Forum Replies Created

Page 120 of 699
  • Round here freelance is definitely synonymous with independent contractor. I’ve never heard of taxes being withheld for a freelancer and honestly it’d tick me off. You have to be an employee to have taxes withheld. If you’re freelance you don’t know where your next gig is coming from and being liquid is more important than withholding taxes. I see no reason to give the U.S. government an interest free loan of MY money before there has been any determination that I owe them a dime.

    I have seen a few companies require that their freelancers work through an agency. Usually these are companies that got in legal trouble for treating contractors as employees. They’d give them a desk, and have them come in at 9 for whatever work they had for them. The only difference between them and employees is they would track their hours for different projects and invoicing. Now they make them go through an agency of which they are a temp employee. They can opt in to crappy benefits through the agency. But this sort of thing isn’t the norm at all. And we call freelancers that are pretty much showing up every day perma-lancers. Still contractors.

  • Just out of college I traveled a few hours to interview for a gig at a small town TV news station. 1993. They said stuff like fast paced and deadline driven. They made me take a sort of creative writing test as I’d likely have write, edit and produce small news stories. 16,000yr. BUT, they said the cost of living was low!

  • Bret Williams

    May 5, 2015 at 12:43 pm in reply to: Prayers from the Church of X

    It took 10 years for Sympony. The G4, and then G5 (fastest computer at the time for a moment and was being installed in hordes as a supercomputer, etc) weren’t enough? I think it was the switch to Intel that made it a little easier and the fact that Apple had made quite a market comeback. Had that not happened Adobe and Avid would have likely written another version of history.

  • Bret Williams

    May 5, 2015 at 12:27 pm in reply to: Prayers from the Church of X

    And your last sentence makes my point exactly. ALL the software companies make choices and change course based on market demand. People were screaming bloody murder when X came out. Myself included. But legacy still worked fine. And I’m sure that dude using Premiere was PO’d when PPro came out as PC only. If that Hitler meme was around back then I’d sure he would have been quite agitated.

    I wasn’t using Premiere when they dropped the Mac, but AS a PS, AI, AE user at the time it was startling. Two years earlier Avid had started releasing PC only Products like symphony which were a big deal. Apple’s future was up in the air and to me, it looked like maybe I needed to start investing in PC. The hardware was faster, Adobe and Avid were FULLY commited to it (whatever rumored reasons aside doesn’t matter) and other companies like Macromedia seemed to be in the same boat. Being an Apple user was different then. It was generally accepted that PCs were cheaper and just fine for every day use and gaming, but that Apple was better for graphics work. So when Adobe starts to drop the ball on its new product at the time, and Avid was currently limiting it’s Apple offerings then where would that leave Apple? You can say Adobe was commited to getting back cross platform, but had Apple continued downhill and not been resurrected by iPods and iPhones I truly doubt Adobe or Avid would have made it much of a priority. They came back because the demand was there. Same reason they beefed up their efforts when Apple dropped the ball with X. The was opportunity and demand.

  • Bret Williams

    May 5, 2015 at 4:22 am in reply to: Prayers from the Church of X

    Lets not forget Adobe ditched the Mac platform for Premiere for years. And Avid in late 90s dropped their higher end systems like Symphony from the Mac, and was rumored to be dropping composer. Until suddenly they got wind of Apple coming out with FCP 1.x and their story changed.

  • Bret Williams

    May 5, 2015 at 4:16 am in reply to: Prayers from the Church of X

    Motion round tripping is so simple. Export XML out of X to older non-yosemite computer across the room. Use Xto7 to translate FCPXML to XML that FCP 7 can open. Open in FCP 7, do any cleaning up necessary. Curse the fact that you had to open FCP 7 and it’s freaking out because it doesn’t know any of the camera formats and this is possibly a dead end. But if not, select the whole timeline and send to motion project, which will be Motion 4. You don’t really need to open Motion 4. Save that motion 4 project back to the FCP X computer. Open in Motion 5. Whew! I mean… easy!

  • Bret Williams

    May 4, 2015 at 12:51 pm in reply to: Prayers from the Church of X

    They could borrow all the functionality from Motion. I wish Motion would allow you to open a “group” in its own timeline. And by the same means, it’d e great if AE could open a precomp like a group in the same timeline.

    How is it Avid is still the only one doing it both ways and has been since, always? At least 1997 when I first used it.

  • A $3000 retina iMac completely maxed out with $250 of crucial 32mb ram should smoke the 2010 Mac pro even with a souped up graphics card because the processors and mother board don’t have h264 hardware acceleration and some other piece of tech I forget the name of (grand central?) that are both utilized by FCP X. Plus you get a 27″ retina display built in!

    I may have convinced myself to go buy one right now….

  • Highlight the clips and press the right arrow.

  • Bret Williams

    May 2, 2015 at 8:39 pm in reply to: Prayers from the Church of X

    I registered finalcutproclassic.com when X came out, but damned if everyone didn’t call it legacy in the end.

Page 120 of 699

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy