Forum Replies Created

Page 119 of 1040
  • Craig Seeman

    February 27, 2014 at 6:39 pm in reply to: The Street – Why Avid (AVID) Is Falling Today

    Or to put it simply, even when Media Composer/Symphony sales are UP they continue to LOSE money because they make significantly more from hardware.

    video editing unit sales were up by more than 30%
    yet
    overall the revenue from these sales was 30% lower than the same period a year ago due to lower hardware sales.

    That shows a huge disparity over what’s selling (software) and what they need to sell to increase revenue (hardware).

  • Craig Seeman

    February 27, 2014 at 6:34 pm in reply to: The Street – Why Avid (AVID) Is Falling Today

    This also is an indicator.

    https://blog.devoncroft.com/2012/04/27/avid-revenue-drops-nine-percent-in-q1-2012-due-to-weakness-in-consumer-business/

    Video revenue in the quarter was $84m, down 11% versus the same period a year ago, and down 28% versus the previous quarter. Video revenue accounted for 55% of the total revenue during the quarter, versus 63% last quarter. Although service revenue was strong in video, Avid had a 20% decline in video product sales versus last year. In the pro video market, overall video editing unit sales were up by more than 30% versus last year, but because of a larger percentage of software sales, the overall the revenue from these sales was 30% lower than the same period a year ago due to lower hardware sales. Shared storage and workflow systems were strong in the quarter, growing 8% versus last year.

  • Craig Seeman

    February 27, 2014 at 6:30 pm in reply to: The Street – Why Avid (AVID) Is Falling Today

    Granted it may take a little extrapolation but these are the numbers that I believe Philip Hodgetts used when he wrote about the subject.

    https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/896841/000089684112000013/avid-12312011x10k.htm

  • Craig Seeman

    February 27, 2014 at 5:31 pm in reply to: The Street – Why Avid (AVID) Is Falling Today

    [David McLasty] “I’m not bashing Avid, I own a Symphony 6 system. But They are getting slaughtered by Adobe and Apple with their pricing model, Premiere with their mercury playback is very, very good.”

    The problem is that Avid isn’t a software company. Most of their revenue is hardware… and that’s not doing as well as it should.

    I mentioned elsewhere that Avid really needs to commit R&D for better Isis integration with other NLEs, IMHO. Every facility that goes Adobe is a facility that isn’t going Isis.

  • Craig Seeman

    February 26, 2014 at 4:26 pm in reply to: The Street – Why Avid (AVID) Is Falling Today

    [Franz Bieberkopf] “Do you know where they are getting these numbers from?”

    Very good question. I wonder if Avid said something informally in advance of their investor “webcast” apparently released today.

  • Craig Seeman

    February 26, 2014 at 4:22 pm in reply to: Avid delisted from NASDAQ

    [Ben Mullins] “but for a company that can balance it’s books so well (at least it’s cash-flow) you’d think they’d have the resources to develop MC a little more rapidly. I guess MC isn’t their top priority.”

    Started a new thread because there seems to be some new issue on cash flow and income (not good) being reported. I consider that a separate issue worth discussing.

  • Craig Seeman

    February 26, 2014 at 3:03 am in reply to: Mavs 10.9.2 released

    After talking to Apple my hunch (and their’s) is that this might be happening at a low level OS (Unix) function. Two Unix functions followed by Foundation and ProKit are the clues.

    I’ll be creating a partition with only 10.9.2 and Compressor 4.1.1 and possibly the rest of the ProApps. This is to see if it crashes and what the log looks like.

    I don’t think this is a general Compressor 4.1.1 OS 10.9.2 issue since I have another system at that point and it doesn’t have this issue.

    Looks like I’ll be spending more time on the phone with them tomorrow.

  • Craig Seeman

    February 26, 2014 at 12:23 am in reply to: Mavs 10.9.2 released

    [Charlie Austin] “Realizing it’s a giant PITA, have you tried an OS reinstall?”

    Just finished and…. boom crash same as it ever was.

    Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
    0 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x99810643 __mtx_droplock + 488
    1 libsystem_pthread.dylib 0x99810af9 pthread_mutex_unlock + 83
    2 com.apple.Foundation 0x93288ed3 -[NSLock unlock] + 262
    3 com.apple.Foundation 0x9328f6d1 +[NSBundle bundleForClass:] + 779
    4 com.apple.prokit 0x47795c67 +[NSObject(ProAdditions) isDefinedInBundleForClass:] + 150
    5 com.apple.prokit 0x47795cbd +[NSObject(ProAdditions) isProSubclass] + 62
    6 com.apple.prokit 0x4781aea7 -[NSCell(ProAppearanceExtensions) proSetFont:] + 54
    7 com.apple.prokit 0x4781af46 -[NSCell(ProAppearanceExtensions) proSetFont:] + 213

  • Craig Seeman

    February 25, 2014 at 10:57 pm in reply to: Mavs 10.9.2 released

    Sounds much like my Create New Settings crash.
    Crash log though isn’t pointing to Matrox device (which I do have installed, MXO2 and MAX as well) though.
    It’s not a user preferences issue since the crash still happens when creating a New User Admin account.
    Compressor Repair and FCS Remover (removing Compressor 4) and reinstall didn’t fix it either.
    It looks system OS level. Crash log points to ProKit or CoreFoundation.

  • Craig Seeman

    February 25, 2014 at 7:46 pm in reply to: Mavs 10.9.2 released

    I’ve had odd issues that I don’t think are QMaster related. One system displayed a blank window. I tossed all support items and it rebuilt. I have another system which works unless I try to create a new custom setting. It crashes. Crash log seems to point to ProApps so I have to dig through that and start tossing stuff as well.

Page 119 of 1040

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy