The truth is, if you fail to plan and plan well, you have, well … planned to fail.
Sorry to use such an overused turn of phrase but it is quite true.
You cannot expect to emulate techniques that are drawn from well planned and storyboarded, orchestrated and executed shots that are the basis of the great shots.
Just last week, Kathlyn and I had to sit with a director we are working with who wanted to shot a scene wherein an old actor’s hands get a close up and it’s seen that he has had his fingers cut off while he was in a concentration camp. Well, the guy’s hands are perfectly fine.
I had to explain to the guy that we needed to sketch out the shot. He thought it just happened by magic in post. I asked him, “How?” He couldn’t answer and so I explained what it would take to shoot the shot with markers that could be tracked, what a clean plate is, how to track a shot and why, etc., etc. — he had never done an effects shoot before (he’s a pretty sober storyteller and doesn’t do effects movies). When I was done explaining, he was pretty surprised. “That’s a lot more work than I thought it was going to be,” he said.
It always is.
Unless you want crappy results and are planning on failing.
Ron Lindeboom
creativecow.net