Forum Replies Created

Page 225 of 282
  • Joseph W. bourke

    December 2, 2011 at 2:50 am in reply to: New windows system – to build or not to build

    I see quite a few HP zSeries workstation chassis for sale at pretty good prices on e*ay. I’m thinking you could get a base unit, then go for the configuration of components that’s suggested on the various sites above, possibly for a lot less than one of the tricked out units with 99GB of RAM.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    December 1, 2011 at 10:57 pm in reply to: Military style sound

    Have you tried:

    https://www.findsounds.com/

    Type in “beep” and you’ll get some choices, one of which (pound.mp3) sounds pretty right to me. You might have to chop it a bit to work as a keyboard sound.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    December 1, 2011 at 4:23 pm in reply to: Contacting Adobe Marketing Department?

    Hi Dave –

    Not to be a wise guy, but I seriously doubt that Adobe sends out hard copies of demo software anymore. It would be prohibitively expensive in terms of time and resources, plus burning and shipping, to do this. I don’t know this for a fact, but I would assume that it’s so, because the demo software is offered as a download.

    That said, Dennis Radeke, Adobe’s Senior Development Manager is both a nice guy, and accesible. You might want to contact him via LinkedIn:

    https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=3641780&authType=name&authToken=scHN&locale=en_US&pvs=pp&trk=ppro_viewmore

    He also has a blog here:

    https://blogs.adobe.com/genesisproject/

    He can probably tell you off the top of his head. Good luck.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Bill –

    This is just the beginning. I remember only too well the desktop revolution. Everyone had 36 typefaces to use, and they used them – on every page!

    This time around it’s going to be worse when you factor in sound, motion, and color. You think a bad page design is bothersome? Wait until you hear someone who can’t put two sentences together try to explain how to use software they bought last week, and didn’t read the manual yet!

    In my market there’s been an explosion of “film makers”, “editors”, and “cinematographers” who just bought the pro-sumer HD camera, and now own FCPX, and are hanging out their shingles as if they know what they’re doing. I wish them well, and we all have to start somewhere, but ninety percent of them will be selling real estate in a year or so. It’s a brave new world!

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    November 26, 2011 at 7:01 pm in reply to: How to apply effects to only one subject of a video

    Unless your cousins are dressed in totally different solid colors, the only way to achieve this is through a combination of keying and rotoscoping.

    I suggest you try the key first, just to see how many frames you will absolutely have to do by hand. Then use the Roto-brush (depending on what version of AE you have) or hand mask the subject you want to correct. It will be time consuming, but a good learning experience.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    November 19, 2011 at 7:44 pm in reply to: News

    Brad –

    AVID has actually lost ground in some television news markets. The station I was former Art Director for, bought the AVID line several years ago, buying four seats of Newscutter, a Unity mass storage setup, and it set us back hugely as far as productivity went, not to mention the dollars invested. Our ownership drank the AVID cool-aid to the tune of millions in all of the 20 plus markets where they owned stations.

    When the dust cleared, our productivity went down by roughly 40 percent due to constant problems with the Unity system, which really required AVID trained engineers on site to maintain it. The software was quirky and slow, and we were promised an upgrade path to HD via a very exensive card, which was never manufactured (they changed their minds).

    These 20 plus stations are now entirely run with the CS5.5 Production Premium suite, and Adobe has even put their engineers on the job, making sure that their software works well with the ENPS newsroom systems. Matter of fact, I just found the news release – this switchover happened back in 2009:

    https://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/200909/HearstTelevisionAdoptsAdobeVideoProductionSolutions.html

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    November 15, 2011 at 11:32 pm in reply to: Green Key with Green Vegetables front of Actor?

    Whoops – I was answering for After Effects – this will probably help you out:

    https://www.sternfx.com/tutorials/94

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    November 15, 2011 at 11:29 pm in reply to: Green Key with Green Vegetables front of Actor?

    I don’t know anything about Ultrakey, but you need to make the keyer ignore the green vegetables by using a mask. There may be that capability in Ultrakey, or you may just need to use the masking tool in AE.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    November 14, 2011 at 3:45 pm in reply to: Editing footage

    Hi John –

    Here’s a slight alternative, which may or may not work for you. I often have projects in which I need edited pieces that contain anywhere from four to ten clips. What I do is create my “build reels” in separate comps, with logical naming conventions (“Patriots_Open”, “Jets_Open”, etc.), then drop those “edited” comps into my master comp, which could be an open, bump, or other element which needs an edited piece which can be quickly changed.

    If you’re doing tons of these, it might be quicker to use PPro, or FCP, but I found that I could jump back and forth between comps in AE much faster than I could switch hats from compositing mindset to editing mindset. Your choice.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    November 12, 2011 at 3:40 am in reply to: Tracking Points

    It sounds as if you may want something like camera matching, in which a track is made of your actual camera moves, so that planes, such as the walls, floor, etc. are mapped, so that other objects can be placed in the scene and look as if they are really there.

    If you could give us a bit more information as to what you want to achieve with the track, it would be easier to make suggestions. You might be able to get away with AE’s built in tracking capabilities, or you might want to use Mocha, a step up, but also included with AE.

    There’s a powerful new camera matching plugin for AE from the Foundry:

    https://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/cameratracker/

    It may be overkill for what you want to do, so tell us more about what you want to do.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

Page 225 of 282

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy