Forum Replies Created

Page 928 of 1040
  • Craig Seeman

    July 28, 2008 at 11:54 am in reply to: mac laptop for ex1 on the road

    ClipBrowser will not run on PPC chip used in iBook. You need an Intel processor for that.

    You can use the XDCAM transfer tool though. You should update it to the latest version 2.7. You’ll also need at least Final Cut Pro 6.0.2 and Quicktime 7.3.1

    I’d suggest you consider getting a MacBookPro. It’s ExpressCard Slot makes inputing fast and easy.

  • Craig Seeman

    July 27, 2008 at 3:29 pm in reply to: EX1 better for green screen?

    [ryan brown] “but I’m still a bit unsure of what I’m losing with 4:2:0 and ex1 overall to hvx…is the trade of inaccurate editing due to gob editing, lack of color space, jittery footage do to cmos(rolling shutter)…please let me know”

    I have no problem editing GOP in Final Cut Pro. Most modern NLEs and reasonably fast computers can handle it. People have been using HDV, also GOP for a while now. In FCP you can set renders to Apple Pro Res when using HDV or XDCAM which eliminates the “re-conform” renders (rebuilding the GOP structure).

    As you can see by the keying examples above 4:2:0, in the context of high pixel density, works well. There are so many examples of how it holds in in color correction that it’s not worth posting. Certainly 4:2:2 can have advantages and even Sony now has XDCAM HD 4:2:2 but in most uses you won’t see a difference.

    It’s fairly hard to induce CMOS rolling shutter issues in most uses. I can see it when shooting near a photo flash . . . but shooting fireworks look just fine. If you’re following the action in a fast sport you might see some bending in the background. If you kick the tripod you might see jiggle. As to photo flash and tracking a fast moving subject, it looks different but doesn’t bother my clients at all. Kicking the tripod doesn’t look good with any chip. These are very modest tradeoffs for what you get with this camera.

    In short:

    I much prefer 1/2″ chip, 1920×1080 that 1/3″ 960×540.

    I like being able to record nearly an hour on 16GB SxS card due to GOP compared to P2 DVCProHD. That’s important when you want to keep “running when you’re gunning.”

    I prefer the 4x and faster transfers of SxS compared to P2 which also keeps you “running when you’re gunning.”

    I like being able to use 1080p30 and getting the max resolution and maintaining the efficient file size afforded by XDCAM EX HD compared to the HVX need to use 720p24n DVCProHD to get max record time on the P2 cards.

    I like the manual (non servo) lens control on the EX1.

    I like the low light performance of the EX1 (which can certainly be important in some run and gun situations).

    HVX records DV to tape. 2 things (DV, tape) I hope never to do again.
    HVX records DVCPro50 to P2. That’s actually very nice if you need it but HD is the future that’s very nearly present. In my area even the local news stations are moving to HD.

  • Craig Seeman

    July 26, 2008 at 10:55 pm in reply to: EX1 better for green screen?

    The “Hawaii Goes Fishing” clip I posted the link to before is Dean’s. Shot with EX1.

  • Craig Seeman

    July 26, 2008 at 10:28 pm in reply to: Guidance Needed

    XDCAM 35MB/s files are only about 30% bigger than DV files. If that 30% is going to make a big difference it would make more sense to me to buy more hard drives then loosing the option of using HD source in SD or editing in HD for futureproof and downconverting to SD. In fact if you use a “good” SD codec (8 bit uncompressed or ProRes for example) those files are going to be bigger than XDCAM.

  • Craig Seeman

    July 26, 2008 at 7:48 pm in reply to: Guidance Needed

    [Steve Cohen] “Not sure if I want to edit in HD and then output to SD (haven’t done this yet) or down convert to SD during Digitizing. “

    I wouldn’t downconvert to SD on import unless you have a specific reason to.

    You can edit in HD and downcovert. Then you’ll have the HD edit also done for future proofing.

    You can use the HD source in an SD timeline and that would give you options to pan and zoom without any lose of resolution.

    I think Don touches on the workflow but I’d thought I’d explain advantages of editing HD in an SD timeline rather than downconverting first.

  • Craig Seeman

    July 26, 2008 at 7:41 pm in reply to: Guidance Needed

    ClipBrowser 2.0 only works with EX .MP4 source

    I can export to Standard Def DV and DV.AVI. It also exports to “MXF NLE.”
    Everything else is watermarked (although I can’t confirm Avid AAF.

    XDCAM Transfer 2.7 also works with MXF files. You can import into FCP and export as IMX or DV. Both with MXF extension using File/Export/Sony XDCAM. For export make sure the sequence settings are mono and set to the correct number of audio tracks to create the file.

  • Craig Seeman

    July 26, 2008 at 3:57 am in reply to: correct output for WMVHD encode

    Flip4Mac Studio Pro HD or Telestream Episode would give you the ability to do this on Mac.

    You can create an AVI with MPEGStreamclip but I haven’t tested the results in WME on Windows.

  • Craig Seeman

    July 26, 2008 at 2:05 am in reply to: Transferring footage back to EX1?

    I don’t think you’ll find documentation on something a camera isn’t intended to do. It’s been discussed in various forums though.

    I know some would want to go back to the camera and then use the HD-SDI out but the camera simply wasn’t meant to do that.

    There are other workflows which range from transferring to optical disk or hard drive and taking it to a dub house or buying the soon to be available EX deck mentioned about.

    Why not buy a good video out card?

  • Craig Seeman

    July 26, 2008 at 2:01 am in reply to: EX1 better for green screen?

    And this is the point Juan Martinez was trying to make if you read the link to his post although he didn’t want to mention the “competition” directly. Basically since the samples are very close together in the EX1 MEPG2 Long GOP 4:2:0 due to the number of pixels, you’re not going to see the issues with the edge. I should mention if you are shooting interlace, given you’re only seeing half the lines at any moment, you might see it there but if you shoot progressive at 1920×1080 you’re going to have a tough time seeing it. I think that was part of the reasoning in comparing the EX1 to Red. The posts that go with that shot state that Red1 is definitely better but people were surprised how well the EX1 held up against it.

    The way I understand it in short form
    EX1 Progressive is competitive (some would say better) than the HVX.
    EX1 Interlace and the HVX will likely look better.
    EX1 HD-SDI 4:2:2 Uncompressed is spectacular.

  • Craig Seeman

    July 26, 2008 at 12:03 am in reply to: EX1 better for green screen?

    I suspect Noah’s post was a bit confusing (I’m sure hell jump in and correct otherwise).

    Comparing the EX to the HVX200 specifically, the EX1 chips are much bigger and 1920×1080 which is 960×540.

    BTW have a look at girl keyed this example on the web. Granted compressed for web but worth a look anyway
    https://www.hawaiigoesfishing.com/videos/green_screen_sample.mov

    Here’s Juan Martinez’s comments on the COW.
    https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/142/856535

    Here’s an interesting RED vs EX1 Green Screen Test
    https://ftp.datausa.com/imageshoppe/outgoing/EX1/EX1_VRS_RED_bluescreen_5200k.mov
    RED is on the left. EX1 on the right.

    additional EX1 green screen examples
    before
    https://www.vimeo.com/1274572
    after
    https://www.vimeo.com/1274696
    Note you can download the original source (although still compressed.

    This too
    https://www.vimeo.com/1367862

    Just thought I’d give you a lot to chew on.

    Some contents or functionalities here are not available due to your cookie preferences!

    This happens because the functionality/content marked as “Vimeo framework” uses cookies that you choosed to keep disabled. In order to view this content or use this functionality, please enable cookies: click here to open your cookie preferences.

Page 928 of 1040

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy