Forum Replies Created
-
Thanks for your feedback, Mark and Scott.
Kathlyn and I felt bad when we were turned down by NASE because of pre-existing conditions. Now, I don’t feel so bad reading your feedback.
Well, if any of you other readers have anything positive about the program in your experience, feel free to add your thoughts.
Best regards,
Ron Lindeboom
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ronlindeboom
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
Join the COW’s LinkedIn Group
Now in the COW Magazine: Commercials. A look at the history, strategy, techniques and production workflows of successful commercials. All brought to you by some of the COW’s brightest members. Accept no substitutes!Would you like to be in Creative COW Magazine with your story or contribution? Contact me.
Do you have your complimentary subscription to Creative COW Magazine yet?
-
Looks like we need to have a “spill remover” on the site, as well.
:o)
No apology needed. It’s why we have the pages set as they are.
We figured as long as not many people blow the site out of its wrapper we are okay with it. If it happens a lot, well we will likely have to do something about it eventually.
Best regards,
Ron Lindeboom
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ronlindeboom
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
Join the COW’s LinkedIn Group
Now in the COW Magazine: Commercials. A look at the history, strategy, techniques and production workflows of successful commercials. All brought to you by some of the COW’s brightest members. Accept no substitutes!Would you like to be in Creative COW Magazine with your story or contribution? Contact me.
Do you have your complimentary subscription to Creative COW Magazine yet?
-
Wow, this has to be one of the worst videos — if not the VERY worst — that I have ever seen.
For anyone just starting out and needing to ask questions such as to “How do I…?” — well, just do the opposite of whatever you see here and all will be right as rain with the world.
:o)
Ron Lindeboom
-
The NASE insurance program is a good one if you qualify and pass their entry exam, etc.
We are not on it but we have heard good things about NASE.
Best regards,
Ron Lindeboom
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ronlindeboom
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
Join the COW’s LinkedIn Group
Now in the COW Magazine: Commercials. A look at the history, strategy, techniques and production workflows of successful commercials. All brought to you by some of the COW’s brightest members. Accept no substitutes!Would you like to be in Creative COW Magazine with your story or contribution? Contact me.
Do you have your complimentary subscription to Creative COW Magazine yet?
-
[Jacob Czepluch] “Just to be sure – it would be esiar to do with a green screen, right?”
No. This is a different kind of shot altogether. As Dave LaRonde points out, the secret to pulling this off is in locking down the camera (so that the footage is from the EXACT shot angle and position), shooting it in two passes — one with the person faking the hit without the truck in it and the other is the truck passing through the scene.
Using masks you can then “reveal” the man being hit just at the opportune moments. As Ian Corey points out, this is an effect that is really sold through the sound fx even moreso than the visual (which will happen very quickly if done correctly).
Best regards,
Ron Lindeboom
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ronlindeboom
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
Join the COW’s LinkedIn Group
Now in the COW Magazine: Commercials. A look at the history, strategy, techniques and production workflows of successful commercials. All brought to you by some of the COW’s brightest members. Accept no substitutes!Would you like to be in Creative COW Magazine with your story or contribution? Contact me.
Do you have your complimentary subscription to Creative COW Magazine yet?
-
Thanks for the kind words, Matthew, they are appreciated.
Abraham, Kathlyn, Tim and I are hard at work on our new server farm. We hope to have it live by the beginning of April. It is load-balanced with a LOT more horsepower and includes new SSL features to support secure log-in and transactions when dealing with user private information.
We also have more expanded services on the drawing board that will enable users to do things that the COW has never done before. We have some very cool features and additions planned and we think that our members are really going to like them.
Best regards,
Ron Lindeboom
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ronlindeboom
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
Join the COW’s LinkedIn Group
Now in the COW Magazine: Commercials. A look at the history, strategy, techniques and production workflows of successful commercials. All brought to you by some of the COW’s brightest members. Accept no substitutes!Would you like to be in Creative COW Magazine with your story or contribution? Contact me.
Do you have your complimentary subscription to Creative COW Magazine yet?
-
[Ryan Hamilton] “Sharing them among peers and your competition should be a good thing.”
There is NO WAY that I am going to tell my competition what I charge. I will tell them LOTS of things. I will share all kinds of information and things that can help them. But my pricing structure? Never. Nope. Nine. Nada.
Why?
I arrived at it through all the steps that many here have outlined. Steps that involve analyzing your business, your market, your real costs and on and on…
Will I and many here help people analyze these things and come to their own conclusion? Yes. But will I hand someone a magic window that gives them a breakout of what each type of work costs in my business? Nope.
If that offends you, which it seems it does based on some of your comments around here, then you need to understand that there are many many years of business represented across the pictures that host this forum and each of them gives a LOT of free advice. They learned long ago that there are no magic answers for rates, policies, etc. You have to review your own circumstances and abilities — along with the kind of customers you attract. You charge $50 an hour for motion graphics work. Me, I wouldn’t open After Effects for $50 an hour and my customers wouldn’t want me to. They wouldn’t take me serious if I did. But that’s because I don’t make it the #1 part of my business. It’s just another service I offer. If I were doing After Effects work all the time, then $50 an hour MIGHT make sense, just so I could keep my job log more full. (But I doubt I really would under my present situation, though based on circumstances, your mileage may vary.)
That’s the point: prices change with circumstance, situation, overhead, customers, etc., etc. — and that is why only someone starting out in business throws out rates like there is nothing to it. It’s actually quite amateurish, really.
BTW: If you EVER make another post around here in which you treat someone with the same kind of discourtesy that you treated Paul Del Vecchio when “critiquing” his website, with all the personal insults and whatnot, I will show you the door in an instant. Capeesh?
Have a nice day,
Best regards,
Ron Lindeboom
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ronlindeboom
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
Join the COW’s LinkedIn Group
Now in the COW Magazine: Commercials. A look at the history, strategy, techniques and production workflows of successful commercials. All brought to you by some of the COW’s brightest members. Accept no substitutes!Would you like to be in Creative COW Magazine with your story or contribution? Contact me.
Do you have your complimentary subscription to Creative COW Magazine yet?
-
[Eric Klassen] “Total calories burned…about 500.”
I wish that we had a system wherein people could always find whatever they wanted that is here but unfortunately that is simply not the case, Eric.
I am always delighted when users here know exactly what someone else is looking for and give them the link. I am often surprised that people dig out articles that are old and have been around for years. Things I have forgotten about.
But I smile at the thought that 500 calories could be expended looking for articles. ;o)
If that were the case, you could call me Cowboy Slim. Unfortunately, I am more accurately called something along the lines of the Heavy Hereford.
I hope you find what you are after.
Have fun.
Best regards,
Ron Lindeboom
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ronlindeboom
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
Join the COW’s LinkedIn Group
Now in the COW Magazine: Commercials. A look at the history, strategy, techniques and production workflows of successful commercials. All brought to you by some of the COW’s brightest members. Accept no substitutes!Would you like to be in Creative COW Magazine with your story or contribution? Contact me.
Do you have your complimentary subscription to Creative COW Magazine yet?
-
Corey,
Have you any idea what it takes to run and build this site?
Every time we get more money, we add more servers, more power, more free services and other user-centric stuff to this site. (In fact, we just ordered and paid for a $20,000 load-balancing router and a couple more servers that will be added to the farm to speed things up to support user services during peak load times.)
We give away magazines, podcasts, tutorials and a ton of other things. All free.
We are less than a handful of people who build and pay for all this infrastructure. If you have any useful suggestions, we are all ears.
Also, it’s actually quite easy to find the video tutorials on this site. There is a link in the tutorials library for “video tutorials.” To find them it’s hardly a quest against dragons or whatnot.
Best regards,
Ron Lindeboom
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ronlindeboom
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
Join the COW’s LinkedIn Group
Now in the COW Magazine: Commercials. A look at the history, strategy, techniques and production workflows of successful commercials. All brought to you by some of the COW’s brightest members. Accept no substitutes!Would you like to be in Creative COW Magazine with your story or contribution? Contact me.
Do you have your complimentary subscription to Creative COW Magazine yet?
-
[Paul Del Vecchio] “However, the site design on the main page might be questionable as well… Any opinions on the main page (should I have stuck with that look)?”
No. Spend the $50 or $60 to get a decent looking template to start from and don’t clutter it up. Try to work within the constraints of the design and keep it as clean as possible.
Here are a bunch of website templates that you can see at…
https://www.templatemonster.com/website-templates.php
While they are far from a perfect solution, as I said in another post: they are cheap, they can be deployed in far less time than doing everything from scratch and in doing so you can think about what you like and how you want to change things later in an original design.
Best regards,
Ron Lindeboom
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ronlindeboom
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
Join the COW’s LinkedIn Group
Now in the COW Magazine: Commercials. A look at the history, strategy, techniques and production workflows of successful commercials. All brought to you by some of the COW’s brightest members. Accept no substitutes!Would you like to be in Creative COW Magazine with your story or contribution? Contact me.
Do you have your complimentary subscription to Creative COW Magazine yet?