Forum Replies Created
-
There is also another 3D program that would be one of the ones I’d look at for a kid and that is e-on VUE Esprit online on their website at
https://www.e-onsoftware.com/products/vue/vue_6_esprit/
It’s $200 and it is very powerful and I know of a few studios that use it for some very well known broadcast projects — though they’ll never tell you that. ;o)
Ron Lindeboom
-
Ron Lindeboom
April 25, 2008 at 6:26 am in reply to: Aurora Borealis/Vista Aurora Screen saver effectKathlyn once did a tutorial long ago in a website far far away and it had a formula that basically went like this…
Kathlyn said:
I used to live in Soldotna on the Kenai Penninsula in Alaska and have seen the Northern Lights and I played around with some plug-ins and came up with something that looks like the Northern Lights.
Try placing the DigiEffects Strange Nebulae effect from the Aurorix plug-ins set two or three times in a row; placing them side by side so that you’ll end up with a pretty good looking aurora. Add enough blur to get the look you want.
1. Start with a black solid above your background movie.
2. Add DigiEffects Aurorix2 Strange Nebulae; set it to “smooth”.
3. Apply John Knoll’s “Unmult” filter (available free with a Google search for it).
4. Transform to rotate the “Nebulae” — also play with the scale height and width.
5. Add compound blur.
6. Wave Warp -Sine. Set wave height to 25, width to 50 and wave sp to 20.
Like I said, it looks pretty cool and you can tweak the settings to your exact likes.
With best regards,
Kathlyn Lindeboom
That was the formula she came up with for those who have the DigiEffects plug-ins set Aurorix.
I am sure that there are many other ways now, this recipe was from long long ago.
Ron Lindeboom
-
[Jeff Coleman] “It’s reasonable to desire faster editing capability and foundational editing capability from a product at this level. This is not open sourceware wherein the buyer doesn’t know if any updates or support will ever be coming. There are many things about FCP that I prefer over Avid, but speed and media management aren’t on that list. Do you think they’ll ever be?”
I hate to smack of being an Apple fanboy or something but there is one fact that has yet to be addressed in this thread…
Cost.
A fully tricked Avid with all the bells and whistles can run many, many, many times that of a fully tricked MacPro running Final Cut Studio.
Will there be areas where one will best the other?
Yes.
But when it comes to cost-to-feature ratios, I think that even the staunchest Avid user would have to give the nod to Apple — just as any Apple user half honest and knowledgeable would concede Avid beats FCP hands-down when it comes to areas like media management and with-client editing advantages.
But hey, keeping a whole hell of a lot of money in your pocket isn’t a bad advantage either.
Which one is the more important is up to the individual.
Just my two centavos,
Ron Lindeboom
-
There are new jobs being added daily to the COW’s JOBS forums. (We have both one for higher pay and lower/no pay jobs, as well as one for jobs wanted.) You will find them in the list of forums, in the “COW Related” section at the front of the list.
The jobs service is free.
We also added a “Services Offered” area to the COW where you can sign up your company — for free — to be listed in the categories that you wish to be listed in. You will find the services area listed in the orange links bar at the top of the screen.
While they are not guarantees that you will find work through them, many people here do and so they are worth taking the time to use. Free is good and we are now reaching the 800,000 unique monthly user mark and so getting access to this much traffic at no cost is a good thing.
Best regards,
Ron Lindeboom
-
Man oh man, Steve. ;o)
Now the search engine is going to sit lonely for another day.
I guess I’m going to have to go look up somethin’, or somethin’.
Have fun, Steve.
Ron Lindeboom
-
What you need to do is use the search engine and look-up words like “de-interlacing” “de-interlace” (also try “deinterlace” or “deinterlacing”) and “pulldown” (for 3:2 pulldown).
Look these up in your manuals also. You will also find them in your online help files.
Read those subjects and you will understand what is up.
BTW: How can a man live for the better part of what seems a minute or so onscreen with his heart ripped out and being eaten in front of him by a succubus? Especially while telling her “I love you.” (The time relativity seems a bit beyond the pale, and I think that the word and meaning of “love” has been stretched to new limits here.) Just my reaction — but then I am not a 17 year old kid with a bad case of hormones who would sell his soul for a chance to get into her panties — so I guess the story wasn’t written for me.
😉
Best regards,
Ron Lindeboom
-
[Richard Boghosian] “At the time, the Apple XRaid WAS fast storage, and 5.04 ran faster on a Power PC than 5.14 on my current Intel Quad. And there is no excuse why we don’t have more PCI slots in those huge enclosures. And lane speed assignments- what a joke at the premium price. We accept what they make because we have to -they ignore the marketplace (and NAB) at our peril -unfortunately not theirs. In addition to an iLife division, they need a proLife division. One million of us deserve more.”
I have more than my fair share of shots at Apple that I am sure pissed them off, stepping on their toes for things that make no sense to me. But this comment and sub-thread has me scratching my head…
I remember quite well the days of the ICE cards — I have two here, wanna buy one or both? I remember the HUGE costs just to get the plug-ins that were ICE’d and how tempermental the whole thing was. Kathlyn and I used to joke that we weren’t sure that in the end the limits weren’t exceeding the benefits. Did I mention the price was also huge and when you added the cost of the effects, it became far more than we pay for machines and software today???
Hell, I paid more for a 9gig Micropolis 1991 video-capable drive — at $3,500 for 9gigs — than I would for three suites of Final Cut Studio today.
I really don’t see the complaint, at all.
The cost-to-feature/benefit ratio is squarely laid to the benefit of the user today.
Pining away for the glory days of the ICE cards is amazingly myopic in my opinion, as it ignores ALL of the other factors at play — both then and now.
Given a choice of staying in the present or going back to the days when ICE was the greatest thing since sliced bread, I’ll take the present, thank you.
If you need two more ICE cards, lemme me know — they’re hot and they’re in stock.
Oh, with FREE delivery, too!
😉
Best regards,
Ron Lindeboom
-
For pros or hobbyists? Are you asking about 2D, 3D or cel animation type programs?
Ron Lindeboom
-
No, we do not offer this service and do not have it planned for the future, either.
CreativeCOW is a business and we pay for it by its traffic being sponsored by advertising. (In fact, we are now up to 7 servers, all dual and quad processor machines running a lot of RAM and drive space, etc., a dedicated CISCO router along with a hardware load balancer. It costs many thousands each month to support nearly 800,000 unique monthly visitor/members.)
Feeding most everything else we do, the news, the podcasts, the articles, etc., we are willing to do. Feeding the forums posts, we tried once but it affected our traffic in an adverse way and so we have no plans to support it in the future.
Best regards,
Ron Lindeboom
-
[david bogie] “I mostly notice what lousy tastes Americans have in beer when I’m riding in Oregon and Iderho.”
That is because anyone who drinks cheap mass produced beer is as little concerned about their “inner ecology” as they are the roadsides and so treat them with the same disregard.
OTOH, someone who takes the time and effort to imbibe microbrew finery, shows a conscious regard for their inner topography and ecology. Hence, they take the same care with the environment.
And let’s not get into the recycling angle on this leg of the thread.
;o)
Best regards,
Ron Lindeboom