Charlie Austin
Forum Replies Created
-
[Steve Connor] “Forget the GPU, how about custom cases?”
lol… I look forward to all the goofy ass case replacements that will surely appear as soon as it’s out. 🙂 R2 D2 anyone?
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Ronny Courtens] “- An extra audio track (yes, a track) that is not connected to the Storyline”
Actually, it’s not a track really, it’s more like a hidden secondary, always in position mode, permanently connected to the first frame of the timeline. (if you drag a clip out of that region it becomes a connected clip, just as it would in an X secondary) …I guess it is kind of a track huh? lol Who knows if that’ll show up in X for the next release, or ever, but it’s a cool idea… So, if it were to appear, obviously with more control, then at some point you could cut in the X timeline with any combination of:
Magnetism
Fixed “tracks”
Ripple Mode (MC Style)
“Free” mode (FCP 7/Pr)
Maybe a Role based “Z-Order” sorting (no hints of this, but I know a lot of folks want it)
Connections or disabled connectionsAnything else? Seems to me like the best of, uh… everything.
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
FWIW, In some interviews I’ve read, they say when they wrote X they took some concepts from the old iMovie, but the code and workflow etc was completely different. AV Foundation (X) vs Quicktime (iMovie)
However, after playing with iMovie for a couple hours, it seems like the opposite is true now, and the new iMovie is kind of based on FCP X. Open it it up and mess with it a bit and you’ll see what I mean. It looks similar, but it’s a *lot* different than the previous version. Also, the “Trailer” templates are actually really cool. If I could get XML out I’d just use those at work. LOL (I’m only half kidding….)
So… FCPX isn’t “iMovie Pro” at all, but maybe iMovie is now FCPX Lite. 🙂
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
Charlie Austin
October 24, 2013 at 9:14 pm in reply to: Is it possible to split clips with the Range Selection tool?[Dustin Bowser] “What I’d like to be able to do is use the Range Selection tool to quickly select a range on one of these clips, and Split the clip where the range is, so I can then quickly enable/disable that section. I know that you can Select a Range and have it trim the clip so that what’s outside of the range gets cut away, but is it possible to leave everything as it is and just have it split?”
Don’t know if this helps, but you can select a range and replace it with gap (which just deletes the range if it’s connected) If you want to leave the range intact it’s probably not what you want to do… As a workaround, If you want to leave it, you can select the range, copy it, delete it (replace it with gap or FWD delete key) and then paste it back into the space. (make sure to snap the playhead to the first frame of the gap just created before you paste it back) So… around 3 quick keystrokes, but not too bad?
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
As Bill said, it appears you are working in compound clips. While they act the same as projects, they are not the same at all. The “reference new parent clip” command will create a new, independent compound clip that will solve the specific problem you have now. But, if you are indeed cutting your sequences in CC’s (to avoid the project library or something) I’d suggest not doing that, despite the recommendation to do so from some folks. You can convert CC’s to projects by:
Creating a new project
Cutting the CC from the event into the project
selecting it and choosing “Break Apart Clip Items” (clip menu or SHFT-CMD-G)CC’s are great, but were never intended to be used the way some folks are using them, which may or may not be your situation. I’d also refer to the manual’s explanation of how they work so it’ll maybe make more sense than I (or Bill) have. 😉
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
[Warren Eig] “FCP 7.0.3?”
Works fine…
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
Charlie Austin
October 22, 2013 at 1:38 am in reply to: FCPX can mount SAN locations – on a NAS. No sparse disk required.[John Davidson] “Sort of. I just drag/dropped a file to the ‘original media’ folder within the event folder via Finder. It didn’t instantly show up in FCPX. I removed san, then re-added san, and the file was in FCPX without having to directly import it via the program.”
That’s pretty cool… So, on one workstation, you have the “master” NAS volume mounted as well as the SAN Location/Folder on that volume?
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
Charlie Austin
October 22, 2013 at 1:26 am in reply to: FCPX can mount SAN locations – on a NAS. No sparse disk required.[John Davidson] “Apparently you can create SAN folders on a NAS, FREE with NFS.”
Do those SAN locations show up as normal folders on the NAS Volume? So if I have the entire volume mounted, would I see the SAN Location (folder)? And if so, and if another user has it mounted, could I put a file in there that that user would then have access to? Like giving them some graphics or something…
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
Charlie Austin
October 22, 2013 at 1:20 am in reply to: Title slate from my latest FCP-X home movie![Chris Harlan] “Undastood.”
lol
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~ -
Charlie Austin
October 22, 2013 at 12:56 am in reply to: Title slate from my latest FCP-X home movie![Chris Harlan] “[Charlie Austin] “Still fond of a hearty GFY! though. 🙂 I suppose that’s universal now… ;-)”
It is. But it does lose some of the magic without the accent.”
You gawt that right f*ckface!
Note: F*ckface is a traditional Bostonian term of endearment! 😉
————————————————————-
~”It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools.”~
~”The function you just attempted is not yet implemented”~