Forum Replies Created

Page 102 of 282
  • Joseph W. bourke

    July 23, 2013 at 3:23 pm in reply to: Video Production in College

    Mark hit the nail(s) right on the head. Adaptability is the key word – you’ll always find the Andys of the world poisoning the waters and telling you it can’t be done – move right past them and leave them in the dust.

    No…it’s not going to be easy, but what worth doing is easy? I started out in music, earned a good living with that for close to 20 years, decided to settle down from traveling, and lucked into a job at an ad agency which specialized in television. It was a small shop, so I got to write scripts, do sales cold-calling, work as a grip on 16mm film shoots, (as film was transitioning to videotape), and do lots of voice-over work. I read all of the technical books I could find, did anything I was asked to do, and it turned into a career. I’m still learning every day – as soon as you think you know enough, you’re finished.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    July 23, 2013 at 3:12 pm in reply to: Video for sporting event

    One workaround – is to purchase a copyright free piece of library music which sounds somewhat like the original track. You can find these all over the place with titles that are very similar to the original cut – for example, a “Black Dog” sound-alike might be titled “Black Fog” – even band styles can be found – a Rolling Stones sound-alike might be called “The Stones are Rolling”, or something like that. Pond5 has a lot of affordable music in a wide array of styles. You might want to check them out.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    July 23, 2013 at 2:42 pm in reply to: Modify AE 9 template

    You already posted this in the After Effects forum – here’s my answer from there:

    This is really a question for the person who created the template – he should be available to answer your question – his name is listed right next to the template. It’s impossible to tell what to adjust from just looking at the template. The various segments probably exist as separate comps, but, as I say, it’s impossible to tell – there a many different ways to achieve the same result.

    To add to what I said in the other forum – you have to be careful with templates – depending on how they are created, sometimes it is more difficult to customize them than to create them from scratch.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    July 23, 2013 at 12:38 am in reply to: Video for sporting event

    Sure – they license it by paying for the rights to use it. Anything else is lawsuit territory. Here’s a good first-hand article on what happens when you don’t license the music:

    https://daredreamermag.com/2011/12/07/the-music-licensing-chickens-have-come-home-to-roost-in-wedding-and-event-videography/

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    July 22, 2013 at 10:38 pm in reply to: Video Production in College

    It sounds as if you’re doing the right thing. Get experience in every aspect of production and post-production that you can. Apply for internships at television stations in your area – there are often ones which tie in to colleges with strong Media Production departments.

    Read everything you can find, and watch tutorials. If you want to write, read like there’s no tomorrow. I would suggest you learn Media Composer as well as Premiere Pro. There’s no telling how the production world is going to shake out in the future, so optimize your options.

    Find productions that you like, and pick them apart, figuring out which effects were used, and how they were lit, shot, and posted. Get as much hands-on experience as you can, and don’t let anyone convince you that you can’t make a future out of media production.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    July 22, 2013 at 10:01 pm in reply to: How to Achieve Text Box Effect

    You can get that vertical line (pipe) by either typing SHIFT-\, or with NumLock on, Alt-0124. I find SHIFT-\ easier, and it’s usually printed right on your keyboard.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Thanks Eric –

    I’m glad you get something out of my blog. I’ll avoid the self-aggrandizement here and not put a link in this. I try to post stuff that either distills a lot of information other sites are discussing, or helps others in our business out. The COW has given me more information, and solved more problems than any amount of tech support ever could have, in a shorter space of time.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Joseph W. bourke

    July 22, 2013 at 2:07 pm in reply to: Modify AE 9 template

    This is really a question for the person who created the template – he should be available on VideoHive to answer your question – his name is listed right next to the template. It’s impossible to tell what to adjust from just looking at the template. The various segments probably exist as separate comps, but, as I say, it’s impossible to tell – there a many different ways to achieve the same result.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • Here’s a good rundown on things you might try, from Electronic Musician – I think EQ is the place to start. It partly depends on the recording. If there are ranges of the piano sound missing from the track due to mic quality or placement, all you can do to reduce the muddiness is to back off the low end, and bring up the high end. Otherwise, you can try some of these ideas:

    https://www.emusician.com/gear/0769/mix-bus-6-ways-to-clean-up-mix-mud/136967

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

  • 3D Stroke from Trapcode/Red Giant allows you to do this, and there is most likely a way to do it without plugins as well. The link went nowhere, so I couldn’t look at your example. Doing the mask and stroke method, combined with a lens flare or glow repeated as a second layer could also do the trick, if I understand what you’re trying to do.

    Joe Bourke
    Owner/Creative Director
    Bourke Media
    http://www.bourkemedia.com

Page 102 of 282

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy