Forum Replies Created

Page 274 of 333
  • Andrew Kimery

    June 22, 2012 at 4:37 pm in reply to: Happy 1 Year Birthday for FCP X

    [Joseph W. Bourke] ” I have neighbors who still do logging (and I don’t mean video) using work horses and oxen. Imagine the laughs that gets from the corporate farmers who use combines and GPS. Whatever tool gets your job done.”
    I’m assuming that your neighbors are selection cutting as opposed to clear cutting though (or clear cutting a very small area). If they were trying to clear cut a large area I could see that being a source of amusement for large, mechanized logging companies but for selection cutting draft animals are still best, and many times only, way to get into and out of the woods w/o leaving a giant swath of destruction in your wake.

    That’s completely beside your point, but for some reason I felt the need to chime in. I’m not a logger, and I didn’t stat at a Holiday Inn last night, but I have seen reality TV shows about logging.

  • Andrew Kimery

    June 20, 2012 at 9:23 pm in reply to: Media Manager Question – FCP 7

    I don’t see the pictures you wanted attached to your post, but make sure that all of your master clips have a Reel Number assigned to them. In the Browser window keep scrolling until you see the Reel column. If a clip does not have a Reel Number assigned to it FCP will not trim the clip down during a media manage. You can Ree Numbers in the Browser itself. A warning will pop up about modifying the clip itself and just hit okay/yes.

    -Andrew

  • Andrew Kimery

    June 20, 2012 at 8:20 pm in reply to: Frame controls question in Compressor

    I have to disagree with you Grant. It sounds like you are treating timecode and frame rate interchangeably even though they are two separate things. Frame rate is how quickly frames are captured or played back where as timecode is just a labeling system to give each frame a unique number.

    It’s like pages in a book and page numbers. Lets say I have a 100 page book and, in normal fashion, each page gets a number starting at 1 and ending at 100. If I decide to only number every other page then my last page number will be 50 but I will still have 100 pages in the book. Like wise, I could ‘drop’ a few page numbers along the way, but still number each page, so my last page number is 110 but I will still only have 100 pages in my book.

    The 29.97 frame rate is not the same thing as 30.00, 23.976 (sometimes called 23.98) is not the same thing as 24.00 and 59.94 is not the same as 60.00.

    For example:
    A 60min clip of 30.00 fps footage will contain 108,000 frames
    A 60min clip of 29.97 fps footage will contain about 108,107 frames

    If we label frame 1 as 00:00:00:00 and count up one number per frame we will obviously get two different final numbers that represent the same duration of time. This is where drop frame timecode comes into the picture. Drop frame timecode will systemically skip (or ‘drop’) timecode numbers so that the timecode read out of the 29.97 footage will stay the same as the timecode readout of the 30.00 footage (which is the same as real time). It will not drop frames of video (even though the name implies that).

    The FCP 7 manual actually has a pretty good write up about frame rates and timecode.
    https://documentation.apple.com/en/finalcutpro/usermanual/index.html#chapter=D%26section=6

    -Andrew

  • Andrew Kimery

    June 20, 2012 at 12:47 am in reply to: Microsoft Surface

    I’ve got a ‘jasper’ 360 which draws less power, runs cooler (and thus quieter) than older 360s and it’s pretty quite. Certainly not noticeable while watching something or playing a game and barely noticeable when the room is quiet. I think jasper was the last hardware revision before the new 360 ‘slim’ models came out and those run even quieter.

    Yes the Wii raced out to a big lead but has since crashed (which is why I said that of the three Nintendo seemed the least focused on 5-10yrs down the road). Nintendo recently posted its first annual loss in 30yrs in part because of rapidly declining interest in the Wii. The apparent lesson learned is that although casual gamers out number hardcore gamers, hardcore gamers but more games (a lot more games). The Wii U is basically the Nintendo console that the core audience has been wanting for the past 5 years. I wonder if it’s too little too late though as Wii U seems poised to merely catch up to the 360 and PS3 while the next gen of those consoles will be coming out in a couple of years.

    Nintendo also needs to get on the online gaming and home media center bandwagons. The Gamecube and Wii both lagged way behind MS and Sony in this regard and it’s another reason the Wii aged much faster than the PS3 and 360. Not to mention Nintendo needs to reevaluate its portable line as smart phones / tablets are posing a threat unlike Nintendo has seen before in this area. Core gamers will still pick a 3DS but casual gamers, who now have more of a choice than ever for portable gaming, will be abounding their handheld consoles in droves.

    Getting back to MS.. yes the token system is annoying but I don’t think they do it for the kids. I think they do it the same reason that the games at places like Dave and Buster’s work on a token/credit system as well. They hope that by taking the dollar amount directly out of the equation that you’ll be more likely to spend more money.

    MS has been trying to leverage the 360 as a home theater and IPTV device for years and it seems like now the rest of the pieces (particularly online streaming) are falling into place for that to happen. Toss the Kincet in there to give you a controller free way to interact with the device and the oldest of the three consoles seems to sitting in the best position.

    If any of the three really dropped the ball it has to be Sony. They went from hero to zero and very publicly commented on how they had a 10yr plan for the PS3. They bet heavily on Blu-ray (hoping to mirror the success that DVD playback had for the PS2) and had to take too big of a loss on hardware sales to reach a competitive price point. Even after they took out features to reduce manufacturing costs it was nearly enough to stop the cash hemorrhage.

    I have, or have had, iOS, WebOS and Android devices and I’m looking forward to seeing what SmartGlass and Windows 8 has to offer. I hope SmartGlass works as advertised because I’d much rather own a 360 and use whatever mobile OS I want with it as opposed to getting locked in to all iOS, all Windows or all Android devices.

  • Andrew Kimery

    June 19, 2012 at 9:48 pm in reply to: Microsoft Surface

    I think MS definitely saw the long haul w/the 360 which is why the ancient device (in console years) seemingly gets more and more useful. MS has been trying to be the computer presence in the living room since the ’90s and I think the 360 is succeeding as their trojan horse. If MS could make their products ‘sexy’ like Apple it would be a whole different ballgame, IMO. Apple releases limiting products but people still buy them en masse because of the industrial design, marketing and typical easy of use.

    If anyone didn’t aim long term it was Nintendo which is why they are releasing a new console this year.

    There already exists a fair amount of interconnectivity between MS devices/services but MS typically does a poor job showcasing those things to the public. For example, getting my 360 to stream media from the other devices sitting on my home WiFi (Windows, Macs and home NAS) is a piece of cake. The 360 will automatically see the media on the Windows machine and NAS though my Macs need an easy to use freeware program to interact w/the 360 (thanks Apple). Take a look at the last few E3s and you’ll see a lot of MS announcements that certainly aren’t aimed at the 13yr-old gamer.

    Sure, the Xboxes themselves were sold as loss leaders for a while but that’s the norm for video game consoles. IIRC, Nintendo’s Wii was the first video game console to not be sold at a loss upon launch. The Xbox unit would certainly be in a better place if they didn’t lose over $1billion from the Red Ring of Death, but the Entertainment Unit as a whole (which the Xbox is a part of) is doing well for MS.

    *If* this new tablet isn’t a flop and *if* MS can get something going in the smartphone area I think MS can leverage the 360 as base to wedge itself back into the tablet and smartphone areas (not to mention how promising SmartGlass looks). Apple and Google are both struggling to get into the living room and in the living room is where MS has a lot of traction right now.

  • My bad, I misread what you were saying. Yeah, I agree that retina will eventually be across all their product lines.

  • [Keith Koby] ” Take the development that is apparent in the retina mbp as an indicator of what you’ll see in the next imac and macpro.”

    Besides the ‘new’ ports (USB 3, HDMI, ThB) nothing about the retina MBP would translate well into a MP, IMO. Retina display? Obviously N/A to a headless tower. 758gig of non-upgradeable Flash memory as the boot drive on a MP? Not really appealing. Non-upgradable RAM? Not really appealing. No Ethernet port? Again, not really appealing.

    The retina MBP certain packs a lot into a very small space but the concessions made to do so don’t belong in a desktop workstation.

    -Andrew

  • Andrew Kimery

    June 12, 2012 at 3:21 am in reply to: Lets wait…

    [Bobby Mosca] “Well I will say this: It’s not time for an iMac update. Their usual timetable on that has been the fall, so I wasn’t expecting news on that front. iMac news will be thrown in with the New iPhone in September (or whenever).”

    This iMac has gone very long in the update cycle. The iMac hasn’t been update in well over a year and it’s usually update every 10 months or so and , at least according to the MacRumors buyer’s guide, it’s usually updated in Spring/Summer.

    https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac

  • [Craig Seeman] “I can understand that the MacPro would be a major ordeal given Thunderbolt and GPU integration and case redesign but that wouldn’t have the case for iMac with Ivy Bridge and USB3.”

    Maybe designing all the new laptops (especially the next gen MBP) took the lion’s share of their hardware guys so even an ‘easier’ upgrade like the iMac just wasn’t in the cards. Plus w/the rumors of a redesigned iPhone 5 out there that’s even more hardware guys potentially tied up. I think Apple’s priorities are iDevices, laptops, iMacs, towers and w/a fixed workforce that means the lower tier stuff just gets ignored.

    [Brett Sherman] “It just makes me wonder why they even bothered with FCP X to begin with. I would say this raises the question of whether they will kill it eventually. One might suspect that there is a strategy at Apple. However, my suspicion is that the right hand doesn’t know what the left hand is doing and there actually is no cohesive strategy for the pro market.”

    I think it’s much simpler than that. Apple just isn’t targeting the higher end/bigger budget (whatever you want to call it) customer like they have in the past. Apple is making what they want to make, selling a ton of it, and if they aren’t making what you need then go someplace else. I think that’s Apple’s mindset, I think it has been for decades, and it’s working out really well for them. The big difference now is that what Apple wants to make, and what you want Apple to make, aren’t overlapping as much anymore.

    I don’t see them killing FCPX because there are a millions of people that find it much more approachable than other NLEs and those people are the primary audience for FCPX. Trust, Apple doesn’t need to sell FCPX higher-end pros for it to be a success in Apple’s eyes. Higher end pros would be mashed potatoes, not the main course (hell, we might only be the gravy…).

    -Andrew

  • [Frank Gothmann] “And why 2013? Doesn’t make any sense at all? Virtually all PC makers are shipping workstations with new Sandy Bridge Xeons.”

    I assume that the MBPs, MBAs and iDevices were the top priority so the desktop machine dev got delayed. I’ve read that Apple doesn’t like expanding and contracting its workforce so they just move people around internally to work on priority projects as opposed to bringing outside workers in to help out during busy times.

Page 274 of 333

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy