Easily deduced from Alex’ article. Well, for most. Aside from being said over and over and over by various experts on the subject such as Philip Hodgetts etc.
If one were actually to go by LOOKS alone, then there are a boatload of other apps that could equally nonsensically be qualified as “iMovie Pro”. So that’s frightfully disingenuous imho.
Then again, I can’t believe that debunked nonsense is even being rehashed again… :eyes roll:”
As I’m sure you are aware, the appeal to authority is no basis for an argument.
As Walter has just pointed out, “It should be clear that FCPX uses concepts first shown in iMovie”.
What he meant was that all the design principles of FCP X were already fully developed in iMovie long before X ever appeared on the scene.
Whether the code is the same, not the same, or slightly the same, is an utter irrelevance.
Simon Ubsdell
http://www.tokyo-uk.com