Forum Replies Created
-
I’ve been working with XDCAM EX footage natively (and in mixed timelines) for a few years and everything has gone just fine.
My most recent project was all shot on Canon XF305 cameras (422, 50mbit) and all four Mac Pros are having stability issues and odd playback errors on this project. I won’t say conclusively that it’s related to the Canon codec (which is similar but not the same as Sony’s codec) but whatever’s going on is maddening as hell. We have hundreds of hours of footage so converting to ProRes isn’t an option but if I was to use the Canon cameras again, and time & storage space weren’t a big issue, I’d transcode to ProRes on ingest.
But that’s just me being once bit and twice shy.
-Andrew
-
Fahrenheit 451 was a watershed book for me growing up and one of the few books I’ve reread multiple times.
-Andrew
-
I use a similar dock for backing up files as well. While I was researching them I read reviews that some users had experienced heat related drive fails from prolonged, heavy use. Even though the top part of the drive is exposed the 25% or so that’s in the dock doesn’t get any ventilation. I’d rather use a an enclosure that is well ventilated for editing.
-Andrew
-
Hey, no sweat. Good luck!
-
You could also try splitting up the sequences into two batches to see if that works. If batch A goes fine but batch B fails then there might a corrupt sequence or piece of media that is causing the problem. Take batch B and split it into and see if one group fails again. You’ll have to keep splitting the remaining sequences into two groups until you find the one that is causing the problem. And then you’ll have to find the piece of media that’s causing the problem (assuming it is a piece of media of course).
If splitting it into two batches works then odds are it was just too much for FCP to handle in one big chunk.
-Andrew
-
The size could have something to do with it. Is there an error message that comes up or just FCP just freeze?
Have you tried only doing one sequence at a time?
-
I think Shane hit the nail on the head w/saying that different segments of the industry, as well as different geographical locations, will be using different tools. I typically work as part of a larger production so I need to know Avid & FCP 7 because that’s what the vast majority of my potential employers in LA use. If I worked all the time as a self-contained shop and all I delivered to my clients was the final product then I’d have more liberty to use whatever I wanted.
Is it wise to start out w/FCPX? Sure, why not? Just don’t think that’s the only NLE you’ll learn. I started out w/a mix of Avid Express, Premiere 6 and linear editing. I later stumbled into FCP (because it was inexpensive at only $999) and used it on my own projects while I still used Avid at work.
If it looks like potential employers will start using FCPX then I’ll start learning that too. I’m not really worried about being ‘first’ to know FCPX because I don’t see being first as really being beneficial to me as an editor. I wasn’t on board for V1 of Avid, AE, PS, FCP, etc., but that hasn’t stopped me from working w/those apps professionally.
-Andrew
-
Andrew Kimery
May 25, 2012 at 4:53 pm in reply to: OT: Inexact Computer Chip Challenges Traditional Thinking[Walter Soyka] ”
If accuracy in computation is no longer a given, and I’ll be very curious to see how this impacts those of us dealing with visuals. How many flaws in image processing are acceptable for increases in speed or efficiency?”Isn’t compression a window into the levels of ‘good enough’ in the video world? Or, to go even beyond that, 24fps 35mm was the standard to meet even though faster frame rates and larger frame sizes existed but didn’t pan out from a cost/benefit perspective.
-
Andrew Kimery
May 24, 2012 at 7:07 pm in reply to: OT, but of possible interest: Seagate is buying LaCieLaCie had a very bad rough patch 3-5 years ago w/drives dropping like flies but all of the LaCie drives I’ve purchased in the last 18mo or so have been great (6-8 drives probably). They are mostly the ‘rugged’ drives used for sneaker-netting and light, on-location editing.
-
If Apple released a new version of FCP 10 (which would be called 10.1 because I believe they switched over to using the same version numbering system that they use for OS X) does anyone think that would wash away some of the stigma since it would be a new version and not the same 10.0 version that so many people hated? I wonder how many people see the point updates as Apple trying to patch a broken production where as a new version many times carries w/it the air of a fresh/revitalized product and new features.
Sure, it’s just psychological but so is stigma in general.