“Actually, is there a way to accurately obtain the corner information of a solid layer that’s in 3d space without resorting to tracking?”
Yes. Create four nulls (named TopRight, BottomLeft, etc.), place their anchor points at the corners of the object you’re trying to track.
Then wherever you’re trying to find a particular corner point create an expression that says
thisComp.layer(“TopRight”).toComp([0,0,0])
Where TopRight is the corner you’re trying to track. Just change it to BottomRight, or whatever corner you happen to be working on. This tracks the 2d comp window placement of a 2d layer. I use this expression often for positioning lens flares, Trapcode’s Shine, etc. In fact, this expression is being used in the comp I’m currently rendering.
My AE machine is tied up in a render at the moment, so I can’t pull set up a demo project to try out using information like this in the Shatter effect, but that answers your tracking question anyway.
– The Great Szalam
(The ‘Great’ stands for ‘Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble’)
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Social Media Profiles