Forum Replies Created

Page 110 of 699
  • In complete seriousness, the doubling of the cost of my family health insurance recently costs more than my gear and software. My health insurance went up $4,800 this year. I don’t spend near that on video gear per year!

  • Seems a bit on the high side to me. But like has been said every genre and locale is different. But at that hourly rate for an NLE suite, seems like you could buy a new suite every week. When the computer is 3k, the raid is 3k, the monitor is about 3k, and software is negligible cost at all. Rent is your biggest cost.

    In the 90s, when an edit suite cost closer to $50,000-100,000, our facility was getting $150hr Max and I was on staff so that included the editor. The big facilities were getting $300-400hr but they had digibeta instead of betasp.

    In my market, Atlanta, I’ve seen freelance rates rise while the cost of the suite drop.

    I don’t know what gear you have but if it’s so awesome that the gear is 120/hr, it seems like you should have editors that are getting higher rates in the $75/hr range instead of the $50/hr range. For example if you’re running a resolve full priced color correction console suite I’d expect the specialist running that to earn over $100/hr.

    Currently, my suite is in the basement of my house so it’s a write-off. I sorta work it into the rate. I used to charge a lesser rate for working at someone else’s facility, but I found that put me in competition with myself. So I just have one rate now. Heck, nowadays I feel I should charge more to sit in traffic and have to deal with someone else’s equipment.

  • CBR not VBR – unless you need to cram as much as possible onto a DVD.

  • Bret Williams

    June 30, 2015 at 3:38 am in reply to: Interesting new tool “FCPXTRA”

    I guess so, because googling fcpxtra doesn’t give that result in the first 4 or 5 pages of results. I gave up after that. Does fcpxtra.com work for you?

    Thanks for the link!

  • Bret Williams

    June 29, 2015 at 8:08 pm in reply to: Interesting new tool “FCPXTRA”

    There’s no googling about it. The domain isn’t available here. Googling FCPXTRA.com brings up their site that says opening soon, however only a cache is available. If you click on googles link, I get the charter (my ISP) no such domain page. Which probably means they’ve changed their name servers and it just hasn’t trickled down yet.

  • Promise Pegasus is pretty much still the standard isn’t it? Of course comes with it’s own raid utility.

  • Bret Williams

    June 29, 2015 at 5:10 pm in reply to: Interesting new tool “FCPXTRA”

    Odd. Site seems to have vanished. it’s awol via my IP. Could be so new they’re updating name servers or something.

  • Bret Williams

    June 26, 2015 at 2:01 pm in reply to: Exporting Sound From FCPX to Protools

    Can you post a shot from FCP 7 as well?

  • Yes. Drag a dissolve to the end of the clip. Or highlight the end of the clip and press cmd t. What have you tried so far? It pretty much works exactly like 7.

  • You could also draw a mask exactly the size of the canvas, and then simply scale it down proportionately. Or draw a mask that’s 4 squares by 3 squares And scale that proportionately.

Page 110 of 699

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy