Forum Replies Created

Page 258 of 333
  • Andrew Kimery

    March 5, 2013 at 12:07 am in reply to: Standing desk report: two weeks in

    Which desk did you buy, Spencer?

  • After you use the blade tool you can hit tttt and it FCP will select everything to the right of the playhead and the content of ever track that is not locked can be moved. If you just need to ‘reveal’ whats on a lower track you can select all the upper tracks, hit control+b to deactivate the clip(s) you have selected.

  • Andrew Kimery

    March 4, 2013 at 8:26 pm in reply to: For the love of God, can this be fixed…

    You can batch convert the audio but if anything in the filename changes (including the file extension) then FCP won’t automatically relink to it. You can force FCP to manually relink to it one file at a time though. That’s tedious but probably not as tedious as having to constantly re-render audio. Having improper audio in the timeline can also cause problems on exports (audio distortions or sync problems) that won’t show up in the timeline so even if you put up with the constant audio rendering you might get a nasty surprise when you go to export the movie.

  • Andrew Kimery

    March 4, 2013 at 1:06 am in reply to: OT: Adobe raising our costs by 600%

    [Bill Davis] “Even when someone tells you something that makes you bristle – you can get offended and disengage – OR – you can see for yourself if there’s something worth learning.

    Point 2 – Oops, you failed to add the emoticon after your own “you’re holding it wrong” line directed at me – indicating that you MUST have felt THAT was a serious diss and not a cheeky comment? Essentially, haven’t you just done EXACTLY what you’re criticizing me for? “

    The “you’re holding it wrong” meme is well known so I figured it would be recognized, which it was, w/o the need for an emoticon to underscore the intent.

    A minority of comments make me bristle and I’m still here gleaning things in spite of that. Like I said before, I have no ill will towards FCPX and will pick it up if it becomes viable in my neck of the woods. I think the engage/disengage aspect has been covered.

    [Bill Davis] “The truth here, is that in fast ebb and flow of daily discussion here, we ALL make semantic mistakes and often fail to write with “tonal clarity” – and I’m likely guilty as sin of that. “

    I think we are all at various times which is why I suggested the emoticon. I know some people don’t care to use them but they can certainly help.

  • Andrew Kimery

    March 3, 2013 at 9:52 pm in reply to: Accidental DELETE – PROJECT GONE

    For the deleted FCP project, did you delete your autosave vault too? If you have emptied the trash disconnect the drive that held the deleted media immediately (if it was on your system drive stop using your computer)! The more you use the drive the greater the chances of overwriting your footage and not being able to get it back.

  • Andrew Kimery

    March 3, 2013 at 5:27 am in reply to: OT: Adobe raising our costs by 600%

    [Bill Davis] “Sorry you’re so sensitive to this, but honestly, if you think posting opinions in a public forum for debate is “dictating to others” then you have a perception problem.”

    Like I said in my previous post, you can love what you want all you want but preaching in absolutes (like below quote) just undercuts any reasonable discussion you are attempting to have.

    [Bill Davis] “Editors in two simple camps.

    BEM camp or NBEM camp.
    (Before Eureka! Moment or Not Before Eureka! Moment)”

    Not much room left for people that have given it an honest try but just don’t like it as much as other NLEs (maybe they were holding it wrong?) or people that have a workflow that X can’t easily fit into.

    If your comment was meant to be cheeky then toss in a 😉 or something as cheeky is hard to glean on the internet.

    [Bill Davis] “Debate, disengage, or simply move along. Personally, I hope you stay and engage. But please argue the merits of the REALITY of X. Not the smoke and mirror stuff. You think it’s NOT good at something say what. We can discuss that.”

    I think you have me confused with someone else as I’ve never spent my time here randomly bashing anything. From the day X was released my position has been that if it grows into a tool I need then I’ll pick it up. Currently what I find most lacking in X is that none of my perspective employers use it and that’s a pretty big deterrent as an editor for hire. If I get the feeling that’s changing then I’ll learn X but until then it behoves me to spend my professional development time improving my skills on Avid MC, AE and Resolve (and to a lesser extent PPro) since those will land me jobs today and for the foreseeable future. FCP X and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee in LA these days. 😉 <— cheeky

    [Bill Davis] “But I’m likely going to continue to write about having fun using X – regardless of anyone else’s opinion – first because it’s my reality – and second, because that’s a solid part of what this forum is FOR.”

    That’s great. I wouldn’t want anything different. It’s only when you seem to forget that the experiences & needs of others will not necessarily mirror your experiences & needs that my eyes roll.

    As a slight aside, I wish I was able to attend and meet you at the LACPUG. I feel like online communication is less obtuse (for lack of a better word) when people have met offline.

  • Andrew Kimery

    March 2, 2013 at 10:00 pm in reply to: Lightworks coming to the Mac

    I’m curious to kick the tires. Of course I say that about a lot of software and don’t always find time to actually do it.

  • Andrew Kimery

    March 2, 2013 at 9:08 pm in reply to: OT: Adobe raising our costs by 600%

    Not angry Bill. Only mildly annoyed with your continued refrain about how people that don’t like/use FCP X just don’t ‘get it’ and if they got it they’d surely use and surely love it. You can love whatever you want all you want but don’t dicate to others why they like/dislike what they do. That type of evangelism just grates on my nerves.

    Of course since you said that no matter how awesome you think FCP X is it won’t meet everyone’s needs I guess that means editors aren’t in two simple camps anymore? 😉

  • Andrew Kimery

    March 2, 2013 at 11:42 am in reply to: Standing desk report: two weeks in

    Salvador Dali had a way of harnessing his creativity though I don’t think it would work for us that have clients or producers hovering about.

    “His favorite technique is that he would put a tin plate on the floor and then sit by a chair beside it, holding a spoon over the plate. He would then totally relax his body; sometimes he would begin to fall asleep. The moment that he began to doze the spoon would slip from his fingers and clang on the plate, immediately waking him to capture the surreal images. ”

    https://www.creativitypost.com/create/salvador_dalis_creative_thinking_technique#sthash.v55eQKFq.dpuf

  • Andrew Kimery

    March 2, 2013 at 11:38 am in reply to: Rhythm and Hues

    [Tim Wilson] “Very true, and one of the most frequent topics in this forum…but for someone like Digital Domain or R&H, “good enough” is NOT good enough. It has to be miraculous, it has to be massive, and it has to be insanely fast. “

    When I originally said it I was speaking in a more general sense but I think it applies here too albeit in a slightly different way. R&H’s end product has to be top notch, but do all their employees have to be as well? There is certainly a high level of artistry to VFX but there is also a lot of rote grunt work (just like with editing). I’ve never worked on anything that would be considered VFX heavy but I’d imagine there is a lot of prep work (key pulling, rotoscoping, wire removal, etc.,) in a movie like Avengers or Amazing Spider-Man that requires more elbow grease than artistry and if you can hire 400 ‘good enough’ elbows over there for the same price as 100 good enough elbows over here… to quote Stalin, “Quantity has a quality all its own”.

    What starts as grunt work now will grow into higher quality work as these overseas companies gain experience (similar to the path animation has taken). Eventually they too will outsource their grunt work to another country and the cycle will repeat itself. Maybe VFX work will circle the globe and come back to the U.S. in a few decades. 😉

Page 258 of 333

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy