Bill Davis
Forum Replies Created
-
You can try with Panasonic’s AVCCAM SD Recovery software. Pretty sure if’s free.
I’d be VERY wary of commercial recovery software. Lots of it is “ransomware” that will show you supposedly recoverable files, but only let you recover them (sometimes) after you pony up $100 or more.
Older H4n’s get a bit unreliable later in life in my experience. I think I’m replacing mine soon.
Good luck.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Bill Davis
June 7, 2016 at 4:57 am in reply to: Audio Recorder Clipping When Plugged Into SoundboardWhat type of Attenuator? They are usually measured in db’s of attenuation. If you bought one with only a very modest level of attenuation, and you’re presenting a strong signal to it, it’s quite possible that the lowered output is still overloading the mic input.
I carried a switchable 15, 20, 30db attenuator for years. In some recording circumstances (I did a shoot with a “jet car” years ago where 30db was nowhere NEAR enough.!!)
There are 20, 30, 50db attenuators. And you can buy a single one at 15db that might just not do the job.So it might be working and just not strong enough. Or it might have a flaw. If you have a laptop with a sound recording app, you can likely measure the effect and know for sure.
Good luck.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
The GPU in a Display thing is really interesting.
What software in Apple’s stable is most directly driven by GPU performance?
IF Apple is doing something interesting with their GPU interface in coming hardware iterations, one of the Apple products that could be expected to potentially benefit from that would clearly be GPU loving software like FCP X.
Let me be clear. This is pure, uninformed speculation only. I haven’t a single clue about this topic other than as a user like everyone else.
But it’s sure fun to speculate!
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Ashish,
The only thing you can really do in a situation like this is to create a traveling matte to isolate the object and let you overlay the original picture over the keyed area.
Tools like CoreMelt’s Track X makes this much easier if the subject is in motion.
Good luck.
Creator of XinTwo – https://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
[Craig Alan] “But text editing in FCP X is not the only time I’ve had FCPX crash only to have to reopen and pick up where I left off”
Hope I didn’t imply that. I’ve had other occasional glitches that require re-starting even when I’m doing nothing with text. Some of it just seems to be a mystery.
Regarding the font thing – I had plenty of issues in my early days where I eventually tracked the problem to a corrupt type family or even a specific font.
It’s not the ONLY cause, but a possible one. If your system is loaded with older fonts that you seldom (or never) use, I think it’s always good practice to clean things up now and then.
FWIW.
Creator of XinTwo – http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Want to know what’s REALLY scary?
Presumably over time, if Google, Apple, Tesla, etc have their way – we may eventually migrate to autonomous cars.
Who will be among the largest “losers” if that happens? If you said the INSURANCE Industry – give yourself a gold star.
All those carefully crafted “YOU CANT DRIVE UNLESS YOU PAY US, INDIVIDUALS” laws now on every states books? Bye bye.
That industry will be ROCKED like nothing since slide-rule makers got clocked by Texas Instruments.
Thank goodness people will always get sick – insurance companies have gotta make those massive profits somewhere……………sigh.
And so expect nothing but higher and higher and higher rates EVERYWHERE. I think it’s an industry rates binge now, in preparation for the future, – NOT, I suspect, because that reflects market forces or the actual cost of services – but because they have TONS of actuaries and prognosticators on their payrolls who can see exactly where these things are going.
Right now, regulation and legislation is ALL we can hope for to provide protection. And that means the slimy morass of Politics is all that’s left. Because the market forces have largely been gutted. If you don’t think so, good luck finding that great, cheap policy. Good luck getting Union help. Good luck getting government advocacy for consumer protections.
I noticed both those referenced articles came out of Red states just like mine. I personally have seen NOTHING out of any Red state governor that has tried to address this. If you have, please point it out. The governors who are trying to make something closer to single payer work ALL seem to be on the other team.
Oh well.
It’s just interesting, that’s all.
Creator of XinTwo – http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
Where are my emojis when I really need them?
; )
Creator of XinTwo – http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
I agree it could be better. When I do occasionally run into a spate of random crashes, it’s typically when I’m working with TEXT in X. Thankfully, with the X constant save approach, it’s more an annoyance than an actual problem. Happens to me with Manifesto too – so I think it’s something fundamental in the OS or the app itself in text handling that causes X grief, but pure speculation on my part.
After decades of “font conflicts” and historic postscript printer hang-ups and the like, I have a pretty high tolerance for text system screw-ups, but I probably shouldn’t. It would certainly be excellent if some future update to X took care of the nagging stuff like font handling (and easier keyframe manipulation) once and for all.
Still not even remotely enough to make me re-think the program. More like pulling out the ice-cream and realizing I don’t have any chocolate sauce.
Not a big deal, but I can dream, can’t I?
Creator of XinTwo – http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
T did quite a bit more writing on the Pan Law than just that tweet – basically talking about how the different approaches to panning and summing signals – and when it’s appropriate to apply additional gain to a summed signal.
My take away was that it’s a bit of a conditional and somewhat fluid problem.
If the math yields a 6db drop in the summed result, I can easily manually correct for that and there’s no chance of screwing anything up.
But if I design a circuit that sums – then automatically applies additional gain to the result to somewhat normalize the summed result – what happens when a component of the original channel is super close to digital clipping? Is the sum/boost cycle going to send me into digital clipping? If so that could be a MUCH worse problem.
Thankfully, I’ve never had to figure that out.
The reason I referenced T’s work, is that I’ve just never found any of the sound handling I’ve encountered in X to be a problem I can’t VERY easily fix.
This is kinda in that category to me. So I’ve largely ignored it.But it’s good to get the info out about how to deal with it if it bothers somebody. And it’s not imaginary. It’s the math.
Creator of XinTwo – http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery. -
[Andrew Kimery] “There used to be many more Apple sections but Apple keeps killing its products, “
It’s all Apples fault.
Got it.
; -)
Creator of XinTwo – http://www.xintwo.com
The shortest path to FCP X mastery.