Forum Replies Created
-
[Timothy J. Allen] “As far as whether certification is worth the effort, I have to say that I never got a job because of my certifications, I got them because of the interview and my reel. BUT… having the certifications DID help me make the cut to where I was one of the applicants who was invited to interview and submit my reel. Certifications might not get you the job, but in my book, they certainly don’t hurt.”
I’d agree 100%, Timothy, when one is looking at working with a government entity like NASA, etc. These types of jobs are the only ones where I have seen certification carry a lot of weight.
But even in ad agencies, etc., I have seen that a killer demo reel goes much farther than certification.
But as you say, it can’t hurt. ;o)
My point was speaking strictly from the angle of cost efficiencies and that there are better ways to spend one’s money.
How did your move go, Timothy? Are you and the family settled in???
Best regards,
Ron Lindeboom
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ronlindeboom
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
Join the COW’s LinkedIn Group
Now in the COW Magazine: Commercials. A look at the history, strategy, techniques and production workflows of successful commercials. All brought to you by some of the COW’s brightest members. Accept no substitutes!Would you like to be in Creative COW Magazine with your story or contribution? Contact me.
Do you have your complimentary subscription to Creative COW Magazine yet?
-
EVERY year NAB has about 200 new companies that come and go. It’s called “churn” and is a known phenomenon. They are just trying to take any marketing angle they can to try to undo the damage done to them by Avid and Apple departing.
Another name for it is “turning lemons into lemonade.”
Best regards,
Ron Lindeboom
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ronlindeboom
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
Join the COW’s LinkedIn Group
Now in the COW Magazine: Commercials. A look at the history, strategy, techniques and production workflows of successful commercials. All brought to you by some of the COW’s brightest members. Accept no substitutes!Would you like to be in Creative COW Magazine with your story or contribution? Contact me.
Do you have your complimentary subscription to Creative COW Magazine yet?
-
Ron Lindeboom
March 14, 2008 at 9:35 pm in reply to: The Ultimate Video Production Company Promo VideoMe, I am amazed by the direct homespun appeal that they bring to their projects. How can anyone fail to identify with them? By a truly insightful use of establishing shots, a great soundtrack, real character development, and FX that “melt” into the story without drawing too much attention to themselves — they clearly have studied their audience and know that they are creating a true one-to-one connection with it. Brilliant stuff.
Like Nick, it makes me fearful and gives a whole new meaning to that old Hollywood axiom that “you’ll never work in this town again.”
In fact, I am sure that none of us will ever work again and we are all out of business. Fortunately, we have a classifieds section here at the COW to help us all sell our equipment.
As Yoda would say: “Doomed now, we are.”
Best regards,
Ron Lindeboom
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ronlindeboom
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
Join the COW’s LinkedIn Group
Now in the COW Magazine: Commercials. A look at the history, strategy, techniques and production workflows of successful commercials. All brought to you by some of the COW’s brightest members. Accept no substitutes!Would you like to be in Creative COW Magazine with your story or contribution? Contact me.
Do you have your complimentary subscription to Creative COW Magazine yet?
-
The ONLY reason that you account would be flagged is that you tried to enter you user name as a single word such as Dennis.
We are now a real names only site and Dennis (which you used) will no longer work. The reason this post worked is that we approve accounts with first and last names.
Your previous attempts did not include the last name.Also, placing both first and last names together such as dennisharrold will not work. Our mechanism will flag all single name posts for review and when we see that someone’s account is a single name, we do not add them to our boards.
This is why your posts failed.
Best regards,
Ron Lindeboom
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ronlindeboom
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
Join the COW’s LinkedIn Group
Now in the COW Magazine: Commercials. A look at the history, strategy, techniques and production workflows of successful commercials. All brought to you by some of the COW’s brightest members. Accept no substitutes!Would you like to be in Creative COW Magazine with your story or contribution? Contact me.
Do you have your complimentary subscription to Creative COW Magazine yet?
-
We have a policy in the COW that when forums fall below our minimum activity level, we turn them off. Our newest forum, Softron, is #243 and yet we only have 152 active forums. Not every forum survives in the COW as we do not want to be like some sites that you see on the Net where they have 300 to 400 forums and almost none of them are active. When a forum becomes as inactive as the Grass Valley forum became, we turn them off.
Also, another of the biggest concerns we had was the added housekeeping duty to try to moderate the complaints and negativity that seemed a constant on the forum due to the long near-vaporware status of the Infinity camera. (The traffic dwindled because of this over the years into a trickle of noise posts that long ago drove off most serious users.) These complaints regularly went beyond our policy statement and we removed some posts over the years, but finally it became clear that we really were uncomfortable having to moderate a forum so heavily. This, as none of our other forums do we have to do this.
We apologize for the inconvenience but there are over 90 forums over the years that failed to generate enough interest, had policy issues, etc., and were culled from the COW herd.
Best regards,
Ron Lindeboom
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ronlindeboom
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
Join the COW’s LinkedIn Group
Now in the COW Magazine: Commercials. A look at the history, strategy, techniques and production workflows of successful commercials. All brought to you by some of the COW’s brightest members. Accept no substitutes!Would you like to be in Creative COW Magazine with your story or contribution? Contact me.
Do you have your complimentary subscription to Creative COW Magazine yet?
-
There are FEW people that learn best in a group setting that is paced to go at the pace that the teacher sets.
MOST people learn best when NONLINEAR learning is involved. (If you don’t think so, that’s your prerogative but it’s the reason that nonlinear editing beat out other forms; that, and it’s cheaper — the two things that nonlinear learning also enjoys.)
For the few that can learn and retain everything that is presented at a conference, “go for it” me says.
Best regards,
Ron Lindeboom
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ronlindeboom
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
Join the COW’s LinkedIn Group
Now in the COW Magazine: Commercials. A look at the history, strategy, techniques and production workflows of successful commercials. All brought to you by some of the COW’s brightest members. Accept no substitutes!Would you like to be in Creative COW Magazine with your story or contribution? Contact me.
Do you have your complimentary subscription to Creative COW Magazine yet?
-
Lynda.com has a full complete curriculum available for both Apple Final Cut and Motion. You can pay $25 a month if you just want the lessons at your pace, or you can pay $50 a month if you want the lessons and the project files.
I have yet to meet the person who didn’t get left behind in an area of learning during the conference because they were afraid to put up their hand and stop the class because they missed a point and fell behind from that point on.
I truly think that the days of trade shows and conferences are coming to an end. There used to be a real point to them decades past but today there are so many cheaper and better ways to learn that conferences are becoming a thing of the past.
Also, unless you are planning on writing a book, I have yet to see anyone gain an advantage from a certification program.
Save your money, go to Lynda.com. I would.
Best regards,
Ron Lindeboom
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ronlindeboom
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
Join the COW’s LinkedIn Group
Now in the COW Magazine: Commercials. A look at the history, strategy, techniques and production workflows of successful commercials. All brought to you by some of the COW’s brightest members. Accept no substitutes!Would you like to be in Creative COW Magazine with your story or contribution? Contact me.
Do you have your complimentary subscription to Creative COW Magazine yet?
-
Some people use scan converters to up-res 72dpi images (like those that make up the net). Good scan converters are very expensive and so individuals do not normally possess them. Some stations and networks do but I have yet to meet the individual that does.
Then for the truly tight-in shots, as Dave LaRonde says, some stations/networks construct those by hand to add to the illusion that they are going tight onto an area of the website.
There are no magic bullets. If there were, we would be using them. Even the fractal up-resing plug-ins that exist are far from great. They are better than nothing but I have yet to find one that I would rate as freakin’ awesome.
Best regards,
Ron Lindeboom
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ronlindeboom
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
Join the COW’s LinkedIn Group
Now in the COW Magazine: Commercials. A look at the history, strategy, techniques and production workflows of successful commercials. All brought to you by some of the COW’s brightest members. Accept no substitutes!Would you like to be in Creative COW Magazine with your story or contribution? Contact me.
Do you have your complimentary subscription to Creative COW Magazine yet?
-
[Ryan Hamilton] “Otherwise be weary of using template and stock assets because it cuts back on the creative difference you have against others. Think of it like this. Whats better, tattoo # 47 off the wall or the custom tattoo drawn just for you.”
Ryan,
In all the years that I have worked with corporate clients, I have YET to find one who knows as much about the design process as I do. Or where assets come from. They do not know if it took me hours or if I spent a few hours designing something from stock assets. One of the highest paying gigs I ever had involved creating a soundtrack for a videowall presentation for a museum. Did I score it from scratch? No. I used stock library cut based on the emotion of the imagery. I got paid really well. Was I the composer? No, I was the guy with the check. ;o)
Think what you want, there are reasons that the term “starving artist” exists. Me, I am a designer. I will leave the art to Van Gogh, Rembrandt and DaVinci. What we make is art for the moment, hardly worthy of taking oneself so seriously as to think it will be art for the ages.
Besides, I never liked tattoos — and I never liked using stock without playing with it, usually a lot (which still doesn’t take me long). And not one of my clients has ever asked if it’s all my original work. They want results not an original Rembrandt.
But MOST importantly, I never use stock assets that are the Flavor of the Week. (Which is always dangerous and so easy to spot.)
Best regards,
Ron Lindeboom
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ronlindeboom
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
Join the COW’s LinkedIn Group
Now in the COW Magazine: Commercials. A look at the history, strategy, techniques and production workflows of successful commercials. All brought to you by some of the COW’s brightest members. Accept no substitutes!Would you like to be in Creative COW Magazine with your story or contribution? Contact me.
Do you have your complimentary subscription to Creative COW Magazine yet?
-
Most of what you said was actually quite good feedback, Ryan. But you can be honest with people without all the “extras.” Honesty doesn’t have to cross the line into denigrating a person with comments like…
“Your reel seems like some second rate attempt at being some blockbuster fantasy adventure trailer. Had you had the low voice over explaining your stuff I would have fell out my chair pissing my self. Shorter reels with A+ only top notch bits of your work are stronger than longer ones. somethings may be good, but as soon as I see something half ass I think your skill level is not as good anymore. Potential clients will see this as well. Some serious criticism here, and with the other posts as well, that you need to suck up and accept.”
…are simply over the top. Maybe you think they’re not but around the COW, we really strive for honest feedback without all the “cold water face slapping” that some seem to take joy in. If you like it, trust me, I will make you a regular recipient of it whenever I disagree with you.
Nearly all of my business is done outside my area. I have only a couple of local accounts. To me, $50 an hour for AE work is below my rate. I wouldn’t work for that. That’s me, your mileage may vary.
Best regards,
Ron Lindeboom
https://www.linkedin.com/in/ronlindeboom
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine
Join the COW’s LinkedIn Group
Now in the COW Magazine: Commercials. A look at the history, strategy, techniques and production workflows of successful commercials. All brought to you by some of the COW’s brightest members. Accept no substitutes!Would you like to be in Creative COW Magazine with your story or contribution? Contact me.
Do you have your complimentary subscription to Creative COW Magazine yet?