Forum Replies Created
-
[Chris Harlan] “I gotta say I like that! FCP Legend.”
As in “never existed” or “exaggerated beyond anything resembling what actually happened?”
Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou -
[Richard Herd] “I refuse to use the term workaround because it’s really technique :)”
I’ve always hated the word “workaround.” If it works, it works. Because lawdy knows that plenty of “here’s the power user secret” techniques, even basic “this is how it works” techniques, are more annoying than some “workarounds.”
Besides, at this point, how many straight-line workflows are left? Just ask somebody whether intermediate format or mixed format all-native on a single timeline is the way to go, and stand back — assuming that we even mean the same thing when we say “timeline.”
If it works, it works.
Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou -
I was thinking about Macs and power. Ignoring the irony that the most successful clone that Apple killed was Power Computing, remember the “Supercomputer on a chip” campaign from 1999? Introduced by SJ at the SEYBOLD SEMINARS no less! Contemporary reporting here, which is well worth being reminded of.
Since then, they’ve offered a lot of compelling reasons to buy Macs – none of ’em power…which is GOOD. That’s not their game anymore.
Not to keep banging this drum, but the current Mac Pro supports 64GB RAM…compared to 512GB with the HP Z820. 512GB! I had to doublecheck that it wasn’t a typo. Apple might double their RAM support, but increase it by EIGHT TIMES?
Likewise slots. Z820:3 PCI Express 16, a couple of Gen 3 8s, a Gen 2 8, and a legacy PCI for a total of 7)…but you knew that. How many more slots is it likely for Apple to add? More than double? Really?
Anyway, a dozen new posts have come in since I started writing this, and I keep revising trying to catch up…but you’ve mostly caught up. 🙂
To the rest of the class, I think it’s one thing to say that you want more than iMac…which is what I think you’re saying, Herb (and others)…and one thing to say that you’d rather eat your arm than buy a PC (I read that earlier today, but forget who said it)…but it’s another thing to expect “massive computing power” from Apple relative to anything but iMacs and Apple laptops.
Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou -
Tim Wilson
May 31, 2012 at 9:09 pm in reply to: ‘nother rumor – New MacPro will come – “Reliable” supposedly[Mitch Ives] “LOL… even if someone can’t accept you’re a reliable source, if nothing else you’re consistent Tim.”
Consistent, reliable — that’s the same thing, right? LOL
Tim Wilson
Consistent, Reliable
Always right (TM) -
[Shane Ross] “Hasn’t seen ANY update in over 18 months. Approaching 2 years. Apple has never gone that long without updating hardware.”
Actually, the gap between the first two models of the Mac Pro was nearly two years: April/Aug (depending on model) of 2006 to January 2008. Admittedly some more data points since then, but nobody was talking about Apple abandoning the Mac Pro in 2006.
I’m not going to let you people trick me into saying anything nice about Apple LOL, but, I’m just sayin.
-
Tim Wilson
May 31, 2012 at 4:47 pm in reply to: Please keep Lightworks discussions on the Lightworks forum…[Clint Wardlow] “A tip — just tell stories of how hard it was in the old days.”
For the record, I AM one of those guys. I went to a college with 10,000 people in it, and there was ONE computer in the whole joint. It was deep in a basement, and only worked with punch cards. Punch something in, get your answer the next day.
Over in the video department, there were two guys who just fixed cameras and decks. All day every day. And there were just two cameras!
I bought my own razor blades because the ones in the studio were always too dull.
Old guyz rool and all that, which is why old editing systems are totally on topic.
Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou -
Tim Wilson
May 31, 2012 at 3:08 pm in reply to: Please keep Lightworks discussions on the Lightworks forum…[Robert Brown] “Can we talk about the Sony RM 440? That was the thing back in 1981.”
Only if you use it as an example to say why:
a) Everybody who loves FCPX is full of shit.
b) Everybody who hates FCPX is full of shit.
c) Old guys like me are smarter than all of you punks because we’re OLD.Anything else, take it to the Broadcasting forum.
Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou -
Tim Wilson
May 31, 2012 at 3:03 pm in reply to: ‘nother rumor – New MacPro will come – “Reliable” supposedlyReliable source? I’m a reliable source and I’ve been telling you people for months that there will be a new Mac Pro.
I can’t even imagine the amount of time and heartbreak you could all avoid if you just took my word for this.
And everything else. I am always right.
Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou -
Dude, nothing more awesome than doubling down. Except taking it to the next level.
Because “we’re really listening to our customers.”
Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou -
Tim Wilson
May 30, 2012 at 9:56 pm in reply to: Please keep Lightworks discussions on the Lightworks forum…[Erik Lundberg] “overly enthousiastic moderators”
Who? Not me man. I’m barely awake.
Just about anything related to industry topography and the variety of products and technologies that comprise the lay of the land is all fair game.
Although topology, as in the area of mathematics concerned with continuous deformation, may be okay too. Alllll about the continuous deformation here.
Tim Wilson
Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
Creative COW Magazine
Twitter: timdoubleyou