Charlie Austin
Forum Replies Created
-
[Marcus Moore] “I only disagree that visual organization is unimportant in the Timeline.”
I’m with you. And while I agree with Bill that it one does need to kind of “get it” I also feel it’s a work in progress, It’s not done. And while it is awesome to move *clusters*, sometimes it becomes a cluster*** … such as when you want to move a cluster, but exclude one thing, like a bit of MX that’s part of a larger whole. The ~key is great, now we need a “reverse~” key… keep connections on except for this one thing… *That’s* where beefing up Roles comes in. Spatial grouping of Roles is a necessary enhancement, and Apple Know it. However, it ain’t easy what with multichannel components in clips, with differing Roles. What group does it go in? DIA or FX,? ‘cuz it has both. Maybe user defined groups? That’d be nice. Maybe… who knows? I’m excited to see what they come up with! 🙂
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Lance Bachelder] “they’re just plain stupid and actually more work than tracks and busses.”
No, they’re really not.
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Mark Dobson] “Go on, who’s going to try it out with FCPX ?”
Well, I did. It uh… needs some work i think. I mean, everything came over, but this:
Became this: (screenshot sfter 1 deleted about 40 of the upper tracks (from a 6 ch master)
To be fair, it’s taken the x2pro guys and the Xto7 guys a while to deal with Roles and multitrack sources, so I’m sure it’ll get better… 🙂
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Helge Tjelta] “xtoProtools is still valid!”
I would not be at all surprised to see X2Pro morph into something that does more than just audio. Kind of an Auto Duck for FCP X. Take a look at Marquis’ other products… Also, If you need something like this (AVID compatible AAF’s etc) go to the X2Pro site and request it!. I did. 🙂
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Marcus Moore] “I maintain Roles will be the organizational force on the FCPX side. All overlapping lanes in a Role would be a Stack Track, wouldn’t it?”
I think you’re right. Taking it a step further, speculatively, Maybe they’ll bring Stack Track-like functionality to Roles in FCPX. IOW , Roles would stick together where possible and work as sort of “invisible” Compound Clips? That would be awesome, but it gets a little complicated when you’ve got a multichannel source with multiple embedded Roles. If only one Role is enabled, great, but if you’ve got, say, DIA and FX components enabled in a clip, which group does it live in? Also, this would only work with audio only connected clips… Who knows… gonna be an interesting update whenever it appears…
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
Charlie Austin
July 15, 2013 at 8:01 pm in reply to: Best way to organize FCPX Porjects and create the master project? – editing a documentary[Craig Alan] “I stand corrected you can organize in the finder. Good link here:
“You definitely can move things in the Finder, but as Larry says, you need to quit FCP first, and you have to be very careful where you put things and how you create Folder “trees”. If your geek level isn’t high, it’s best to do it in the app. 🙂
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Philip Fass] “Which is more likely to bog down FCP X:”
I’d say 2. I often have tons of projects open, but on;y a couple events. Don’t see much, if any, bogging down…
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
Charlie Austin
July 14, 2013 at 5:55 am in reply to: Best way to organize FCPX Porjects and create the master project? – editing a documentary[Esther Casas] “- Then I am thinking to create a new folder with my new projects inside the “FCPX project” folder: do you have to quit FCPX in order to do that, right? tried today and it asked me to quit when i created a new folder and moves a project inside (FCPX was open). I guess when you create all these new projects you have to quit and then organize them into new folders, then when you open FCPX again, it will locate them easily, right?”
Eek! Do that in the FCPX project library. No quitting required. Just right click the drive on which your projects are located, choose new folder. Name it, do whatever you want. You can create subfolders etc, and it’ll make ’em all for you. You shouldn’t need to (meaning you shouldn’t) do anything in the Finder. 🙂
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Brett Sherman] “With my backup system, it really F’s it up using the Event Manager X because events and projects can be in two separate locations.”
Gotcha, I’m using the “Backups” app (works great btw) which sees the hidden folders as well, so that’s not an issue for me…
[Brett Sherman] “My last project used about 50 events. It just would take a long time with Event Manager to figure it all out.”
:-0 Yeah, I can see how that would be a nightmare. I try to have as few Events as possible for each job. FWIW you can set up “sets” now in event Manager to make this scenario a little more uh… manageable. I don’t know how having an event manager style interface in the app would be any better though, unless they make it so you don’t need to quit/restart when you load and unload Events/Projects. Guess we’ll see what’s in store soon enough. 😉
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Brett Sherman] “Honestly, I’d be a happy camper if they added 3 things:
1) Robust, collaborative workflow, so two people can open the same event at the same time with better network support.”
Agreed
[Brett Sherman] “2) The ability to activate or deactivate events and projects so they don’t have to all load.”
I know it’s a 3rd party app, but Event Manager X is awesome here. Very powerful, and since X opens really fast, it’s not a big deal to me to have it quit and restart if I need to change a set. Best $5 I ever spent. 🙂
[Brett Sherman] “3) Better media management so you can consolidate a project.”
Yes. 🙂
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~

