Forum Replies Created

Page 248 of 333
  • [Aindreas Gallagher] “you might think adobe corporate threw everything they had at CS6-7 to get at a working rental landlord steady state.
    I almost think adobe really are at a point where they just want to pick up a rent payment –

    – and fire a lot of people internally, and kill a lot of R&D.”

    Then people would just walk out in droves. It’s not like $50/mo is a giant boat anchor hanging around someone’s neck. Being six figures in debt to Avid while watching FCP Legend and ‘fast enough’ consumer desktops drop the bottom out of the market… now that’s a money hole you can’t just walk away from.

  • Andrew Kimery

    May 9, 2013 at 1:13 am in reply to: Thoughts from an Apple Fanboi

    [Jordan Mena] “What worries me is that maybe after 2 years Adobe decides to raise their prices. Maybe $50 dollars to you isn’t that much, but, what about $150”

    Start looking for alternatives I guess. I mean, what else is there to do for those users concerned (and it’s not an unfounded concern) that Adobe may raise the rates beyond what the user can pay. If Adobe keeps wanting to make in roads with editors they certainly can’t jack up the price as long as Avid and Apple are providing competitive products (and who knows what Blackmagic’s long term plans for DaVinci are).

  • Andrew Kimery

    May 8, 2013 at 10:42 pm in reply to: Is bootlegging really so bad?

    [Gary Huff] “I was referring to a specific situation with currently boxed software, not to CC.”

    Ah, I’m with you now. I was talking about CC, not the boxed software, lol.

    Internet – 1

    clear communication – 0

  • Andrew Kimery

    May 8, 2013 at 10:10 pm in reply to: Is bootlegging really so bad?

    Yeah, I knew some large companies too that pirated software (or at least used to) as a matter of course.

    [Gary Huff] “What happens is there is something wrong with the license, a torrented copy is found to get the work done, and then it’s forgotten and the torrented version is running years later.”

    No need to download a torrent copy though. You just perform a hack that makes the software think you are still ‘inside’ the 30 day activation window (probably the same hack that can be used on the 30-day trials now). Or, heck, you download the 30-day trial and use that. W/the monthly billing I’m sure people won’t forget that they have CC and when they update their software the hack will probably get destroyed in the process and things ‘under the hood’ will go back to normal.

  • Andrew Kimery

    May 8, 2013 at 9:56 pm in reply to: Is bootlegging really so bad?

    [Gary Huff] “Not at all…there are hacks for games that require constant online validation (think the new Sim City) that people hacked so they could actually play it because the servers were down.

    Business owners won’t be pirating software…it’s not worth it to them. I suspect that, if anything, they’ll simply stay put…like they did with FCP7. If enough of them do that, Adobe’s in for a world of hurt.”

    I agree.

    I wouldn’t be surprised if a situation arose where a hack had to be used as a short term fix because something wonky happend w/the authentication handshake. I would be surprised if happend in any notable numbers though since you have 30 days + 1 week grace period to have the software connect to Adobe briefly to say ‘hello’. If Adobe required a constant connection that’s a whole other ball of wax.

  • Andrew Kimery

    May 8, 2013 at 9:36 pm in reply to: Is bootlegging really so bad?

    Not quite the same situation is a bit of an understatement. 😉 Buying a game then using a no-disc hack or something like that so you can play the game w/o needing the disc in the tray is not the same thing as pirating a copy of the game.

    Sure, some people pirate games and some people pirate software. I’m not convinced though that CC will get business owners to switch from paying for Adobe products to pirating Adobe products in any significant numbers.

  • Andrew Kimery

    May 8, 2013 at 9:25 pm in reply to: weird blog post.

    That blog post is about a year old and, thus, contains info about a year out of date. 😉

  • Andrew Kimery

    May 8, 2013 at 8:54 pm in reply to: Is bootlegging really so bad?

    [Gary Huff] “Depends on if the software “shorts out” on them in the middle of a big project and some savy user knows how to setup and run a local activation server.”

    So you think it will be common for people to have a show stopping activation problem that Adobe can’t remedy so they’ll hack it so they can continue working and ultimately they’ll just cancel their CC membership while using the hack as a ‘permanent’ solution to run their business on pirated software?

  • Andrew Kimery

    May 8, 2013 at 8:23 pm in reply to: Is bootlegging really so bad?

    [Gary Huff] “I think it does…for people who want it to just work and not have to worry about the software being unable to call home for whatever reason.”

    I guess I’m wondering how many business owners who currently pay for Adobe products will now pirate Adobe products vs how many people who currently pirate Adobe products will continue to pirate Adobe products.

    I know of a few facilities, rather large places, that used to pirate software as a matter of course (not sure if they still do or not) but by and large the people I know and the shops I’ve been all have legit copies of their software. I could see them moving to another vender but not pirating software as a common practice.

  • Andrew Kimery

    May 8, 2013 at 8:05 pm in reply to: Is bootlegging really so bad?

    [David Lawrence] “What I find interesting is that by eliminating perpetual licensing, Adobe actually creates a new incentive for piracy. The same hack that eliminates reliance on Adobe’s authentication servers is also a safeguard against future price gouging and guarantees future access to files. I’m not advocating piracy here, but if a goal of Creative Cloud is to combat illegal copies, I think it may have an unintended opposite effect.”

    Like a lock on the front door of your house, it’s a deterrent. It’s not designed to make Adobe products unhackable. It’s designed to help combat things like the casual ‘loaning’ of discs and people selling computers on ebay/craigslist ‘fully loaded’ with thousands of dollars of pre-installed apps.

    Anyone can already download the 30-day trial + a hack to make it work indefinitely so I don’t think CC opens the door to a new wave of pirating of Adobe’s products.

Page 248 of 333

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy