Forum Replies Created

Page 142 of 235
  • Tim Wilson

    June 1, 2012 at 5:54 pm in reply to: Apple Posts FAQ on FCPX

    [Craig Seeman] “Are they listening? After all, it’s only Apple that never listens based on what I read in this forum.”

    If I had to choose between a company with a good website who wasn’t listening to millions of people about computers…or a company with good computers who wasn’t listening to one idiot about their website….well….

    Tim Wilson
    Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

  • Tim Wilson

    June 1, 2012 at 5:18 pm in reply to: Why do you think a new Mac Pro ISN’T coming?

    [Jeremy Garchow] “Did Apple have a “I’m a Mac” MacPro commerical?

    I thought those were laptops and imacs.”

    I had to look this up. There were 66 commercials in 4 years, but I couldn’t find any of them that mentioned a specific model by name. They definitely referred to Mac computers in general, though, as well as the Mac OS vs. Windows software, especially Vista.

    But certainly, the cartoonish aspect spoke more to the iMac and MacBook sensibility, leaving us at the “supercomputer” tank commercial the last one for Mac Pros…oops, and quite cartoonish at that….

    Tim Wilson
    Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

  • Tim Wilson

    June 1, 2012 at 4:15 pm in reply to: Apple Posts FAQ on FCPX

    [David Cherniack] “Your tongue is planted firmly in cheek. I can see it, between the hair falls.”

    That’s true of every post I make. I try to add enough smilies and LOLs to indicate that I’m having fun with this, and that I am in fact a 14-year old girl.

    (See also: my essay at the COW professing my love for The Vampire Diaries called Confessions of a Teenage Girl.)

    And Jeremy, you’ve never seen me say one nice thing about HP’s website. I have in fact taken this up with them more than twice.

    Tim Wilson
    Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

  • Tim Wilson

    June 1, 2012 at 4:03 pm in reply to: Why do you think a new Mac Pro ISN’T coming?

    [Jeremy Garchow] “[Tim Wilson] “Don’t need a ringer when a leaner will do.”

    You mean build a MacPro just like it is, maybe add a thunderbolt port and the new sizzle cores?”

    Look at this thread and tell me that one just like it is with a speedbump and hole in the chassis is a leaner. It’s more like throwing a bone than a horseshoe.

    [Tim Wilson] “Is Justin Long famous?”

    Not Sam “Hot-spacho” Jackson, Zooey Deschanel, or John Malkovich famous.”

    Ah, that’s for iDevices. Apple’s not abandoning those.

    I guess that’s the true sign that Apple is abandoning the Mac Pro. Their last spokesperson for Mac was a fictitious character.

    Tim Wilson
    Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

  • Tim Wilson

    June 1, 2012 at 3:41 pm in reply to: Why do you think a new Mac Pro ISN’T coming?

    [Jeremy Garchow] “Or why it can’t support… “

    OR…why it can’t do what HP, ProMAX, Dell, etc do today, in the real world. It’s actually a pretty fixed target that I think everyone here would be ecstatic if Apple came even vaguely near. Don’t need a ringer when a leaner will do.

    (What? It’s after Memorial Day. You people don’t have your horseshoes out?)

    [Jeremy Garchow] “[Richard Herd] “Growing brand recognition=”

    Using celebrities in thier ads? Famous ones?”

    Is Justin Long famous?

    Tim Wilson
    Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

  • Tim Wilson

    June 1, 2012 at 2:03 pm in reply to: Why do you think a new Mac Pro ISN’T coming?

    [Steve Connor] “and I’ll be sad that we’ll all have to stop talking about it when the new MacPro is announced in the next couple of weeks :)”

    The coolest thing for Apple — they’ll sell an almost infinite number of these things. Mac Pro fans will hoard them like gold, or freeze-dried chicken a la king, to prepare for the coming “abandoning pros FOR REALS this time” apocalypse.

    All the while, lamenting what this machine SHOULD have been, but can never possibly be. As a result, Apple releasing the kind of Mac Pro that Apple ALWAYS releases — underspec’d in nearly every way but silver-ness and Mac OS X-ness — will be nevertheless seen as a portent of said apocalypse.

    There is always another shoe to drop.

    And if Apple doesn’t say what needs to be said in a couple of weeks, it will be raining shoes.

    If the axe has indeed already fallen, I agree with others who have said that “Apple is just selling off inventory” seems unlikely. It’s more likely that have pretty accurately gauged inertial demand, and are just making enough of them to both hide that it really HAS been EOL’d, and not leave that money on the table.

    I mean, Apple EOL’d FCP in 2009. You could even argue that they EOL’d it in 2007 (the ProRes release), and 2009 was that last patch slapped on while it was circling the drain.

    2011 is just the year they stopped SELLING it — not because they had excess inventory, but because there was no reason to leave that money on the table for all those years.

    Tim Wilson
    Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

  • Tim Wilson

    June 1, 2012 at 1:51 pm in reply to: Apple Posts FAQ on FCPX

    [Jeremy Garchow] “I actually laughed out loud.”

    To their credit, I think they did that halfway tongue in cheek.

    Maybe not. I know that people pronouncing things they way the LOOK instead of the way they’re SUPPOSED TO SAY IT drives branding people insane. Heaven forbid that they spell it the way they want it pronounced.

    The thing that struck me is that there are almost no actual answers. It actually is a list of the questions, which is pretty remarkable. “Here’s the list of questions, now go away and read the answers WHERE THEY’VE ALWAYS BEEN, YOU MORONS.”

    I mean, after each question it might as well as just said RTFW (read the f-ing website).

    My FAVORITE favorite thing is where they actually direct you to ANOTHER FAQ, which likewise is just a list of links — many of them the EXACT SAME LINKS as the page they just directed you away from.

    My theory is that this is a jingling set of car keys. “Look over here you crying babies! Shiny! Shiny!” Maybe they hope you’ll get mad enough at the FAQ that you’ll forget how mad you are about FCP ECKS.

    Tim Wilson
    Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

  • Tim Wilson

    June 1, 2012 at 12:43 am in reply to: Why do you think a new Mac Pro ISN’T coming?

    [Jeremy Garchow] “M100 blew the doors off 2010 FCP’s media management in 1999.

    Legend?”

    Harder to say as it recedes into the mists of time, but my Media 100 kept me laughing so hard at FCP that I just couldn’t imagine why anyone would put themselves through such misery.

    Of course I was laughing harder at Avid, but still. Media 100 was the best anything of anything.

    Tim Wilson
    Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

  • Tim Wilson

    June 1, 2012 at 12:18 am in reply to: Why do you think a new Mac Pro ISN’T coming?

    [Richard Herd] “Heroes of old”

    Exactly my point. Heroes of old are almost ALWAYS exaggerated or distorted. Per Wikipedia:

    “A majority of legends operate within the realm of uncertainty, never being entirely believed by the participants, but also never being resolutely doubted.”

    I also love their list of example legends. For the record, FCP would be alphabetized between “Eldorado” and “Fountain of Youth.”

    • Atlantis
    • The founding of Tenochtitlan, Aztec Capital
    • Big Foot
    • Cenodoxus, or the Damnation of the Good Doctor of Paris, told as an event justifying the sanctification of St. Bruno
    • Celtic Legends
    • El Dorado
    • Fountain of Youth
    • Helen of Troy and the Trojan War
    • King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table
    • Legends of Africa
    • Odysseus
    • Philosopher’s stone
    • Robin Hood
    • Romulus and Remus and the founding of Rome
    • Shangri-La
    • Táin Bó Flidhais
    • Vlad the Impaler; stories of his cruelty have attained legendary status, most likely spread after his death by his enemies.
    • William Tell

    I’m kidding around, but that’s why *I* found “FCP Legend” so funny. Consider me to be LOL-ing…which I actually did.

    Tim Wilson
    Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

  • Tim Wilson

    June 1, 2012 at 12:09 am in reply to: Why do you think a new Mac Pro ISN’T coming?

    [Chris Harlan] ” I say there was clearly a time they when they were strutting around to the tune of Raw Power.”

    Posts are flying faster than bullets, but I mentioned this in my post somewhere up above this. But that was 1999! Since then, it’s been all “think different” (ie, different than power LOL) or “I’m a PC” vs. “I’m Drew Barrymore’s boyfriend.”

    BTW, here’s Apple’s 1999 Supercomputer commercial:

    Some contents or functionalities here are not available due to your cookie preferences!

    This happens because the functionality/content marked as “Google Youtube” uses cookies that you choosed to keep disabled. In order to view this content or use this functionality, please enable cookies: click here to open your cookie preferences.

    Tim Wilson
    Associate Publisher, Editor-in-Chief
    Creative COW Magazine
    Twitter: timdoubleyou

Page 142 of 235

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy