Forum Replies Created

Page 120 of 411
  • Darby Edelen

    January 6, 2012 at 9:01 pm in reply to: 2 x 3D anchor points to track?

    [Tudor "Ted" Jelescu] “There are quite a few posts here about this issue. Basically you use the Beam effect and expressions. Read more here:
    https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/2/965098“

    A lot of the techniques for doing this don’t take into account 3D perspective. If you want the line to appear in 3D perspective then you need to add expressions to the start and end size of the Beam effect. This is covered here:

    https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/2/945206

    That post only covers the “Ending Thickness” of the beam. For the “Starting Thickness” you’ll have to point the expression to the Null that corresponds to the start point and switch the layer variables.

    Darby Edelen

  • Darby Edelen

    January 2, 2012 at 7:35 pm in reply to: How should I render it?

    [Eliezer Cisner] “One more thing: The rendered file gets really really huge, is it supposed to be like this?”

    The size of the file will depend on its content and the length of the video. In general MPEG-2 should give you pretty small file sizes. I often deal with 32bpc HD image sequences which run around 16MB per frame so really really huge is relative 🙂

    The default MPEG-2 DVD preset uses a 5Mbps target bitrate, 7Mbps maximum and 2.8Mbps minimum. So this means you should expect a file size of about 0.625 MB per second of video.

    The maximum possible file size you should expect to see would be about 0.875 MB per second of video.

    Darby Edelen

  • Darby Edelen

    January 2, 2012 at 7:25 pm in reply to: How should I render it?

    Well, if that’s the case then… maybe MPEG-2? 🙂

    The MPEG2-DVD preset should work fine. You could increase the quality setting if you like, but I wouldn’t mess with the bitrate settings much. Some DVD players tend to drop frames if the file has a bitrate in excess of 8Mbps.

    Darby Edelen

  • Darby Edelen

    January 2, 2012 at 7:03 pm in reply to: How should I render it?

    [Eliezer Cisner] “Any reason why I shouldn’t render it as an MPEG2-DVD in the first place?”

    The AE MPEG-2 encoder is a good one, but I find it useful to have a high quality master file to use to make other encodings from.

    If you’re authoring the disc yourself it’s up to you. If there’s someone else authoring it I would provide whatever it is they prefer.

    Darby Edelen

  • Darby Edelen

    January 2, 2012 at 6:49 pm in reply to: How should I render it?

    If it’s going to be authored to a DVD for playback then you’ll need to ask whoever is authoring the DVD what format they want to receive the file in. Usually they’ll be okay receiving a Lossless or high quality file. They can encode that to MPEG-2 for DVD authoring/playback.

    Darby Edelen

  • Darby Edelen

    January 2, 2012 at 6:37 pm in reply to: After Effects Memory Usage

    [Jim Malmstrom] “This has been a nagging a question I’ve had: Is the RAM that you assign for AE’s use not available for your OS or other app’s even when you haven’t started AE, when AE is in an “unopened” state?”

    No. AE should only reserve RAM for itself when it is open. When you quit AE it should release the RAM for usage by other applications and your OS.

    Sometimes if AE crashes, or you have to force quit, the additional rendering processes used for “Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously” may remain open. You can check this in Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor on OS X, or in the Processes section of the Task Manager on Windows. If instances of “aeselflink” are still running you may want to kill them.

    Darby Edelen

  • Darby Edelen

    January 2, 2012 at 6:29 pm in reply to: Making the Background Transparent in AE 5.5?

    [Russ Blaise] “I toggled the transparency grid button like you said and the background stayed black.”

    Sounds like you have a composition sized black solid somewhere at the bottom of your layer stack.

    Darby Edelen

  • Darby Edelen

    January 2, 2012 at 6:29 pm in reply to: Making the Background Transparent in AE 5.5?

    [Michael Szalapski] “The comp’s background color has no effect on the final render.”

    This is not entirely true. The composition’s background color is the color that the alpha will be premultiplied with if you choose to render to RGB+Alpha premultiplied.

    Darby Edelen

  • Darby Edelen

    January 2, 2012 at 6:21 pm in reply to: Who turned the lights out??

    The composition’s “Draft 3D” switch is on. This is the switch with the Cube and * just to the left of the “Shy” switch.

    This disables camera Depth of Field and Lights.

    Darby Edelen

  • Darby Edelen

    December 29, 2011 at 6:57 am in reply to: Create LUT from two images

    Purely a thought exercise here, but would it be possible to draw the LUT Buddy pattern into an image and render it from AE, send that to the art director, have them make their adjustments and send that back to be read by LUT buddy?

    I’d guess there are a lot of things that would mess this up. Of course, this is all guessing since I’ve never used LUT buddy and only know what I’ve read in this thread 🙂

    Darby Edelen

Page 120 of 411

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy