Forum Replies Created

Page 259 of 333
  • Andrew Kimery

    March 2, 2013 at 7:20 am in reply to: Standing desk report: two weeks in

    [Mark Suszko] “The trick is convincing others that your “thinking time” is not just malingering.”

    This is where smokers have a built in advantage. Some how ‘I need a smoke’ is totally understood but ‘I need food’ or ‘I need a quick break’ is frowned upon.

  • Andrew Kimery

    March 2, 2013 at 6:52 am in reply to: Rhythm and Hues

    [Nick Griffin] “Discount shooting and cheaper editing are no substitute for knowing what’s of interest to the target audience as well as what other marketers are saying to them. Hopefully this advantage will continue to matter. “
    I agree but the clients looking for that are just a subset of the larger overall client base which now has more options than ever. Non-discerning clients (or just cheap clients) will make their decision 90% based on price. And I just don’t mean the traditional ‘grinder’ clients either. I’ve worked for large companies that just want people churn out edits because when the project comes in under budget management gets a bonus. Of course this hurts the company long term because you can only coast for so long churning out mediocre product but management seems content to milk the cash cow until it dies.

    There certainly is a lot of upheaval right now in part because ‘good enough’ knowledge and good enough tools are available to the masses in ways they weren’t even 5yrs ago and the trend is just going to continue. Pretty soon editing and creating a cool composite shot won’t be any different than someone casually learning guitar because they want to strum out a few songs at the next beach bonfire they go to. The silver lining is that people still make livings as musicians. There’s just more competition now than there was 200yrs ago.

  • Andrew Kimery

    March 2, 2013 at 12:29 am in reply to: OT: Adobe raising our costs by 600%

    [Bill Davis] “BEM camp or NBEM camp.
    (Before Eureka! Moment or Not Before Eureka! Moment)”

    Yes, if only the dirty heathens would hurry up and realize how wrong they are for not recognizing the pending perfection that is FCPX.

    Lord.. and I thought nothing could approach the asinine level of late 90’s PC/Mac flame wars.

  • Andrew Kimery

    March 1, 2013 at 6:02 am in reply to: Standing desk report: two weeks in

    I remember after Walter Murch mentioned he cut standing up there was a lot of interest in cutting while standing.

    Personally, I spent years in retail working on my feet and have no desire to go back to that. I’ll get up periodically to walk around, stretch, gaze out a window, etc., but I’m more than happy to sit while editing. One of those motorized desks that raises and lowers at the touch of a button could be fun but they are a bit on the pricey side.

  • Andrew Kimery

    February 27, 2013 at 9:39 pm in reply to: Serious Legal Stuff Happening at Avid

    Where’s the fun if we aren’t jumping to conclusions?

  • Andrew Kimery

    February 27, 2013 at 8:07 am in reply to: Serious Legal Stuff Happening at Avid

    I’m a financial laymen but could this be related to possible Sarbanes-Oxley violations? I remember a few years ago there was uproar because iPod Touch users had to pay for iOS upgrades where as iPhone users did not and it was because of a regulations in the Sarbanes-Oxley Act.

    https://appleinsider.com/articles/09/10/21/inside_apples_iphone_subscription_accounting_changes

  • Andrew Kimery

    February 27, 2013 at 12:17 am in reply to: Avid’s accounting needs some editing

    [Craig Seeman] “Yes. I’ve read a couple of analysts mention that they felt that Avid’s price cut offer wasn’t a great idea because the lower price further ate into revenue with no obvious gain. It’s not selling hardware.”

    I saw it as an attempted loss leader. I think the hope was that people would buy MC on sale, decide they liked it then expand into Avid hardware. I think the ‘stickiness’ of FCP Legend has surprised many people. I still see new productions starting up with FCP of old. Crazy.

  • Andrew Kimery

    February 26, 2013 at 7:38 pm in reply to: How much longer for 720p?

    [Walter Graff] “1080 is two interlaced fields combined which makes for some pretty crappy issues related to motion and edges. It will look better as a still frame but once you moves watch out.”

    1080i60 is interlaced but 1080p60, 1080p30 and 1080p24 are not. It’s fine to be flippant but not inaccurate. 😉

  • Andrew Kimery

    February 26, 2013 at 3:35 am in reply to: How much longer for 720p?

    [Gary Huff] “I think a bigger deal is if we can get 1080p60 added to ATSC.”

    I believe in 1080p60 was added to ATSC but turners made prior to this update won’t be able to decode the signal.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p

    I think 1080p60, like 4K, won’t make it to broadcast but will eventually be used by streaming video services.

  • Andrew Kimery

    February 26, 2013 at 12:23 am in reply to: How much longer for 720p?

    [David Roth Weiss] “Hey Shane, just a heads-up, a good source I spoke with at the HPA Retreat told me ABC, FOX and ESPN are all switching to 1080p this year, possibly right around NAB.”

    Really? Switching to 1080i60 seems like a lateral move (if not slightly backward due to interlace artifacts, IMO) and 1080p60 would present compatibility issues with many HDTVs wouldn’t it?

    I did a comparison of 1080i60 and 720p60 a few years ago and if I paused and did an A/B comparison the 1080i60 was a bit sharper. When I played a split screen test though no one could tell the difference standing arms length away from a 45″ Sony Bravia HDTV we used as a client monitor. I stuck my nose in my 24″ JVC b’cast monitor and couldn’t tell a difference either. Small text on video game huds ended up being the tie breaker (I was developing a workflow for a company that covered the video game industry). The interlacing destroyed the fine detail making the text on the HUDs unreadable where as the progressive was still pristine and legible. Even though the show delivered to the network in 1080i60 on HDCAM (maybe SR, can’t remember) all acquisition and editing was done in 720p60 because it yielded the same, if not better image quality, than 1080i60 in the same workflow. The company is also primarily web-based for distribution and progressive compresses a heck of a lot cleaner than interlaced so that was an influencing factor as well.

    With all that being said, I think 720p will eventually ‘die out’ because it’s a smaller number than 1080 and not because people can actually tell a difference.

    -Andrew

Page 259 of 333

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy