Forum Replies Created

Page 477 of 549
  • Michael Szalapski

    December 17, 2009 at 2:15 pm in reply to: Benefit of extra Graphics Memory (Frame Buffer)

    I can’t explain in which way frame buffer plays a role in OpenGL performance, but I can tell you that most of us have Open GL turned off in AE. In nearly every case, AE runs much smoother and better without it.

    – The Great Szalam
    (The ‘Great’ stands for ‘Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble’)

    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

  • Michael Szalapski

    December 17, 2009 at 4:12 am in reply to: Basic Training

    I watched Total Training’s DVD’s back on version 5.

    I don’t know when I could say that I could use it confidently. I think I just realized one day that I knew what I was doing. And I don’t really know how long it took. It was probably over a year, but I wasn’t using it every day at the time.

    AE is a very powerful program. Considering what it can do, it is shockingly easy to use. The more powerful a program is, the harder it is to learn. The more “user-friendly” a program is, the less it can do. I love After Effects; it’s an amazing program and the things you can do with a pretty regular desktop computer and this program is better than what people could do a few years ago with machines and software costing tens of thousands of dollars.

    Even though I’ve used After Effects quite heavily for over five years (and at my current job I use it daily as my main tool), I still don’t know everything about it. In fact, there are whole areas where I’m still a newb. (Expressions, for example; I can only write basic ones without help.)
    So don’t feel bad if you aren’t an expert in a month or two of learning.

    – The Great Szalam
    (The ‘Great’ stands for ‘Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble’)

    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

  • In case you’re not a seasoned AE vet perhaps you might want to read about how to make and use masks.

    – The Great Szalam
    (The ‘Great’ stands for ‘Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble’)

    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

  • Michael Szalapski

    December 16, 2009 at 8:47 pm in reply to: dirty lens

    I added some suggestions on the AE forum for potential solutions that don’t require reshooting.

    But you should probably reshoot…

    – The Great Szalam
    (The ‘Great’ stands for ‘Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble’)

    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

  • Michael Szalapski

    December 16, 2009 at 8:46 pm in reply to: dirty lens

    Ironic how the lens cleaning cloth caused the issue…

    It’s possible that the actually thread sits still on the lens. I’ve seen it happen. If so, a bit of CC wire removal should take care of it without too much work.

    We didn’t ask how picture perfect this needs to be; perhaps all we need is an adjustment layer to put a small blur over that area of the screen.

    We also didn’t ask where on the picture this errant piece of cloth is; perhaps, if it’s on the edge of the picture, with a bit of scaling and positioning we can make it go away.

    Alternatively we could use this strand of cloth to our advantage. Perhaps if we decide this piece needs a vintage look. We can add lots of fibers, scratches, etc. to get the old film look and maybe in all the noise it’ll look like part of the design.

    Or, rather than the busy frantic movement of old film damage, perhaps we could go with a texture of some description; like the video is printed on old paper – à la Harry Potter’s newspapers.

    Or perhaps it’s in a location that could be covered up by a logo of some sort. Again, we’re not sure what kind of piece this is or where the thread spends the majority of its time.

    However, I’m inclined to agree with you. Most cases of this need to be reshot or take a lot of time to fix. It’s bad enough taking curved telephone wires that don’t move out of cloud timelapse video (bad directing…long story) much less something that’s curved and moving around.

    – The Great Szalam
    (The ‘Great’ stands for ‘Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble’)

    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

  • Michael Szalapski

    December 16, 2009 at 8:09 pm in reply to: I need a tutor

    David Johnson and Dave Johnson? I’m surrounded!

    – The Great Szalam
    (The ‘Great’ stands for ‘Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble’)

    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

  • The Ebberts is astonishing that way.

    – The Great Szalam
    (The ‘Great’ stands for ‘Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble’)

    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

  • Michael Szalapski

    December 16, 2009 at 8:02 pm in reply to: dirty lens

    If your question is if you can remove it in Final Cut Pro or Color, perhaps you should ask in one of those forums.

    You may be able to remove it in After Effects without too much trouble. If you want AE help, could you post a still for an example so we can see what you’re working with?

    – The Great Szalam
    (The ‘Great’ stands for ‘Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble’)

    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

  • Michael Szalapski

    December 16, 2009 at 7:56 pm in reply to: Please!!!!

    Also, I meant to point out in my last message, I’m not sure what you meant by your other post a week ago not getting any responses.
    Your other post on the COW did get responses.
    Responses in less than 24 hours too.
    Both from professionals with full-time jobs in the industry.

    – The Great Szalam
    (The ‘Great’ stands for ‘Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble’)

    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

  • Michael Szalapski

    December 16, 2009 at 7:48 pm in reply to: Please!!!!

    I agree with Dave. In your particularly specific circumstance the PC is the better choice; much more processing power.
    I also agree that more RAM is better.
    But since you’re spending half the money on the PC, you might have enough money to get an 8 core machine with 32Gb of RAM instead. Just a suggestion. 🙂
    And I also agree with Dave about having more than one hard drive.

    – The Great Szalam
    (The ‘Great’ stands for ‘Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble’)

    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Page 477 of 549

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy