Bob Zelin
Forum Replies Created
-
Bob Zelin
October 8, 2006 at 12:21 am in reply to: Sony Z1 Footage and AJA KONA 3? Best way to capture and edit within FCP 5.0.4?If you have a Kona LH or LHe, you can take the HD Out Y, Pb Pr off the side of your Sony HVRM
VTR, and capture right into the Kona card, any compression format you like. That’s not hard. And if you have the Kona 2 or Kona 3, get the AJA HD10A or HD10AVA, and convert the analog HD to HD-SDI, and capture right into the Kona, at any compression ratio you like. That’s not hard either. But don’t ask me about capturing via firewire – not if you are a Kona owner !bob Zelin
-
If you are using good quality COAX cable (video cable), you should have no problems. If you insist on using audio cable, convert the signal to AES/EBU (with a Flying Cow, etc.), and you can run up to 100′. Over 100′, you need 110 ohm audio cable (like Belden 1800B) which is expensive (this is audio cable too, and will allow you to run long runs of AES/EBU audio).
Everyone makes fun of good cable, and you are now experiencing what happens when you use the wrong cable to send a digital signal down a wire long distances. It’s ain’t voodoo.
Bob Zelin
-
In the future, when you are ready to do uncompressed HD, working at 4:4:4, the capture card is the least of your financial worries. You will need an expensive Sony SR VTR, as well as a massive disk drive array. Your two 500 Gig drives will not do uncompressed HD, and certainly not 4:4:4 uncompressed. And by the time you grow your company to have this demand, new equipment will be out. So worry about what you need right now.
The Decklink Intensity WILL do HD via a HDMI cable. If you are doing HDV right now, the Kona LH and LHe will take in the analog HD signal from the HVRM-10 VTR, with a lot less aggrivation than via firewire. You can use firewire for your VTR control. When your company grows, you will get the Kona 3 and a Sony SR5500 VTR. But for right now, I would not buy a Kona 3 if I was you. The Kona LH or LHe for your HDV VTR is just fine.
Bob Zelin
-
you write –
Or, better yet, they should have a scope in the control panel, otherwise, you have to keep opening/closing FCP to see if your setREPLY –
great suggestion, and people would pay A LOT extra for a working software scope that worked in real time. Whether the MAC has the processing power to display a real time wfm display while FCP is running, I certainly don’t know.Bob Zelin
-
Bob Zelin
October 5, 2006 at 10:54 pm in reply to: Decklink unable to control a Sony A500 digibeta deck but J3 is fineMark –
I use RJ45 patch bays with RJ45-9 pin adaptors all the time. I recently went thru a situation with 2 FCP systems, where I could not get one of the FCP systems to control a Beta 1800. The problem is with your wiring or your RJ45 adaptors. I built the system, and for 2 weeks, I said “there is nothing wrong with the wiring” because the other system worked, and I used a Panduit Pro CAT 5 tester to check all the cabling. BUT IT WAS MY FAULT, as I had a flakey RJ45-9 pin adaptor – even though it worked on the second FCP system. The only way I solved and found this problem was by DRAGGING IN THE VTRS INTO THE EDIT ROOM and connecting them directly into the back of the FCP system. I know that you don’t want to do this, and everyone (like your engineering staff) is saying that there is nothing wrong with the cabling, but THEY ARE WRONG. You will not solve this problem until someone drags the VTR’s into the edit suite and hooks them up directly to the Decklink card without the patch bay.Bob Zelin
-
It’s a crime that Mr. Caropillar had to suffer like this. The “people that set up his system” should not be selling AJA products.
Bob Zelin
-
I know exactly what is happening here, and it’s the sad part of our industry. It’s the reason I “rant” on these forums. This gentlemen is working for a man who is running a video company, or a video department, and wants to spend ABSOLUTELY AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE, and still try to get the job done. I face this all the time in real life. Bob Flood is just doing his job. If he worked for a company that said “hey Bob, here is 14 grand, go get yourself a loaded XServe RAID” we would not be sitting here discussing this. More and more people are working with DV25. If they are doing this, I have no idea of why anyone is involving an AJA or Blackmagic product (it’s like the AJA will turn a DV25 signal into HD-SDI).
It’s no different with “buy a black generator”, or “buy a mixer”. I am sure that Bob Flood is a very bright guy, and is hard working. His boss represents the potential demise of our industry – I hope he gets run over by a car (along with all the other people that think that broadcast video is DV25 and lower).
bob Zelin
-
On my 800 bus, I have 1 or 2 dual raid drives ie 2 sata drives in a firewire 800 enclosure in raid 0
I posted this before, but it seems that the IO is causing problems with the FW 800 bus AND the drive on the 400 bus –
REPLY – no kidding.
Do drives on the 400 bus conflict with the IO la? the website sez only tape decks and cameras cause issues
REPLY – yes. STOP USING FIREWIRE 400 drives !!!!!
does the IO la cause issues on the 800 bus as well?
REPLY – yes – but I use FW800 drives on the FW800 buss (don’t tell). Don’t put ANYTHING on the FW400 buss other than the I/O LA.
If i find a PCI express mac compatible FW 400 card, can i use that to connect my IO La to the mac? –
REPLY –
Listen, STOP USING FW400 drives – PERIOD. I don’t care if it’s on a FCP AJA system, FCP Blackmagic system, or AVID Xpress with Mojo system – DONT USE FW400 DRIVES – STOP IT.I know these are pretty specific questions, but we are stuck with the friggin IO and need to make it work on the intel mac in a realistic manner ie with removable media .
REPLY – you are not stuck with the friggin I/O. STOP USING FW400 drives. It is unrealistic to think that you are going to do a job with FW400 drives. This is the real world, and no matter what you own (unless you are working with a DV camera, no capture card, and DV25 compression only), you aint’ gonna get those FW400 drives to work in a video edit system. I don’t give a crap what anybody else says on this forum – it is foolish to proceed this way. You can use FW800, you can use SATA, you can use Fibre, you can use SCSI, but DONT USE FW400. Let me take this one step further. Even if you get rid of a FW interface box like the I/O, and move to a PCI card like the Kona LSe or LHe, you STILL should NOT use
FW400 drives.Comprende ?
Bob ZElin
REPLY
-
the original K Boxes used to have crackling out of the analog monitor outputs. Change your reference to FREE RUN in the Kona control panel to see if your crackle goes away. Could be a reference issue (and the jar of worms that opens up). Of course, trash preferences.
Bob Zelin
-
Ed is correct – if you trash your FCP preferences, your problem will probably go away.
Bob Zelin