Yes, what you’d do is, if it was a still, you’d use it as a texture map onto a 3-d extruded solid. Think back to applying decals on your model cars or planes as a kid, same idea.
If you wanted it to be motion video, you can map AVI files onto a 3-d solid. And in fact Aftereffects is pretty good for this job. If you don’t have it, perhaps you can farm out this segment to someone for a small sum.
Or, you might just want to use the deal they have going at Digital Juice and buy a discounted version of Zaxworks, then you could do this yourself, and much more, any time you need it. Might want to pop over there and see the demo.
Zaxworks is for more than flying 3-d type around. If you can save out your state shape as a vector art format, Zaxworks should be able to map your pictures or video onto it. Comes in stand-alone formats for mac and PC platforms as well as an AE plug-in. If I had any after-holidays money to spend, I’d get that for myself!:-)
I’m thinking of how to fake this in Apple Motion, basically, two layers of 2-d art, keyframed the same, the top layer positioned to look like it is applied onto the single-color state shape below, using a key. If you fake a coined edge along the side of the state outline down the camera side, using photoshop, and don’t wobble the angle too much in any direction, you could maybe “fake it” and still look *kinda* 3-d. I’ve done that years ago with shapes of Illinois rendered as a 3-d still then manipulated in 2-d with warping.
I’d rather have the Zaxworks though:-)