This is common and comes with the territory. You were trying to please the wrong person. The person to please, ultimately, is whoever signs the checks. And that is not always the guy that sits in the suite with you while you work.
If you can afford to tell them off, you can, otherwise, smile, nod, do whatever they (think they) want at the moment, and always bill them for everything. To protect yourself, it is handy to have someone sign a time sheet of some sort that implies they approved what they just watched.
My personal best horror story like this, just to show you this is a big club you are in:
We once had a client come in, she spent most of the day trying to choose between several fonts and colors for some bullet points building on a screen. This was in the linear tape editing days, and the bullets were part of a sequence of dissolves. For you youngsters that only know NLE computer editing, this meant every time I had a change in one bullet point, I had to re-edit the same dozen shots dissolving between decks that dissolved into the first bullet screen before going forward, to make sure we didn’t have chroma shifts or jumped frames/fields before we even GOT to the bullets, a process that took about fifteen minutes each time she asked for a change. Like if you didn’t have a word processor, and every time you changed a large paragraph on page 3 of your document, you had to re-type the next four pages to accomodate the change in spacing. I explained the situation to her in just that way, when she started asking for do-overs.
I tried using non-destructive, non-recording previews to show what the new cut would look like on the master TV for her. I explained carefully each time that this was not an actual edit yet, that it was a rehearsal to see if she approved the change before I made it permanent, I needed her to approve and be positive about the change before we committed to it, or we’d have to go back and re-build the dissolve sequence yet again. She’d say yes, she understood.
She watched the preview, said yes, that’s how I want it, go ahead and commit it to tape. She watched me commit it to tape. I’d then go forward one edit from that point. Two edit points. Starting to set up a third. She’d ask me to stop and go back. Play the building list of bullet points again for me. (or was she saying “Play ‘Misty’ for me”?)
And she’d make me go back and change the bullet point shapes, fonts, and colors back to one of the originals.
This went on for four hours until she finally went with, of course, the first version I had done originally. At day’s end she complains to my boss that I’m slow and that we have not made all the progress on this project that she’d been expecting; I obviously was incompetent. Boss called me in. I explained my side of things, and that we were all lucky I hadn’t gone postal from this yet. He gave the project to two other producers, who each in his turn all had similar problems, and communicated this to our boss.
My boss, God bless him, then called HER boss, the GTSTC, and explained why the very simple program was taking days longer to complete. They transferred the lady out of her office the same day and told our editor to finish the job on his own from the supplied script. Which he did in an afternoon.
The Guy That Signs The Checks looked at it and loved what our guy had done on his own.