Forum Replies Created
-
[John Rofrano] “I believe she was referring to editing as a profession i.e., those who edit as their job, as apposed to those who edit casually but are really producers or DP’s, etc. I can find my way around After Effects to make a nice title or something but I wouldn’t consider myself a Motion Graphics Designer. It was a statement more about FCP X being easily approachable by those who do not edit for a living more than anything else. Of course, only Lillian can clarify.”
My thoughts as well. For example, I spent nearly two years color grading as my primary occupation before I felt comfortable selling myself as a colorist (as opposed to an editor that’s very good at grading). I’ve since gone back to editing full time and my grading knowledge and skill has atrophied over time so I’m back to being an editor that’s got strong color chops. I’d consider branding myself a colorist at this point in time to be disingenuous.
Maybe being in LA, where specialists abound, influences my POV in this area.
-
[Jeremy Garchow] “Why, now, is this idea a problem with fcpx and somehow more “unpro” than before? Or maybe Lillian doesn’t know the Legend of FCP Legend?”
Two fold, IMO. First, X launched lacking many ‘pro’ features that Legend, and other NLEs, had and you don’t get a second chance to make a first impression. Second, and you kind of touch on this, some people forget (or maybe never knew) how crapped on FCP Legend was by ‘the establishment’ right up until the point where the establishment found it useful (it still got crapped on, but not quite as much). Same thing with Avid in the 90’s. Same thing with PPro until a few years ago. Same thing will eventually happen with X (it already is). I think it will just take longer because Apple is so high profile.
On a related note, the ‘ramble rousers’ that used FCP Legend and scoffed at the establishment 15yrs ago are now the establishment looking down at a new tool that could be potentially empowering to the less well off (either in terms of money or skill or both). Same reason why people are upset with the democratization of media/production equipment *today* because it potentially benefited others more than themselves but absolutely loved it 15yrs ago when it benefited them more than others.
-
[Scott Witthaus] “Really? This is one of the silliest statements I have seen on this forum, and believe me there have been some silly statements (some by me!) here.
I guess I am a non-editor too. 35 years in the business and now I find out. Guess I have to return all that revenue that FCPX made for me. And then lower my rates. Darn.”
I think this is one of those ‘all dogs are mammals but not mammals are dogs’ situations. Lillian didn’t say all editors that use X are ‘non-editors’ she said ‘all the non-editors she knows use X’. Along this same line of thought, prior to X coming out I’d say that nearly all (if not all) of the non-editors I knew (directors, shooters, producers, writers, etc.,) used FCP Legend. Of course, many of the editors I knew use FCP Legend too. Relatively few people that didn’t edit as part of their day job knew Avid because the learning curve was much higher than FCP Legends.
These days I run into a lot of directors, shooters, producers, writers, etc., that have to edit every now and then for various reasons and I’d say X is the most common NLE they use (PPro would probably be #2). Why? For similar reasons they were using FCP Legend in 2010. Is it indicative of the ‘ceiling’ that X can edit at? Of course not, but it seems like a forgone conclusion that Apple had the ‘fat middle’ of the market in mind when making X (as opposed to the market segment that edits day in and day out) and the fat middle has a lot of people that do many things including some editing when the need arises.
-
[Bob Woodhead] “Back to the issue, though, I’m going to agree with both Lillian AND Andrew, et al. Over the years, IMHO, PPro has always been more “flaky” than the others.”
Just to clarify my experiences, over the past 2-3yrs that I’ve been using PPro I personally haven’t noticed it being any more temperamental or quirky in general than FCP Legend or Avid (don’t use X so I can’t talk about it first hand). There have been times where corruption, for lack of a better term, has forced me to copy/paste entire FCP projects from one project to another or to copy/paste all the contents from one Avid bin into another in an attempt fix problems so my suggestion about importing one PPro project into anther is actually borne from doing similar things in the past in other NLEs.
-
[Lillian Young] ”
I don’t understand how something can be wrong with multiple systems, but I do see how something can be wrong with one project given multiple Premiere Pro updates. “If it’s the same project(s) that is wonky on all the machines then it could be something wrong with the project. FWIW, over the past 2-3yrs I’ve used PPro on 6 different machines that are across the board in ages (09 MP, ’11 MBP, nMP, etc.,) and I haven’t experienced what you are describing.
Sometimes if I feel like a project is starting to get wonky (crashing, feeling sluggish, etc.,) I’ll create a new project and import the ‘problem’ project into the new project. In my experience that usually does a good job of cleaning out any sort of under-the-hood ‘clutter’ that might gumming up the works in PPro.
-Andrew
-
The future isn’t totally rainbows nor is it totally storm clouds. Old avenues are going away but new ones are opening up. Sure, maybe the day rate heyday some of the older guys experienced is gone forever but that doesn’t mean making a living wage is out of the question. I see a number of job ads in LA that land around the $1500/wk mark and that works out to about $75k/year which is around $20k higher than the median household income in LA. Sure, for a lot of guys used to making six figures that $75k number is low, but it’s not exactly poverty line.
DRW, I’ll take your bet. I’m going to squirrel away $100 a year for the next 10yrs that says I’m still in post production when 01/13/26 rolls around.
-Andrew
-
[Ievgenii Larin] “Right now I’m looking for Show Notes X and Sync-N-Link X alternatives for PP.”
There is a version of Sync-N-Link for PPro, or does that not provide the same functionality as the one for X?
-
Andrew Kimery
January 11, 2016 at 2:19 am in reply to: Sync ALL your clips in a single manipulation with premiere CC?[Marc De Coster] “So, my first question is: Is there a way to select all the video rushes and all the audio rushes and ask Premiere to synchronize them all together? “
Yes, you can use PPros built-in multicam feature to auto sync everything. I use it frequently for 1 camera shoots that have 2nd system sound. For a doc web series a did a while back they would shoot with 2-3 cameras plus 2nd system sound for 8-10hrs a day and I would select everything done that done and tell PPro to sync it up (for that amount of footage it would take 15-20min IIRC).
-Andrew
-
[Bill Davis] “there are ways to mitigate the environmental impact.”
Please tell me they put the waste into large barrels and shoot them into the Sun? 😉
-
[Duke Sweden] “You get the idea. What’s the point of adjusting your image using scopes, and then re-tweaking your image, which totally throws off the scopes?
“Scopes let you know what’s technically going on with your image, but not necessary what’s aesthetically going on with your image. Scopes can also help to ‘keep you honest’ because the human eye adapts to to color shifts very quickly (in something like 20-30 seconds) so if you push something a bit blue and stare at it for 20 seconds or so it will no longer look like it has a blue tint to it, but if you glance at your scopes you’ll be able to see that the image is pushed towards blue.
[Duke Sweden] “When dealing with h264 compressed video is it out of the question that you can adjust highlights, midtones and shadows separately? “
I can’t say I’ve ever run into that before. What filters/effects are you using? To a degree changes made to one portion of the image will impact the other two (ex. if you keep pushing the highlights red eventually the mids and the blacks will start to go reddish too). This constant push/pull balancing act is what makes having a hardware control surface so handy because you can manipulate multiple values at the same time.