Forum Replies Created

Page 592 of 699
  • Bret Williams

    March 10, 2007 at 3:47 pm in reply to: FCP5.0 and P2 File Import

    I’ve heard that P2 import pre- 5.1 has a few issues. I’ve never had problems but it’s always been with 5.1x.

  • Bret Williams

    March 8, 2007 at 10:48 pm in reply to: Would the real outpoint please stand up

    There is no function to jump to the last frame. Maybe that’s the problem people are having. Avid has one, but FCP only has a function to jump to the next edit, which is the first frame. If that is used as an outpoint, it will cover that frame as should be expected.

    On avid I had the tab key set to jump to the last AND first frame. So, unlike the up/down arrows, my tab function jumped to the last frame of a clip, then the next press of the tab key moved one frame forward to the beginning of the next clip. FCP only jumps from beginning to beginning to beginning , etc. So if you want to mark clips this way, of course you have to back up one frame.

  • Bret Williams

    March 8, 2007 at 10:35 pm in reply to: Would the real outpoint please stand up

    Sorry Walter. It absolutely does not. Never has. I’ve never seen this behaviour. How exactly are you marking the hole? Every way I mark it it ends up being 5:00. I edit a clip in, the clip is 5:00. Where are you marking the out point? Are you marking it on the beginning of the next clip? That’s not the way the viewer works and it’s not the way the sequence works.

    I understand people’s argument that the outpoint should be excluded, not included, but at least it’s consistent across the board.

    I can not replicate your test.

  • Bret Williams

    March 8, 2007 at 4:42 pm in reply to: Importing via Sreamclip

    Unless of course you’re editing in DV as he is and don’t want to rerender you uncompressed clip as dv yet again in the timeline.

  • Bret Williams

    March 8, 2007 at 4:40 pm in reply to: Would the real outpoint please stand up

    That’s not what he’s saying. He’s pointing out another issue. When you’re parked on a frame, and press +500 to go ahead and add 5sec to a selection, many people forget that they are already on a selection of the first frame. Can’t make a 0 frame selection. So you now add 5sec to that and you’ve got a duration of 5sec and 1 frame. You can either type +4.29 or type +5. and back up one frame to get a total duration of 5sec in the edit.

    Linear edit systems are exclusive for out points. Non-linears systems are inclusive. Perhaps they should called start and end points. Or first and last points.

    When we were kids, and we’d have a race, we’d say “on the count of 3… 1..2..3..” and there’d always be some that ran on “3” and others that took off on the beat after 3. 🙂

  • Bret Williams

    March 8, 2007 at 4:31 pm in reply to: Would the real outpoint please stand up

    Sorry, I’m with MattyC. It works completely logical and as I expect. Works same way on Avid. I’ve never understood the debate. I guess if it works the way we expect the other argument just doesn’t make any sense. Even though I can see where some have trouble, we really can’t change the way people interpret things. Even if you learn the way FCP sees it, it will always seem like an error. But perhaps it is an error in their thinking and I just happen to think incorrectly as well. Works for me. 🙂

  • Bret Williams

    March 7, 2007 at 8:24 pm in reply to: more “universal” file format out of FCP?

    Yeah, I use Sorensen 3 on client sites all the time. Never had anyone not have the right qt for that. IF they don’t, they’re NOT your audience because there’s nothing on the web they can view. Sorensen 3 looks great if you know what you’re doing.

    And guess what. Pretty much any of these codecs look roughly the same at 500kbps or more. (320×240) it’s when you are trying to do something silly like 300 (why do that?) or less with full stereo audio at 30 fps that they look junky. That may be a lot of folks issue. Are people trying to do 30fps? With 500kbps 15fps 320×240 just about anything looks good. And there’s no download delay either. I don’t wait for videos and I don’t expect anyone else to wait either. If it doesn’t start within 1 or 2 seconds, I’m gone.

  • Bret Williams

    March 7, 2007 at 8:18 pm in reply to: Graphic with alpha channel issues

    [JeremyG] “the original poster turned his alpha to black”

    That alone is a very bizarre statement. What does that mean? An alpha is a greyscale image signifying which area is transparent. Do you mean he premultiplied it with black? Yes, that is the only type of premultiplied that most apps support. Some in the past used white. But, when the inferior premultiplied method doesn’t work right, you’d get a white fringe which is even nasier than a black fringe.

    He does practically say that straight is superior EXCEPT that premultiplied renders faster (out of AE) and doesn’t scare clients. However, straight has no issues of potential black fringe. Premultiplied does.

    Did we watch the same video?

  • Bret Williams

    March 7, 2007 at 8:12 pm in reply to: Faster Time code generation

    I wouldn’t have guessed in a million years you were talking about visual TC. They need to send you something other than h.264. You can’t effectively use that in FCP. TC generator is a fully real time effect, so if you were using a different codec, that supports real time, then you could at least render in rt or faster.

    Does ProTools not display the actual tc of the clip? If so, just use my previously mentioned method. Although I’m not sure h.264 supports that either.

  • Bret Williams

    March 7, 2007 at 7:31 pm in reply to: Faster Time code generation

    I’m a little confused by the “add qt to the sequence” comment. Are you trying to add qt to a file and then export it from the sequence? No need. In fact, I’m not sure how you would do that.

    If you have a clip that has no TC (starts at 00:00:00:00) you can simply highlight it in the bin and choose the menu item modify>timecode. You’ll get a warning that modifying the tc is going to change the ACTUAL clip on the drive. But hey, that’s what you want. Change the starting tc to whatever you need. It’s instantaneous.

    BTW – video folks don’t say “bounce” – I guess we say export, composite, or render. But no need for that in this situation. Just change the tc. You might even be able to do this in QT Pro.

Page 592 of 699

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy