[Steve Connor] “why are you still spending your valuable time here and what are you getting from it?”
A question my spouse asks me every time I open the Forum. Because the X-bomb is the Edsel, the new Coke, the DVORAK keyboard, Esperanto and the Titanic all rolled up into one neat, well, messy, gory, package. Its whale guts on the beach. Not the cocktail-on-the-beach at all.
I am a colorist by perceived categorization, and like another poster, I’m mostly interested in what fresh hell (thank you, Dorothy) is going to walk in the door next. On balance, I hear things from editors like, “It made me want to gouge out my own eyes and never edit again”, but OTOH, frankly, I pretty much only use NLEs for online and mastering, and would probably have never gotten involved with Final Cut if it had not been the entree for Silicon Color’s *Final Touch*, and we all know where that has ended. And thank heavens Resolve is more ecumenical. I have an FCPX-based gig arriving one hour and twenty-seven minutes from now. We’ll see how that goes. Its a composite green-screen, so wish me luck.
I am on record from April of last year as thinking that X has some good technical underpinnings, and certainly I can see where its organizational architecture suits it for unscripted, improvisational productions. Final Cut 7, is, at least in my opinion a disaster as far as fundamental video engineering is concerned. It makes me think that Apple doesn’t know what video is, and their OS, with respect to display technology, seems to support that notion.
I spent most of yesterday at a memorial service for the sudden and unexpected departure of a treasured colleague, a truly golden-eyed cinematographer. More than anything, my point in mentioning it is the sense of community that permeated the gathering — some of us competitors, some staunch allies — but all professionals, and passionate in pursuit of doing something meaningful. Especially in the presence of an immutable truth about the transience of life.
jPo
You mean “Old Ben”? Ben Kenobi?